Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 578616 times)

Offline Kochhandwerk

• Cellarman
    • koch.technology
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #2640 on: June 19, 2017, 09:14:56 am »
Belgian Wit! Lost a lot of the wheat haze in the keg already.

It's tasty, but I'm much more excited about the Game of Thrones-inspired braggot I have in the fermenter right now. It's 5 pounds of honey, 3 ounces of juniper as a late boil addition, and enough barley and wheat malt to hit 1.082 OG.  I used one of my favorite strains, WyYeast 3711 French Saison to make it dry and funky.

Nice! I love that yeast strain. What gave you the inspiration for the recipe? I'm still working through the books, but I don't remember Jon and Sam having an extended conversation about brewing. Maybe that's in the focus of the next book? Is this based a bit more on some of the Nordic brewing traditions?

I can't recall whether it was the books or show, but in the Wildling camp, Jon is offered "proper northern drink", which is presumably very strong. It's also possibly, fermented goat milk, which is not the direction I went, hah.  I figure that the Northerners would make do with whatever they could get to grow, so a mixture of barley and wheat made sense to me.  Hops were not common throughout most of real human history, so I assume folks in Westeros probably used a gruit-like bittering mixture, which is why there is very little hops and a lot of juniper in my mix.  House Mormont live on Bear Island, so I'd like to think there are some bees in the North when they have time to recuperate from winter, and mead is a very old drink, so I chose to make a braggot.  The yeast I chose because it would attenuate to a great extent and I think the esters its produces are a simple way to produce wild character without actually introducing a wild or Brett strain into my equipment.

I made Graf (malt and apple beer) for Dark Tower while I was reading the series; that was a lot more straight-forward!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2641 on: June 20, 2017, 03:21:24 pm »
Score!! Found a 2+ year old bottle of bottle conditioned Tripel (8.5 abv) behind a couple of bigger bottles in my beer fridge. Thought the batch was long gone. All in all, it's still excellent. Gotta like it.

Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #2642 on: June 20, 2017, 03:28:57 pm »
Score!! Found a 2+ year old bottle of bottle conditioned Tripel (8.5 abv) behind a couple of bigger bottles in my beer fridge. Thought the batch was long gone. All in all, it's still excellent. Gotta like it.

I love it when that happens - probably subconsciously on purpose, right??  I "lost" a case of barleywine in my mother's basement for nearly a decade and still have some, that must be around 15 years old.  It originally was "forgotten" because at that time I didn't re-dose with yeast before bottling and it is still.  Nevertheless always intriguing to try a bottle and at around 11% ABV it's held up remarkably well (cool-cellared for the last 5 years or so).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2643 on: June 20, 2017, 03:33:44 pm »
Actually I put a few bottles of it back to age in a different spot (more of a 'cellar' environment). This one I think just worked its way back behind some 750ml bottles and it was outta sight, outta mind. I love a good surprise!
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2644 on: June 23, 2017, 04:22:49 pm »
Azacca/Lemon Drop APA. Man, it's a great summer beer and going fast.

Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2645 on: June 23, 2017, 06:51:46 pm »
Man I have to get rolling. Looks awesome Jon, that foam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2646 on: June 23, 2017, 07:37:11 pm »

Thanks, man!  It's tasty.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2647 on: June 23, 2017, 07:54:49 pm »

Looks great. Do you mind sharing your grain bill?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2648 on: June 23, 2017, 08:11:59 pm »

Not a bit. It's silly simple.

75.5% Briess 2 row.
17.5% Muntons MO (not my very favorite MO, using up what I had. Works fine here, though).
7% C40

152F/60

WY1450

Next sunny day, I'll get another pic- it's paler than it looks there.

Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2649 on: June 23, 2017, 08:17:03 pm »

75.5% Briess 2 row.
17.5% Muntons MO (not my very favorite MO, using up what I had. Works fine here, though).
7% C40

152F/60

WY1450

Thanks for the recipe. I find simple is often better.  I have been into hops lately. I have been brewing reds and SMASH pale ales. I want to brew a more traditional APA.

I was wondering about the color. The glass you have it in looks pretty wide up top. The bottom section looks a lot lighter.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2650 on: June 23, 2017, 08:26:53 pm »
Yeah, simple is almost always better IMO. I've used biscuit and Victory to get a little toastiness, but the MO is a softer toasty character, and doesn't come off like a bitter at that small amount . The glass is one of the Spiegelau IPA glasses - it's smaller but weighted on the bottom, and the glass is light, thin crystal so it's pretty stable actually.
As for the hops, FWIW I added 40 IBU Magnum @ 60 (no more boil hops), then cooled to 175F and added 2.25 oz each of Azacca and Lemon Drop to steep for 30 mins. Dry hopped 1.5 oz of each.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2651 on: June 23, 2017, 09:09:05 pm »
Yeah, simple is almost always better IMO. I've used biscuit and Victory to get a little toastiness, but the MO is a softer toasty character, and doesn't come off like a bitter at that small amount . The glass is one of the Spiegelau IPA glasses - it's smaller but weighted on the bottom, and the glass is light, thin crystal so it's pretty stable actually.
As for the hops, FWIW I added 40 IBU Magnum @ 60 (no more boil hops), then cooled to 175F and added 2.25 oz each of Azacca and Lemon Drop to steep for 30 mins. Dry hopped 1.5 oz of each.
Thanks! Hops sound good too.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2652 on: June 25, 2017, 04:45:03 pm »
Azacca/Lemon Drop APA. Man, it's a great summer beer and going fast.

Same beer, more sunlight today. This is the real color. Good stuff regardless.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:00:10 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2653 on: June 25, 2017, 06:21:47 pm »

75.5% Briess 2 row.
7% C40

152F/60

WY1450

Luv that recipe Jon.  Is there a dry yeast that's close to WY1450 or might work OK?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2654 on: June 25, 2017, 06:32:08 pm »
I could be wrong, but I don't believe there's a dry equivalent. Regardless, I normally use 1056 for APA, so S05 would work great. 1450 is nice for the fuller mouthfeel though. All things equal, it's my house recipe APA (other than rotating hops) and it works great with 1056/05.
Jon H.