Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 575358 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #2985 on: January 06, 2018, 06:50:54 pm »
There is a wide range of clarity in saison, no worries there at all! 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2986 on: January 06, 2018, 07:00:46 pm »
New keg tapped tonight.  Pale malt and oats.  Citra, Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin hops.  Fermented with Sacc Trois.  Aged on French oak and peaches.  Lots of peaches.  Two strains of Brett: lambicus and claussenni. 
It's pretty damn tasty y'all. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2987 on: January 06, 2018, 07:03:53 pm »
Looks good. What strain, out of curiosity?

Thanks, man.

I pitched one packet each of 3724 and 3711.  In my opinion, it gives you most of the flavor of 3724 with the mouthfeel/dryness/ease of use of 3711.

Yep, I agree. Done that many times.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2988 on: January 06, 2018, 07:09:07 pm »
New keg tapped tonight.  Pale malt and oats.  Citra, Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin hops.  Fermented with Sacc Trois.  Aged on French oak and peaches.  Lots of peaches.  Two strains of Brett: lambicus and claussenni. 

Looks awesome and sounds great! Love the foam.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2989 on: January 07, 2018, 01:11:34 pm »

Yeah, that really does sound awesome.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline bob.wilson77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2990 on: January 09, 2018, 03:32:04 pm »
Great looking beers guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2991 on: January 14, 2018, 01:26:33 pm »

Hey JT, I see killer foam on all of your beers.  Just curious, what's your mash program?
Thanks Robert.  This is pretty much the schedule I've been using. The "fly sparge" shown is only because I don't quite have the mash tun capacity to go "no sparge."  I use an electric RIMS system and it isn't uncommon for me to have a ratio of 2.3 quarts/lb or a bit more.  After I begin running off into the boil kettle I'm adding sparge water simultaneously via pump (not spraying in). 

Thanks!  Only very subtly different from what I've been doing.  Little longer at 162°F, and definitely more water to grain.  I'll have to think about what effects that might have.  But not this weekend.  I think I'm going to go really simple (153°F and 170°F?) and see if the full on Hochkurz really makes that much difference!  (Your RIMS makes extra steps less hassle than my old school setup!) Keep making us thirsty with those pics.
Brewed another Kölsch today.  This one had some carahell added.  Also went with 150° for 60 minutes, then ramped to mashout.  I should only be changing one variable at a time... oh well... we'll see!

Did my Pils with the schedule I planned.  Same yield, early sensory evaluation of the wort  tells me it's superior.  Tellingly, my iodine test before ramping for mash off showed faint mahogany color, not negative. Tells me there were still some dextrines left to form glycoproteins at 170°F.  Hochkurtz might overdegrade both proteins (still protease activity in the 140's) and carbs (amylase hyperactive at 162°F.) Time will tell.  Simplicity is nice.

How is your Pils turning out Robert?  This Kölsch is tasting great.  Just kegged it today. 

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2992 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:33 pm »
Pils is lagering, I'll keg it in a couple of weeks.  But I'm confident enough I brewed another yesterday with the same 153°F/170°F program.  Once again, excellent yield, same iodine test result.  I think I gave both a couple extra minutes at 170, and this time I didn't even keep the sparge temp up to 170 and everything looks good.   I'll report back here when I tap it!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2993 on: January 14, 2018, 03:50:27 pm »

Hey JT, I see killer foam on all of your beers.  Just curious, what's your mash program?
Thanks Robert.  This is pretty much the schedule I've been using. The "fly sparge" shown is only because I don't quite have the mash tun capacity to go "no sparge."  I use an electric RIMS system and it isn't uncommon for me to have a ratio of 2.3 quarts/lb or a bit more.  After I begin running off into the boil kettle I'm adding sparge water simultaneously via pump (not spraying in). 

Thanks!  Only very subtly different from what I've been doing.  Little longer at 162°F, and definitely more water to grain.  I'll have to think about what effects that might have.  But not this weekend.  I think I'm going to go really simple (153°F and 170°F?) and see if the full on Hochkurz really makes that much difference!  (Your RIMS makes extra steps less hassle than my old school setup!) Keep making us thirsty with those pics.
Brewed another Kölsch today.  This one had some carahell added.  Also went with 150° for 60 minutes, then ramped to mashout.  I should only be changing one variable at a time... oh well... we'll see!

Did my Pils with the schedule I planned.  Same yield, early sensory evaluation of the wort  tells me it's superior.  Tellingly, my iodine test before ramping for mash off showed faint mahogany color, not negative. Tells me there were still some dextrines left to form glycoproteins at 170°F.  Hochkurtz might overdegrade both proteins (still protease activity in the 140's) and carbs (amylase hyperactive at 162°F.) Time will tell.  Simplicity is nice.

How is your Pils turning out Robert?  This Kölsch is tasting great.  Just kegged it today. 

Is it the Carahell Kolsch JT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2994 on: January 14, 2018, 04:04:28 pm »

It is. 
93% Weyermann Pilsner
4.5% Carahell
2.5% Acidulated

150° mash, 60 min.  Ramp to 168° for 10 min mashout. 

60 min boil.
First wort Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 21 IBU
Nutrient and Irish moss. 

Yeast is WLP029.  This is a third gen pitch.  Fermented at 64/65°. 

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2995 on: January 15, 2018, 11:38:17 am »

It is. 
93% Weyermann Pilsner
4.5% Carahell
2.5% Acidulated

60 min boil.
Nutrient and Irish moss. 

I think you were straight Pils on the other right?
Do you like the Carahell batch better?  I bought 10# of Carahell thinking I’d use it in my Kolsch. Glad to get some thoughts on it. Thanks

Jeff B

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2996 on: January 15, 2018, 07:33:16 pm »

It is. 
93% Weyermann Pilsner
4.5% Carahell
2.5% Acidulated

60 min boil.
Nutrient and Irish moss. 

I think you were straight Pils on the other right?
Do you like the Carahell batch better?  I bought 10# of Carahell thinking I’d use it in my Kolsch. Glad to get some thoughts on it. Thanks

I'll let you know.  I kegged it yesterday, initial samples tasted great.  Previous batches were all pils and a touch of acidulated. 

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2997 on: January 16, 2018, 08:08:16 am »
Great I missed that you had just kegged. Thanks

Jeff B

Offline wildlifexteam5

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2998 on: January 17, 2018, 12:17:05 pm »
will like to find some great brews nearby if known to anyone ? anyone can help search for glassbottlesmanufacturer in the prescribed area, thanks.

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #2999 on: January 17, 2018, 05:47:36 pm »
Winter seasonal ale brewed for my club competition this month. Based on an oatmeal stout, added mulling spices in the keg. A "repeat" if sorts from last year, but I changed the recipe a bit. Nick-named "Not Your Grandma's Oatmeal Cookie".

- Josh P