Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Swiss Beer: BAD?  (Read 453 times)

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
Swiss Beer: BAD?
« on: April 15, 2024, 04:47:06 pm »
My wife and I are hoping to be in Switzerland soon, if the people who issue Schengen visas can, for once, be persuaded she will not overstay her visa and become a major crime figure. Of course, I am interested in the beer.

Sadly, my real beginning as a beer drinker occurred in Switzerland when I was 16, I was on a very loosely-chaperoned trip. I spent several weeks in Lucerne with weekend trips to other countries, and for reasons that have never been explained to me, Europeans were more than happy to sell alcohol to kids. A couple of girls I drank with were 14.

The bar we like served draught Guinness and draft Eichhof, a Swiss lager. I thought Eichhof was pretty bad, so I stuck to Guinness.

I have looked around on the web, and I have seen people saying uncomplimentary things about Swiss beer. Is it true that Swiss beer is generally bad? If so, brewing must be the only thing the Swiss don't do better than everyone else.

I don't really trust the taste of my 16-year-old self.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Swiss Beer: BAD?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 04:52:35 pm »
I was in Switzerland a couple of years ago and I don't recall drinking any beer. We stuck to wine.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 08:38:06 am »
Isn't Hurlimann Swiss?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 01:17:30 pm »
When I go to Europe, I always check Ron Pattinson's European Beer Guide. Looks like Switzerland was once a beer wasteland, but craft beer started up in the 1990s.

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/#switzerland

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 04:23:28 pm »
When I was in Lucerne about 5 years ago I had a few beers with meals and just standing across from the hotel at a corner bar. Nothing about them stands out as amazing or as bad. I don't recall any of the names of the beers.

I can only say, it isn't a wasteland but don't I have any "OMG - they where SOOOO GOOD" memories either.
We did drink the little bar out of 3 different beers though so that might have something to do with my recollection too.  ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 05:29:35 pm »
It's been two decades, but my take on most Swiss beer is that it was similar to German Pils, maybe less hops.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 08:10:26 pm »
I was in Switzerland a couple of years ago and I don't recall drinking any beer. We stuck to wine.
Thinking about it a bit more, I do remember drinking one beer in Switzerland. I went to a small town in the country near Basel, where some distant relatives had a family restaurant. When they found out that I brewed beer they offered me their "kitchen beer". They brewed this themselves, but it was not on the menu. It was amber, quite clear, surprisingly hoppy and very tasty.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 07:25:11 am »
… they offered me their "kitchen beer". They brewed this themselves, but it was not on the menu. It was amber, quite clear, surprisingly hoppy and very tasty.
Those type experiences were my favorite during my six years in Europe.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 02:13:25 pm »
The only Swiss brewery I'm familiar with is Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes which makes great but niche beers. Some of their beers make their way to the US.

Outer Range here in Colorado recently opened a second location in the Swiss Alps. Their beers are excellent but you might not want to travel around the world to drink beers from the US.

There are probably some threads on beer advocate recommending places in their travel sub if you haven't already checked those out.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 03:16:10 pm »
The only Swiss brewery I'm familiar with is Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes which makes great but niche beers. Some of their beers make their way to the US.

Outer Range here in Colorado recently opened a second location in the Swiss Alps. Their beers are excellent but you might not want to travel around the world to drink beers from the US.

There are probably some threads on beer advocate recommending places in their travel sub if you haven't already checked those out.

Ever hear of Samichlaus? One of the most iconic beers in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%BCrlimann_Brewery
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell