Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: two options for a decent n drinkable 7 to 8% mead - bochet or nice honey mead  (Read 198 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
thoughts on these two ideas?

im lazy and i can get really, really good honey for a decent price but its about  90 min trip there and back. ive had a very great, delicate mead from this before and would like to do it again

vs. me driving 5 mins to the store and buying the same amount of generic pretty flavourless honey for cheaper and cooking it to make a bochet?

does a bochet turn out really well? im interested in trying it or is it a kind of one-trick pony thing?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
I have never made a Bouchet but intend to in the relatively near future.
Either way, this is an easy call for me. Take the drive and get the better honey. I would get a lot of it. I only buy honey in 5 gallon (60#) pails. The price per pound savings is staggering and honey never goes bad so if that much is a lifetime supply for you, so be it, you still saved at least a hundred bucks.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Here's how I made a low-ish ABV (about 9%) mead/cyser that won a Best of Show:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24611.msg314213#msg314213
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 08:52:18 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
I usually aim for 5-8% on my meads (maybe technically hydromels at those strengths), and I've done bochets a couple of times, and I still feel like I need to do a couple more iterations to get it dialed in. I think I'm still chickening out before it gets dark enough, but I think it does add some complexity to cheap Kirkland honey.

So I'd say: Make the drive and get some good honey ... but save it for back-sweetening. Bochet the cheap honey since the heating will probably volatilize the delicate aromatics anyway, and add the good stuff after you're done with the hot part.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 03:33:23 am by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Don't forget that cheap honey has a good chance of being adulterated. Your making something out of just honey, yeast, and water. Buy good honey. Save money by buying in bulk.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.