Author Topic: Vienna lager  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Brewmaster
Re: Vienna lager
« Reply #60 on: Today at 04:05:28 PM »
What is interesting to me about Dreher, is he is credited with bringing new processes, techniques, and a new beer "style" to Austria. He's also credited with created vienna malt. In fairness, his life-long friend and friendly competitor, Gabriel Sedimayr did something similarly successful to a failing brewery in Munich named Spaten. I wonder what these guys would have thought if someone told them their beers do not meet a guideline like the BJCP? I'm not trying to start a conversation on that subject, just personally think its interesting.

Anton Dreher receives more credit due the shear size of his business holdings.

Offline TXFlyGuy

• Brewer
« Reply #61 on: Today at 04:50:59 PM »
It seems to me that since Modelo was bought in 2016, that there have been some changes in their beers. IDK, but it seems closer to a Dunkel than a Vienna.

It's also too sweet now days. I used to really enjoy it but not any more. If I'm at a Mexican Restaurant I'll go for the Dos Equis if it's on draft. Not great, but Hey! The Mexican food around here sucks so bad the Dos Equis taste like a golden dram ...

If the Mexican food sucks, you are living in the wrong state!

I can cook and I like where I live. Plus, I'm pickier than most.

I can cook, and pride myself on being an amateur chef! I like where we live, plus we are very picky. And...we have great Tex-Mex Restaurants all over the place! Sometimes we will slip South-Of-The-Border for some good Mexican. But when in Nuevo Progresso, I drink Margaritas!

If beer is required when in Progresso, Modelo Especial is the beverage of choice.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:05:59 PM by TXFlyGuy »
Now On Tap:

1. Oktoberfest
2. London Porter
3. Oktoberfest (Sam Adams)

Offline fredthecat

• Brewer
« Reply #62 on: Today at 06:27:20 PM »
What is interesting to me about Dreher, is he is credited with bringing new processes, techniques, and a new beer "style" to Austria. He's also credited with created vienna malt. In fairness, his life-long friend and friendly competitor, Gabriel Sedimayr did something similarly successful to a failing brewery in Munich named Spaten. I wonder what these guys would have thought if someone told them their beers do not meet a guideline like the BJCP? I'm not trying to start a conversation on that subject, just personally think its interesting.

i was reading a bit more, and i think i found that anton dreher wanted to replicate english malt by learning about their kilning process - for one coal(coke?) fired ovens. i believe it said that essentially he created vienna malt.

learning about the creation of vienna lager was fascinating, as it shows an early 1800s europe in which beer from the united kingdom is by far the KING for true commercial quality and consistency beer.

Offline TXFlyGuy

• Brewer
« Reply #63 on: Today at 07:49:05 PM »
This may be over kill, but here is another good article:

Grain Bill:
The main ingredient of any good example of Vienna malt is, of course Vienna malt. Depending on whom you ask, a Vienna Lager recipe in its simplest and, some may consider best form, would be 100% Vienna malt. This malt brings the rich toasty slightly nutty malt aspect.

https://learn.kegerator.com/vienna-lager/
Now On Tap:

1. Oktoberfest
2. London Porter
3. Oktoberfest (Sam Adams)

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #64 on: Today at 09:58:03 PM »

i was reading a bit more, and i think i found that anton dreher wanted to replicate english malt by learning about their kilning process - for one coal(coke?) fired ovens. i believe it said that essentially he created vienna malt.

learning about the creation of vienna lager was fascinating, as it shows an early 1800s europe in which beer from the united kingdom is by far the KING for true commercial quality and consistency beer.
Interesting. This explains why Vienna malt tastes kinda close to English Pale Ale malt to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer