Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 578493 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2014, 06:35:51 pm »
Yeah, it does stay in suspension for sure. I crashed most of it out last time and used gelatin to get it fairly clear. But there are other strains that will drop out easier, no doubt.

EDIT - But I don't bottle. It's a little easier to deal with in keg.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:38:00 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2014, 06:36:21 pm »

Just a few of my recent beer, Edinburgh Immigrant. It's an American Scotch Heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
that sure does look tasty! Great photo as well.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline deathlylost

• Cellarman
    • 1000 Bottles of Beer
« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2014, 06:46:30 pm »
Also, deathlylost you have some definite photographic skills.  Great pics. So describe this American Scotch Heavy for me - traditional grist and OG? American hops I assume, or domestic malts? IBU ? Sounds like a variation on the American Barleywine. Interesting.

Recipe below. It has both American and English hops. I didn't have access to the English Pale malt like I wanted. Limited supply here in Hawaii and shipping is not ideal. Despite that, it came out nicely.

Edinburgh Immigrant
OG: 1.036
FG: 1.012
ABV: 3.2%
IBU: 18
6lb Light Malt Extract
2 oz. Roast Barley
2 oz. Peated Malt
12 oz. Munich Malt
6 oz. Crystal 10
1.08 AAU Cascade (.2 oz. of 5.4% aa @ 40  minutes)
1 AAU Fuggles (.2 oz. of 5% aa @ 40 minutes)
4.5 AAU Cascade  (.5 oz. 9% aa @ 40 minutes)
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 10 minutes
Fermentis Safale US-05

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2014, 06:51:22 pm »
Gotcha - gotta work with what you have! Thanks.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #259 on: April 10, 2014, 08:27:28 am »
I guess the "Heavy" is a tilt of sarcasm?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #260 on: April 10, 2014, 02:18:36 pm »

here's a shot of my Belgian IPA I get to finally enjoy on a day that actually feels spring like!
I prefer my IPAs in the shade... So I can actually enjoy them ;-)
not sure what that means..... It's been below freezing in Chicago since November and was 60 today so after work I kicked back on the porch and enjoyed a beer;)
haha no worries.  I was just joking around.  the UV light from the sun reacts with isomerized hop oils in the beer to create the lightstruck/"skunky' aroma and flavor in beer.  The reaction can happen really quickly is a light colored highly hopped beer.  So I was just joking about the IPA in the sun... Like in the Corona commercials where you always see them sitting their clear bottles out in direct sunlight on the beach lol.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #261 on: April 10, 2014, 04:13:11 pm »

here's a shot of my Belgian IPA I get to finally enjoy on a day that actually feels spring like!
not sure what that means..... It's been below freezing in Chicago since November and was 60 today so after work I kicked back on the porch and enjoyed a beer;)
haha no worries.  I was just joking around.  the UV light from the sun reacts with isomerized hop oils in the beer to create the lightstruck/"skunky' aroma and flavor in beer.  The reaction can happen really quickly is a light colored highly hopped beer.  So I was just joking about the IPA in the sun... Like in the Corona commercials where you always see them sitting their clear bottles out in direct sunlight on the beach lol.
no worries, we're all good, just tried to snap a nice pic:)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #262 on: April 10, 2014, 11:08:34 pm »

Difference between a heavy and a wee heavy is the heavy is just slightly heavier than a 60/- while a wee heavy will knock you over
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline deathlylost

• Cellarman
    • 1000 Bottles of Beer
« Reply #263 on: April 10, 2014, 11:28:07 pm »

Difference between a heavy and a wee heavy is the heavy is just slightly heavier than a 60/- while a wee heavy will knock you over

Yeah. I never understood the choice of words. I wouldn't have described a beer style with abv of 3.2 - 3.9 as heavy. It's like Starbucks version of grande and tall, neither grand or tall. Hmmm. Good beer style though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:10 am »

This happens on any light colored beer when I drink outside for me. It doesn't even have to be in direct sunlight. I start to smell a skunky aroma almost immediately. For this reason, I've kind of started to not enjoy drinking outside, unless I use an opaque drinking vessel, like an enclosed or ceramic mug.
Jesse

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2014, 07:57:55 am »

This happens on any light colored beer when I drink outside for me. It doesn't even have to be in direct sunlight. I start to smell a skunky aroma almost immediately. For this reason, I've kind of started to not enjoy drinking outside, unless I use an opaque drinking vessel, like an enclosed or ceramic mug.
Yep it only takes a matter of seconds for the reaction to occur in a lighter colored beer... It will happen in darker beers as well.. It just takes a little longer.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2014, 03:49:34 pm »

My first sour beer, a Flander's Red. Kegged a couple weeks ago and almost gone already!
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #267 on: April 14, 2014, 04:11:49 pm »

My first sour beer, a Flander's Red. Kegged a couple weeks ago and almost gone already!

Nice work. Looks tasty !
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #268 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:51 am »
Yummm...!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #269 on: April 15, 2014, 02:28:03 pm »
Here's a picture of my Allagash White Clone that was mentioned in the Wit yeast thread as well as the thread on summer beer styles
Notice the snow in the background, nothing like a little winter in Chicago. On April 15th!