Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today’s brew  (Read 18740 times)

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Today’s brew
« Reply #255 on: June 11, 2024, 05:17:52 pm »
Is this a Kvass inspired recipe?  I’m very intrigued as to how this comes out. Please keep us posted.

Not directly — I've just read about people brewing with sourdough cultures, and a friend of ours gave my wife some sourdough starter a little bit ago. I mean, it's all the same bugs: sacc, lacto, etc.

But kvass is definitely on my to-do list.  I just need to convince my wife to try some rye bread.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #256 on: June 11, 2024, 05:47:57 pm »
Is this a Kvass inspired recipe?  I’m very intrigued as to how this comes out. Please keep us posted.

Not directly — I've just read about people brewing with sourdough cultures, and a friend of ours gave my wife some sourdough starter a little bit ago. I mean, it's all the same bugs: sacc, lacto, etc.

But kvass is definitely on my to-do list.  I just need to convince my wife to try some rye bread.

Got it.  Kvass is on my list as well.  Just hoping the wife gets that sourdough starter going like she’s been wanting since Covid.  lol.

Online CounterPressure

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #257 on: June 16, 2024, 04:04:19 pm »
Today I made my first ever try at a Vienna Lager. Pitched the wort on top of 34-70 mixed with S23 (not by choice). Some night this week I hope to do a Wit Pale Ale, though it might have to wait for the lager to be warming up before I can start that.  Refer storage is getting sorta full.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #258 on: June 18, 2024, 05:55:24 am »
Brewing a Festbier today

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Online CounterPressure

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #259 on: June 18, 2024, 07:35:36 am »
No mention of a mash temp.  Where are you mashing at, or are you doing a few steps?
I see you're using equal amounts Gypsum/Calcium Cl.  Similar to my Irish Red, but no mention of any acid additions.  Do you add any?

My recipe for Sunday was a little simpler...
20# Vienna Malt
2.5oz Hersbrucker. 60 min.
Lol.
Obviously there were water adjustments and whirlflock/Yeast Nutrient, but the grain bill / hop schedule was as simple as it gets.

Offline BrewBama

Today’s brew
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2024, 09:58:33 am »
No mention of a mash temp.  Where are you mashing at, or are you doing a few steps?

A typical Hochkurz mash might involve an initial beta amylase (or maltose) rest at approximately 144°F/62°C, a step up to about 158°F/70°C for an alpha amylase (or dextrinization) rest, then finally raising the temperature to 170°F/77°F or so for a mash out step.  I used 140°F and 152°F.

…no mention of any acid additions.  Do you add any?

No. I find my mash is always in the neighborhood of ~5.3 pH
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 05:32:55 am by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #261 on: June 24, 2024, 01:13:03 pm »
Making Cider today

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.