Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 578593 times)

The Beerery

Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #2115 on: November 20, 2016, 06:30:09 am »
Just tapped the second festbier of the season yesterday. 30% vienna, 10% munich, 1.056 to 1.009. Good stuff..

Some recent pils:

Helles:

Export Helles:

What are you doing to get the beers so clear?  I'm a clear-beer freak but these beers look filtered.  Something with the mash, gel, biofine, etc?  Yep, they look good.

I use a mash filter with a constant recirculation, employ a hockurz mash(30@143, 30@162, 10@168),  using sauergut I target 5.2 mash.

I boil soft, and add whirlfock and a 10 minute sauergut addition to drop pH to 5.1 or below at knockout. I employ a hot break whirlpool and then separately do a cold trub separation.

I ferment cold 45ish, with a ton of healthy yeast(2206) and am at FG in 7-8 days(beer is spunded after 5). After fg I let beer lager for 2 weeks at 30f. 5 weeks from brew-date the beers look like this, no fining agents or filtering( too much oxidation!), just good ole process.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #2116 on: November 20, 2016, 11:08:58 am »
Marlberry Pils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:18:07 am by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2117 on: November 20, 2016, 11:41:36 am »
Looks damn good, Paul!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2118 on: November 20, 2016, 01:44:46 pm »
Man, agreed. This should be called the Thirsty Thread....All these beers make me want to put my kids to bed right now, so I can start drinking early.  ;D

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2119 on: November 21, 2016, 11:16:04 am »
I ferment cold 45ish, with a ton of healthy yeast(2206) and am at FG in 7-8 days(beer is spunded after 5). After fg I let beer lager for 2 weeks at 30f. 5 weeks from brew-date the beers look like this, no fining agents or filtering( too much oxidation!), just good ole process.

That's awesome.  My ales will clear to that level, but it takes a solid 4-6 weeks of post-fermentation cold storage at 38f.  I'd love to cut that down to 2-3 weeks.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2120 on: November 23, 2016, 05:00:04 pm »

My new Cleopatra APA, my first stab at low oxygen brewing, at 3 weeks. Yeah, the foam is killer. The only haze is from dry hopping. But there's a lot going on at once - I preboiled the water, used 50ppm SMB, but also (per the recently posted Bamforth paper) used a late addition of Brewtan (gallotannin) and PVPP (actually used the Brewbrite mixture of Polyclar and whirlfloc). So I undoubtedly broke the rules by changing multiple variables at once. Thing is, the beer is fantastic and there are justifications for all those changes. So I'm going forward with this as my MO.

Interestingly, this is my house APA recipe, brewed it many times, and the color is slightly but noticeably lighter, giving more credence to the low oxygen brewers reported results of lighter colored beers. Aside from that, yes, the malt quality is very fresh and well defined. It has IT. As a footnote, the Cleopatra hops are very nice - first hops I've bought from Ted Hausotter. Citrusy, tropical/mango, slight pine, slight spiciness. Best APA I've ever made, period. I'm sold.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2121 on: November 23, 2016, 05:02:19 pm »

My new Cleopatra APA, my first stab at low oxygen brewing, at 3 weeks. Yeah, the foam is killer. The only haze is from dry hopping. But there's a lot going on at once - I preboiled the water, used 50ppm SMB, but also (per the recently posted Bamforth paper) used a late addition of Brewtan (gallotannin) and PVPP (actually used the Brewbrite mixture of Polyclar and whirlfloc). So I undoubtedly broke the rules by changing multiple variables at once. Thing is, the beer is fantastic and there are justifications for all those changes. So I'm going forward with this as my MO.

Interestingly, this is my house APA recipe, brewed it many times, and the color is slightly but noticeably lighter, giving more credence to the low oxygen brewers reported results of lighter colored beers. Aside from that, yes, the malt quality is very fresh and well defined. It has IT. As a footnote, the Cleopatra hops are very nice - first hops I've bought from Ted Hausotter. Citrusy, tropical/mango, slight pine, slight spiciness. Best APA I've ever made, period. I'm sold.
She's a beauty!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2122 on: November 23, 2016, 05:14:17 pm »
Thanks, man!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2123 on: November 23, 2016, 05:21:49 pm »
Thanks, man!

Damn you Jon!  Now I got to start wrapping my head around how I can integrate Lodo into my shi**y setup. Good to hear you had some good results. Beer looks amazing by the way!

The Beerery

« Reply #2124 on: November 23, 2016, 05:23:38 pm »
Boomshakalaka.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2125 on: November 23, 2016, 05:25:25 pm »
Boomshakalaka.

I really appreciate you fielding the long list of questions!  Next it gets real - Munich Dunkel. I've brewed it enough to nitpick, too.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #2126 on: November 23, 2016, 05:33:26 pm »
For sure. Happy you saw some good results. Now that you have tasted "it" you will also now know when you lose it, and fight like hell to keep it. Prost.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2127 on: November 23, 2016, 05:38:31 pm »
Thanks, man!

Damn you Jon!  Now I got to start wrapping my head around how I can integrate Lodo into my shi**y setup. Good to hear you had some good results. Beer looks amazing by the way!

Rob, FWIW my system is old school and I worked with it, though some upgrades are in the works at some point. Can be done pretty easily! Gonna try the yeast scavenging method on the water next time, though.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #2128 on: November 23, 2016, 05:43:45 pm »
Thanks, man!

Rob, FWIW my system is old school and I worked with it, though some upgrades are in the works at some point. Can be done pretty easily! Gonna try the yeast scavenging method on the water next time, though.

Reserve that for the next time you brew an ale. Keep the lagers with preboil PLEASE!  The level of it with preboil is about double.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2129 on: November 23, 2016, 06:06:00 pm »
Thanks, man!

Reserve that for the next time you brew an ale. Keep the lagers with preboil PLEASE!  The level of it with preboil is about double.

OK, I see what you're saying. I'll plan to work it in to the lager schedule.
Jon H.