Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585992 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #2970 on: December 28, 2017, 06:25:58 am »
Had to go back to the Kölsch tonight.  Just such a quaffable beer!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Hey JT, I see killer foam on all of your beers.  Just curious, what's your mash program?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2971 on: December 28, 2017, 05:25:03 pm »

Hey JT, I see killer foam on all of your beers.  Just curious, what's your mash program?

Thanks Robert.  This is pretty much the schedule I've been using. The "fly sparge" shown is only because I don't quite have the mash tun capacity to go "no sparge."  I use an electric RIMS system and it isn't uncommon for me to have a ratio of 2.3 quarts/lb or a bit more.  After I begin running off into the boil kettle I'm adding sparge water simultaneously via pump (not spraying in). 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Robert

« Reply #2972 on: December 28, 2017, 05:43:38 pm »

Thanks Robert.  This is pretty much the schedule I've been using. The "fly sparge" shown is only because I don't quite have the mash tun capacity to go "no sparge."  I use an electric RIMS system and it isn't uncommon for me to have a ratio of 2.3 quarts/lb or a bit more.  After I begin running off into the boil kettle I'm adding sparge water simultaneously via pump (not spraying in). 

Thanks!  Only very subtly different from what I've been doing.  Little longer at 162°F, and definitely more water to grain.  I'll have to think about what effects that might have.  But not this weekend.  I think I'm going to go really simple (153°F and 170°F?) and see if the full on Hochkurz really makes that much difference!  (Your RIMS makes extra steps less hassle than my old school setup!) Keep making us thirsty with those pics.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2973 on: December 30, 2017, 11:08:45 am »
Here’s my Christmas Beer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2974 on: December 30, 2017, 01:41:07 pm »
Here’s my Christmas Beer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What all is in that one?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2975 on: December 31, 2017, 02:31:50 pm »
Holiday Beer on the right (Malty Amber Ale with Simcoe) and Amarillo IPA on the left.

The holiday beer is carbonated. My taps have a mind of their own.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2976 on: December 31, 2017, 04:57:17 pm »

Thanks!  Only very subtly different from what I've been doing.  Little longer at 162°F, and definitely more water to grain.  I'll have to think about what effects that might have.  But not this weekend.  I think I'm going to go really simple (153°F and 170°F?) and see if the full on Hochkurz really makes that much difference!  (Your RIMS makes extra steps less hassle than my old school setup!) Keep making us thirsty with those pics.
Brewed another Kölsch today.  This one had some carahell added.  Also went with 150° for 60 minutes, then ramped to mashout.  I should only be changing one variable at a time... oh well... we'll see!

Offline Robert

« Reply #2977 on: December 31, 2017, 05:28:20 pm »

Brewed another Kölsch today.  This one had some carahell added.  Also went with 150° for 60 minutes, then ramped to mashout.  I should only be changing one variable at a time... oh well... we'll see!

Did my Pils with the schedule I planned.  Same yield, early sensory evaluation of the wort  tells me it's superior.  Tellingly, my iodine test before ramping for mash off showed faint mahogany color, not negative. Tells me there were still some dextrines left to form glycoproteins at 170°F.  Hochkurtz might overdegrade both proteins (still protease activity in the 140's) and carbs (amylase hyperactive at 162°F.) Time will tell.  Simplicity is nice.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

The Beerery

« Reply #2978 on: January 03, 2018, 06:54:05 am »
Helles

Dunkel

Pils

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2979 on: January 03, 2018, 05:04:10 pm »
Great looking beers!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2980 on: January 04, 2018, 04:31:39 pm »

Bottle conditioned Dopplebock. Stay warm my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2981 on: January 04, 2018, 04:41:17 pm »
Spiced Weizenbock 1.082OG 26IBUs and a dash of Nutmeg.  I used 833 for this and bottle conditioned for 7 months

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2982 on: January 06, 2018, 10:34:50 am »
A Saison that's pouring a bit too clear, but it's near the end of the keg. It still tastes good though (probably the best beer I brewed in 2017).

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2983 on: January 06, 2018, 11:50:51 am »
A Saison that's pouring a bit too clear, but it's near the end of the keg. It still tastes good though (probably the best beer I brewed in 2017).

Looks good. What strain, out of curiosity?
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2984 on: January 06, 2018, 02:16:46 pm »
Looks good. What strain, out of curiosity?

Thanks, man.

I pitched one packet each of 3724 and 3711.  In my opinion, it gives you most of the flavor of 3724 with the mouthfeel/dryness/ease of use of 3711.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC