Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: everyone's favorite fermentation control method  (Read 3658 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
everyone's favorite fermentation control method
« on: March 29, 2019, 07:06:52 pm »
how do you control fermentation temperature? i have tried alot of methods and lately been using a thermowell but as logical as a thermowell seems it has temp swings and im not really loving it, lets talk temp control
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: everyone's favorite fermentation control method
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 07:20:31 pm »
I use an old fridge in the basement. I installed a thermowell in the lid of my BrewBucket that I insert the temp probe of an Auber two channel plug and play temp controller into. In this photo I am close transferring beer but you can see the white wire coming from the thermowell as well as my heating pad mounted to the wall of the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tim Cline

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:45:18 pm »
I typically use a 14 gal SS Brewtech chronical with a glycol chiller. For smaller batches I use carboys in my large chest freezer that stores full kegs. I wrap the carboy first in a heat wrap connected to a temp controller and then with reflectix insulation. I have equally good and predictable/repeatable results with both methods.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 08:50:41 pm »
I use a refrigerator and a Ranco 2 stage controller. I usually get the wort down to ~80 with a CFC, transfer and put the fermenter in the fridge to cool down to pitching temperature. Once it's cooled down I aerate and pitch. Then, and only then, I put the probe in the thermowell. When active fermentation slows I remove the probe from the thermowell and crank the temperature up a few degrees.

During active fermentation the beer is constantly in motion so the temperature is the same at the sides as in the center of the fermenter. That's why using a thermowell works well, When the motion slows to a crawl and then stops, you're trying to cool the center of the fermetner by removing heat from the sides, so overshooting is a problem..

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:09:25 pm »
I have a polite but firm conversation with the yeast about my expectations before pitching. Seems to work most of the time. But, US-05 refuses to listen so I don’t use that strain anymore.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:56:32 pm by tommymorris »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 11:44:46 pm »
I use a chest freezer. There is a digital probe taped to the side of my carboy covered in foam to read vessel temp and another dangling in air measuring ambient and controlling either the freezer in warm weather, or a 250W ceramic heater during winter. I set ambient around 1.5C below desired ferment temp. adjusting if necessary.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:04:23 am »
Like MNWayne, I monitor the fermentation temperature, but the probe of my controller is in air to control ambient.  (I've seen manufacturers recommend this.)  The large thermal mass of the liquid relative to air keeps it steady while the air temperature fluctuates around the set point.  While some people have luck with the probe in a thermowell or taped to the fermenter,  I'm one who hasn't.  When I tried the probe in a thermowell, either heating or cooling was running nonstop, driving ambient too far in one direction or the other,  and the beer, due to its thermal mass being slower to respond, would eventually catch up and thus had wild fluctuations in temperature.   Controlling ambient is easier on the equipment and more successful in maintaining even temperature in the ferment.   I just have to watch the temperature of the ferment,  because the differential between it and ambient will vary with the vigor of fermentation.  Adjust as necessary.

Oh, and since I switched to fermenting in a 10 gallon corny last year and no longer have a thermowell,  I've gone old school for monitoring the fermenter temperature.  Stick-on liquid crystal Fermometer.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 06:35:41 am »
I converted an old 1970’s kegerator.  I use a Inkbird to control the temperature.  The kegerator does the cooling and I have a reptile heater and a very small fan powered by a USB port for the heating.  So The fan circulates air during the heating cycle.

I strap the sensing element to the carboy using an elastic strap with thermal insulation to shield it from the ambient.  I tried the thermal well concept but the response time is far too long.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 06:56:17 am »
In the Winter, my basement's ambient temperature is in the low sixties, just fine for ales without further ado. in the Summer, I put my Ale Pail fermenter in a plastic tub filled with cool water, and draped with a wet towel. I can adjust the temperature with the addition of frozen water bottles as needed. It's not elegant, but it works just fine.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 07:29:28 am »
I use an old fridge in the basement. I installed a thermowell in the lid of my BrewBucket that I insert the temp probe of an Auber two channel plug and play temp controller into. In this photo I am close transferring beer but you can see the white wire coming from the thermowell as well as my heating pad mounted to the wall of the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The buried lead here is that clever sideways keg move.  I like it, anything that limits lifting heavy objects.  I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 07:55:10 am »
I use a temperature controlled chamber that is ducted into my beer fridge’s freezer compartment. I’ve found that a fancy thermowell is not necessary. I have taped a small 2” by 2” foam block to the side of the fermenter and the probe is inserted between the foam block and fermenter wall. I now have a Tilt and it agrees with the temp controller’s reading. It’s good enough.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:37:18 pm by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 09:17:19 am »
Brewbama: Is the tilted corney during transfer to maximize volume during transfer or to minimize head pressure on the liquid in tube to help the incoming flow?

Sorry for being off topic on this specific thread.

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 09:20:58 am »
Brewbama: Is the tilted corney during transfer to maximize volume during transfer or to minimize head pressure on the liquid in tube to help the incoming flow?

Gee, I just figured he was trying to get the keg below the fermenter without lifting the fermenter... I didn't think of all that complicated stuff on a Saturday morning...  ;D 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 10:06:34 am »

Gee, I just figured he was trying to get the keg below the fermenter without lifting the fermenter... I didn't think of all that complicated stuff on a Saturday morning...  ;D

Both.

Prior to filling with beer, the keg is completely filled with sanitizer and purged with CO2. I lay the keg on a 2x4 with the gas in post up because I want the CO2 bubble to be at the gas in post once filled. I attach the liquid out post to purge the line with CO2 and attach it to the sanitized spigot first. Then I attach the sanitized gas in post and open the spigot. Once beer starts flowing pushing CO2 out of the gas in post I attach it back onto the fermenter lid. I fill until I see beer it the gas in line. Then, I sit it upright, install a tap onto the liquid out post, CO2 to the gas in post and dispense beer until I no longer hear gurgling. I figure this process results in the keg about as oxygen free as I can get.

Additionally, I don’t want to move the fermenter to stir up anything in the cone below the spigot.  So laying it down satisfies two goals.

I need to have a similar conversation. I got a giggle out of this:

I have a polite but firm conversation with the yeast about my expectations before pitching. Seems to work most of the time. But, US-05 refuses to listen so I don’t use that strain anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:21:40 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 11:41:58 am »
3 methods...temp controlled chest freezer, Brewjacket Immersion Pro, and Grainfather Conical with glycol chiller unit
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell