Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 575438 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #1215 on: March 11, 2016, 08:58:12 am »
Ken, what do you do to clean your beer glasses, out of curiosity ? Definitely helps (or hurts) head retention and quality.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1216 on: March 11, 2016, 09:00:21 am »
Ken, what do you do to clean your beer glasses, out of curiosity ? Definitely helps (or hurts) head retention and quality.

quite honestly-most just get hot water rinse right after.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1217 on: March 11, 2016, 09:02:08 am »

Same here. My beers have consistently good foam, not always as nice as your pics.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1218 on: March 11, 2016, 09:03:41 am »

Same here. My beers have consistently good foam, not always as nice as your pics.

man - I can't do the rinse with hot water only thing.  tried.  ALWAYs have nucleation sites all over the glass.  I like my Meyers soap, glass brush and hot rinse method. 

just rinsing would be so much easier.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1219 on: March 11, 2016, 09:07:38 am »

man - I can't do the rinse with hot water only thing.  tried.  ALWAYs have nucleation sites all over the glass.  I like my Meyers soap, glass brush and hot rinse method. 

just rinsing would be so much easier.

i don't think I even have a glass with nucleation points. most of mine are old school from 1990's.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #1220 on: March 11, 2016, 09:21:16 am »
i don't think I even have a glass with nucleation points. most of mine are old school from 1990's.

not in the glass.  bubbles clinging to unclean surfaces.  hot rinse just doesn't cut it at my house.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1221 on: March 11, 2016, 09:26:31 am »

not in the glass.  bubbles clinging to unclean surfaces.  hot rinse just doesn't cut it at my house.

I'm gonna upgrade my cleaning. My foam is good now (sometimes great) and would get better with better cleaning. I run glasses through the dishwasher on the bottom rack, right over the jets, and then rinse like hell with hot water. I may try what you do.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1222 on: March 11, 2016, 10:00:42 am »

;D

I thought you were talking about those newer glasses with the nucleation points etched in bottom of them.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1223 on: March 11, 2016, 10:36:22 am »

I thought you were talking about those newer glasses with the nucleation points etched in bottom of them.

Those SN Spiegelaus have a hop cone etched into the bottom. Doesn't make the beer taste any better, but kinda cool anyway.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1224 on: March 11, 2016, 10:42:16 am »

Those SN Spiegelaus have a hop cone etched into the bottom. Doesn't make the beer taste any better, but kinda cool anyway.

cool-my generic ones don't have that.

perhaps the secret to both foam and retention is a combination of things- enough proteins in the beer, high viscosity, proper carbonation and temp, clean glassware, and even high alpha bittering hops....the latter is one I just read article on and indicates use of a high alpha bittering hop such as magnum can aid the head retention.  Interesting as I do tend to use a high alpha for bittering in many of my beers.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1225 on: March 11, 2016, 10:53:47 am »

perhaps the secret to both foam and retention is a combination of things- enough proteins in the beer, high viscosity, proper carbonation and temp, clean glassware, and even high alpha bittering hops....the latter is one I just read article on and indicates use of a high alpha bittering hop such as magnum can aid the head retention.  Interesting as I do tend to use a high alpha for bittering in many of my beers.

I agree it's definitely a combo of factors. I normally bitter with high AA, too. I bittered the helles with Mittelfrueh, though, so I'm curious to see the foam there. I hadn't bittered with noble for awhile, so I wanted to re-asess whether I got any slight noble character from that. I'm pretty sure the long alpha rest had to help some with foam though.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1226 on: March 11, 2016, 10:56:42 am »

I agree it's definitely a combo of factors. I normally bitter with high AA, too. I bittered the helles with Mittelfrueh, though, so I'm curious to see the foam there. I hadn't bittered with noble for awhile, so I wanted to re-asess whether I got any slight noble character from that. I'm pretty sure the long alpha rest had to help some with foam though.

yeah I left that out as that's something relatively new for me, and while it does show to improve its not part of my ale process or previous lagers.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1227 on: March 11, 2016, 11:00:43 am »

yeah I left that out as that's something relatively new for me, and while it does show to improve its not part of my ale process or previous lagers.

Right, definitely doesn't explain the ESB.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1228 on: March 11, 2016, 11:13:06 am »
Denny has a link to a BYO article he typically posts when the topic of head foaming and retention comes up.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1229 on: March 11, 2016, 11:43:31 am »

Denny has a link to a BYO article he typically posts when the topic of head foaming and retention comes up.

Think that's what I read and referenced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale