Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585971 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #1980 on: August 26, 2016, 08:19:45 pm »
Yeah, pretty beer. Sounds wonderful.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #1981 on: August 27, 2016, 06:57:54 am »
Thought to myself "That's a pretty beer", and I remembered this thread.

Marionberry lambic. In the primary for a year and change, and on fruit for 4 months of that:

Very nice! I've made many sour beers with fruit, but never marionberries. How does it taste?
Dan Chisholm

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1982 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:30 pm »
My new Ofest - first batch with Brewtan B. Also the first batch using all Barke malts. Wiped the condensation but it's so sticky here that it came right back. Anyway, it's easily the best Ofest I've ever made. Lots of malt complexity and richness with zero crystal. I'm gonna reluctantly say it has 'it'.

Looks great. I've been dry now since early summer. Must start brewing again so will have to get some yeast going.

This brewtan is the anti o2 stuff , right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1983 on: August 29, 2016, 06:57:23 pm »
Thanks, Ken. It's clear as can be minus the condensation. Very tasty. Yeah, Brewtan B is supposed to interfere with the oxygen's ability to oxidize malt compounds. Malt character seems enhanced and better so far - just my feeling since I haven't done a side by side yet. And it helps with clarity, too. Also supposed to greatly help shelf stability. I bottled a couple to sample at 6 months out. I've brewed with it a few times now and plan to keep using it. Good to see you back, better get at it ! Looked like a great vacation.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #1984 on: August 29, 2016, 07:34:09 pm »
Thanks, Ken. It's clear as can be minus the condensation. Very tasty. Yeah, Brewtan B is supposed to interfere with the oxygen's ability to oxidize malt compounds. Malt character seems enhanced and better so far - just my feeling since I haven't done a side by side yet. And it helps with clarity, too. Also supposed to greatly help shelf stability. I bottled a couple to sample at 6 months out. I've brewed with it a few times now and plan to keep using it. Good to see you back, better get at it ! Looked like a great vacation.
That is a great looking beer. You guys have convinced me to try some Brewtan B. I just got some Barke malts in the mail. Can't wait to try them.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1985 on: August 29, 2016, 07:38:53 pm »
Thanks, Tommy.
Jon H.

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
« Reply #1986 on: August 29, 2016, 08:41:25 pm »
Thought to myself "That's a pretty beer", and I remembered this thread.

Marionberry lambic. In the primary for a year and change, and on fruit for 4 months of that:

Very nice! I've made many sour beers with fruit, but never marionberries. How does it taste?

Quite refined, really. The tartness of the fruit nicely offsets the sourness of the bugs. It's less intense than blackberries, leaning more toward the tart character of a raspberry.

I'm more of an IPA guy, and I wasn't so sure how this one was going to turn out, especially since quite a few people think keeping a beer in a bucket primary for a year is nuts, but I was quite pleased how it ended up.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #1987 on: August 30, 2016, 08:21:48 am »
Yeah, Brewtan B is supposed to interfere with the oxygen's ability to oxidize malt compounds. Malt character seems enhanced and better so far - just my feeling since I haven't done a side by side yet. And it helps with clarity, too. Also supposed to greatly help shelf stability.
This past week I brewed my 13th and 14th batches of beer with Brewtan B.  In fact, last night a keg went down (festbier) and that was the last non-brewtan beer I had... everything going forward is brewtan.  It's going to be very interesting if/when we get some evidence of whether this stuff is actually doing anything or not.  At this point it's all opinion and I've heard some brewers say it's doing something magical while others are not sure.  For me, I feel like I'm making the best beer I've ever made... clean, soft, smooth, clear, silky.  Malt flavors pop.  Hops come through with better clarity.  Malty styles are deep and rich.  Hoppy styles are bright & clean.  Eventually we'll have a verdict but I agree with Hoosier... I plan to keep using it.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1988 on: August 30, 2016, 08:41:09 am »
Yeah, Brewtan B is supposed to interfere with the oxygen's ability to oxidize malt compounds. Malt character seems enhanced and better so far - just my feeling since I haven't done a side by side yet. And it helps with clarity, too. Also supposed to greatly help shelf stability.
This past week I brewed my 13th and 14th batches of beer with Brewtan B.  In fact, last night a keg went down (festbier) and that was the last non-brewtan beer I had... everything going forward is brewtan.  It's going to be very interesting if/when we get some evidence of whether this stuff is actually doing anything or not.  At this point it's all opinion and I've heard some brewers say it's doing something magical while others are not sure.  For me, I feel like I'm making the best beer I've ever made... clean, soft, smooth, clear, silky.  Malt flavors pop.  Hops come through with better clarity.  Malty styles are deep and rich.  Hoppy styles are bright & clean.  Eventually we'll have a verdict but I agree with Hoosier... I plan to keep using it.

I agree, it's just anecdotal at this point. But I do like these beers a lot. Still have to believe the BMC guys wouldn't spend who knows how much at their scale on this stuff when they didn't see a value. My feeling is that its biggest value might be in shelf life/stability since their stuff often sits on store shelves for periods of time. Maybe not so critical for homebrewers who go through batches fairly quickly often times. But if it actually does interfere with oxidation, it's seems reasonable to think that malt character could be improved.
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #1989 on: August 30, 2016, 09:39:11 am »

I agree, it's just anecdotal at this point. But I do like these beers a lot. Still have to believe the BMC guys wouldn't spend who knows how much at their scale on this stuff when they didn't see a value. My feeling is that its biggest value might be in shelf life/stability since their stuff often sits on store shelves for periods of time. Maybe not so critical for homebrewers who go through batches fairly quickly often times. But if it actually does interfere with oxidation, it's seems reasonable to think that malt character could be improved.
Agreed.  The other point (that I have mentioned before) is that we all have different systems and we all introduce varying amounts of O2 and brewtan may help some people more than it helps others.  My setup is old and very manual... lots of pouring, splashing, stirring, recircing, racking, etc.  If the GBF guys are saying that O2-pickup on brewday can instantly rob your beer of deep malt character, that suggests that there is a very nice short-term benefit to the brewtan as well.  Now we just need a North American supplier to make it easier for us to get our hands on it!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #1990 on: August 30, 2016, 09:48:54 am »
I was just going to ask where I can find this stuff. Sounds pretty difficult.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1991 on: August 30, 2016, 09:54:21 am »

Ships from Australia so the wait is 2-3 weeks. It's cheap so the shipping is more than the product. Still not bad. Definitely worth it to me.

http://www.ibrew.com.au/products/brewtan-b
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #1992 on: August 30, 2016, 10:24:29 am »

Ships from Australia so the wait is 2-3 weeks. It's cheap so the shipping is more than the product. Still not bad. Definitely worth it to me.

http://www.ibrew.com.au/products/brewtan-b
Exactly.  I ordered two 50g packages of it so I am set for awhile but Wyeast distributes it out of the US... but only to commercial breweries.  It may happen at some point that they open that up to homebrewers too.  I do think it's wild that commercial breweries use it (I understand that they want their products to have a long shelf life) but just the fact that they use it tells me that this stuff is not just unicorn dust.  They must assume that it's doing something positive to their beer which is encouraging that I'm not just dreaming that my beers are better with brewtan as an ingredient.  I had also never heard of it until Denny mentioned it which was in the wake of the GBF information so I suppose I have the GBF guys and also Denny to thank for bringing this stuff to our attention.  I ordered my supply from iBrew... Hoosier's link.  Cheers Beerheads.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1993 on: August 30, 2016, 10:28:33 am »
Agreed.  The other point (that I have mentioned before) is that we all have different systems and we all introduce varying amounts of O2 and brewtan may help some people more than it helps others.  My setup is old and very manual... lots of pouring, splashing, stirring, recircing, racking, etc.  If the GBF guys are saying that O2-pickup on brewday can instantly rob your beer of deep malt character, that suggests that there is a very nice short-term benefit to the brewtan as well.  Now we just need a North American supplier to make it easier for us to get our hands on it!  :D

No joke! And my process is old school homebrewing, too - ie., pouring splashing, etc.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #1994 on: August 30, 2016, 10:56:46 am »
Brewed my first brew tan beer yesterday. A moderately hopped Helles Export (dortmunder). Should be a good beer to make an initial observation on with brew tan.

Can't get over how amazing all of these beer pics look!  Great job guys! Wish you all lived closer, so I could try them all!