Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585878 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #1020 on: February 13, 2016, 03:27:05 pm »
man that looks super hop hazy...looks like a wit!  hows it taste?

I think it's a combination of hops and flour (that seems to be the current trendy thing to add).  It tastes like a 75/25 mix of grapefruit and orange juice.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1021 on: February 13, 2016, 03:28:51 pm »

I think it's a combination of hops and flour (that seems to be the current trendy thing to add).  It tastes like a 75/25 mix of grapefruit and orange juice.

sounds good.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1022 on: February 13, 2016, 07:35:59 pm »

I find it funny that it would be trendy to add flour. I have an oooollld recipe book that has flour additions for every wheat beer and Belgian beer in it.  I always assumed it was because wheat extract wasn't available at the time. I just went to the basement to search for it so I could post the title but I can't find it. Anyway I think it was printed in the 70s.

What's old is new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #1023 on: February 13, 2016, 07:48:57 pm »
I find it funny that it would be trendy to add flour. I have an oooollld recipe book that has flour additions for every wheat beer and Belgian beer in it.  I always assumed it was because wheat extract wasn't available at the time. I just went to the basement to search for it so I could post the title but I can't find it. Anyway I think it was printed in the 70s.

What's old is new.

Yep, it's the trendy thing to add wheat flour to (D)IPAs.  That's why many of the Northeast ones look like cloudy messes.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1024 on: February 13, 2016, 08:41:59 pm »
Still can't find the book but I know what it is. It's actually from the 90s. From the Brewing Classic Styles series. Belgian ales by Pierre Rajotte.

Flour in just about every recipe from my recollection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #1025 on: February 14, 2016, 09:19:34 am »

What's old is new.

Yep, it's the trendy thing to add wheat flour to (D)IPAs.  That's why many of the Northeast ones look like cloudy messes.
Why are they doing this?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1026 on: February 14, 2016, 10:12:12 am »
If you want to see a really serious haze add ungelatinized rice flour to the mash.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1027 on: February 14, 2016, 10:33:48 am »
Why are they doing this?

My thought, too. I can't come up with a reason it makes sense, unless they just want to look really different than some of the clearer West coast beers like Pliny ? Looks Wit-like or even turbid to me. Think I'll pass on doing that to mine.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1028 on: February 14, 2016, 10:58:59 am »
Why are they doing this?

My thought, too. I can't come up with a reason it makes sense, unless they just want to look really different than some of the clearer West coast beers like Pliny ? Looks Wit-like or even turbid to me. Think I'll pass on doing that to mine.

This has to be some obsurd hipster movement. Count me out of this too. It may taste fine, but it looks like it was brewed in a washing machine.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1029 on: February 14, 2016, 11:26:08 am »
This has to be some obsurd hipster movement. Count me out of this too. It may taste fine, but it looks like it was brewed in a washing machine.

Yeah, looks like the pint you pour out when the keg blows. Pass.

Edit -  No offense intended, Toby. It sounds tasty. Just scratching my head on the flour thing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:34:02 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1030 on: February 14, 2016, 11:47:42 am »
Ok. I did a little homework on this beer. Tired Hands does not have much on their website, but what I can gather elsewhere is that this beer and HopHands APA are brewed with a large amount of oats in the grist. I found nothing on flour. I feel better about oats than I did with flour. Though still not pretty, I'd give it a shot. I still don't think I'd brew anything like this though, but you never know.
Frank

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1031 on: February 14, 2016, 04:58:09 pm »
I feel like by keeping them uber-hazy they don't have to worry about filtering which probably allows for a better hop aroma and flavor. IMO there are other ways of doing this without selling a turbid looking product. Even when I have poured a Heady Topper out of the can it is filled with yeast and chunks floating in the glass unless you are very careful.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1032 on: February 14, 2016, 05:06:14 pm »
I feel like by keeping them uber-hazy they don't have to worry about filtering which probably allows for a better hop aroma and flavor. IMO there are other ways of doing this without selling a turbid looking product. Even when I have poured a Heady Topper out of the can it is filled with yeast and chunks floating in the glass unless you are very careful.

If it was just not wanting to filter the tasty hop haze, I totally get that. But it's what Toby says about adding wheat flour that has me at a loss.
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #1033 on: February 14, 2016, 07:06:48 pm »
Why are they doing this?

Supposedly really helps the body/foam without adding 'too much malt flavor'.  Not something I'm personally planning to take up.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2015/06/hop-juice-north-east-ipa-recipe.html

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1034 on: February 14, 2016, 07:39:28 pm »

Doesn't the can say not to pour it?