Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 329865 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3915 on: November 28, 2022, 05:38:22 am »
I brewed yesterday.  For those familiar with New Glarus, I made something that comes close to their "Two Women" lager which is described as a "country lager".  Years ago I emailed them to ask for help with a recipe but they declined to help.  The label says it's Hallertau Mittelfruh hops and only two malts and it seems plausible that it's pilsner and Munich 2.  The yeast character also suggests something like 2308/838 and this Omega German Lager #1 I'm using seems like it's very much this strain or very similar.  So yesterday it was 60% pilsner, 40% mix of Munich 1 and 2, about 23 IBus of HM for 30 and another ounce with 10 minutes left.  About 5%, SRM of maybe 7-8 and IBUs around 26 or so.  I've made this beer many times and even if it's NOT New Glarus Two Women, it's a good homage.  Cheers Beerheads.
Your interpretation sounds like it will be a success.

Great minds think alike. I have a ‘Country’ Helles Export I am planning to brew after another Bock. It’s my Alt recipe with an additional pound of Pils minus the C and roast malts.

I based my version on the ‘German Brewing Team’s’ note but omitted the C and A malts they use:

“Bavarian Helles is commonly brewed in two forms, Helles and Helles Export; however, many smaller breweries in Bavaria produce a more rustic or Country style of Helles. …. Country Helles is a more robust interpretation of Helles, ...”

http://www.germanbrewing.net/docs/On_Brewing_Bavarian_Helles_v3.pdf

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 05:44:52 am by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3916 on: November 28, 2022, 07:06:03 am »
I brewed yesterday.  For those familiar with New Glarus, I made something that comes close to their "Two Women" lager which is described as a "country lager".  Years ago I emailed them to ask for help with a recipe but they declined to help.  The label says it's Hallertau Mittelfruh hops and only two malts and it seems plausible that it's pilsner and Munich 2.  The yeast character also suggests something like 2308/838 and this Omega German Lager #1 I'm using seems like it's very much this strain or very similar.  So yesterday it was 60% pilsner, 40% mix of Munich 1 and 2, about 23 IBus of HM for 30 and another ounce with 10 minutes left.  About 5%, SRM of maybe 7-8 and IBUs around 26 or so.  I've made this beer many times and even if it's NOT New Glarus Two Women, it's a good homage.  Cheers Beerheads.
Your interpretation sounds like it will be a success.

Great minds think alike. I have a ‘Country’ Helles Export I am planning to brew after another Bock. It’s my Alt recipe with an additional pound of Pils minus the C and roast malts.

I based my version on the ‘German Brewing Team’s’ note but omitted the C and A malts they use:

“Bavarian Helles is commonly brewed in two forms, Helles and Helles Export; however, many smaller breweries in Bavaria produce a more rustic or Country style of Helles. …. Country Helles is a more robust interpretation of Helles, ...”

http://www.germanbrewing.net/docs/On_Brewing_Bavarian_Helles_v3.pdf

*Disclaimer*: Any comment I add is simply the way I brew beer. I am not paid or sponsored by anyone. There are certainly other ways that can be equally effective which other brewers may contribute. This is what I’ve found that works for me using my equipment and processes so I offer this for your consideration. YMMV
I had never heard this term "country lager" before I saw this beer by New Glarus although I realize that there are small German breweries everywhere producing delicious beer of their own design.  This beer "Two Women" refers to the woman who runs New Glarus with her husband (Deb Carey) and also the woman who apparently runs Weyermann Malting... it was a collaboration of sorts.  In the past the beer seemed slightly more amber-colored.  I got some this year and it seemed more pale.  The hops are restrained and the overall character of the beer is "soft".  Here's a shot of a glass of this beer I made in 2021...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.