Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 578630 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3060 on: March 03, 2018, 04:54:19 am »
Pils is lagering, I'll keg it in a couple of weeks.  But I'm confident enough I brewed another yesterday with the same 153°F/170°F program.  Once again, excellent yield, same iodine test result.  I think I gave both a couple extra minutes at 170, and this time I didn't even keep the sparge temp up to 170 and everything looks good.   I'll report back here when I tap it!
Hey JT,  finally drinking that first simplified Pils,  and as I expected (from observing this and two subsequent in the pipeline) no ill effects, maybe confirming (not enough data points yet) the advantages I hypothesized. I'm sticking with the single conversion rest-mash off program, and moving my attention to other areas to tweak my process. You?
I definitely like the Kölsch just fine.  With or without the hochkurz and with or without the carahell.  It's no problem for me to run a hochkurz, but not sure it's adding anything that I can detect (without performing a triangle test or even side by side).  I might try a shortened hochkurz next brew day.  Or I may just go single infusion. 
It has moved me away from long mash times.  Don't see the need. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
I may be leaning back toward a shortened Hochkurz (146°, 160°, 170°F) in some cases. (I rarely did the full deal, but, full disclosure, I have probably tried every mash program possible with every rest possible from 95°F on up at some point. And thought they were a good idea at some point!) No need to go overboard as you say, but I see one possible advantage: tighter control of fermentability.  Which will only really matter on certain styles, but for Pils or Kölsch it might be a consideration. (There may also be a tiny increase in conversion efficiency over the single compromise rest, but that I can't really say yet and it's not going to be the decider on its own.)
Are you talking about time or number of rests for shortened hochkurz?  I haven't done much more than you are describing for hochkurz (May occasionally adding a 150 rest). The drag for me with hochkurz is the time - 30 min maltose, 30 min dextrinization, 10 minute mashout, plus all the ramp times in between.  But I still find myself "needing" to do it. 
I iodine tested my wort after the maltose rest this last time.  It was negative...

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3061 on: March 03, 2018, 06:08:44 am »
I mean number of rests, some brewers do multiple betas plus an intermediate 150...not needed.  A single conversion rest and mash off may take just as long as all the rests and ramps of 146-160-170 combined to complete conversion (IME), but takes less monitoring and effort, maybe just bump the temp once along the way! I really don't mind either way, but don't like unnecessarily complicating things. Life does that for me.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3062 on: March 03, 2018, 11:03:01 am »
I mean number of rests, some brewers do multiple betas plus an intermediate 150...not needed.  A single conversion rest and mash off may take just as long as all the rests and ramps of 146-160-170 combined to complete conversion (IME), but takes less monitoring and effort, maybe just bump the temp once along the way! I really don't mind either way, but don't like unnecessarily complicating things. Life does that for me.
With reduced boil off I was able to try no sparge for my Helles as I needed less water, but I quickly found that the ramp times took much longer.  I'm thinking about getting a flowmeter for consistency.  Blichmann has one with an alarm, not really needed.  Not a lot out there that I've found. 

Offline BrewBama

Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3063 on: March 17, 2018, 01:09:32 pm »
Happy St Patrick’s Day.   It was a great day on the Big Deck: Nat’l Corn Dog Day, tapped my Stout, grilled lamb for St Patrick’s Day, and brewed my Cinco de Mayo Vienna Lager. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:29:31 pm by BrewBama »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3064 on: March 17, 2018, 07:39:01 pm »
It's not green this time, must be the Tettnang. ;)
Exactly!

LOL. Great looking pint!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3065 on: March 17, 2018, 10:17:06 pm »
Happy St Patrick’s Day.   It was a great day on the Big Deck: Nat’l Corn Dog Day, tapped my Stout, grilled lamb for St Patrick’s Day, and brewed my Cinco de Mayo Vienna Lager. Cheers!

Stout looks good. Did you eat a corn dog?

Offline BrewBama

Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3066 on: March 18, 2018, 05:36:40 am »

Stout looks good. Did you eat a corn dog?

I ate 4for lunch ...with English Mustard (HOT!)

Offline tommymorris

Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3067 on: March 23, 2018, 07:23:23 pm »

This is Chinook Blonde-NoLoDo. It’s actually quite clear though you can’t tell from the photo.

1050 OG. 3 gallon batch.
95/5 2-Row Pale/Caramel 10
26 IBU Chinook First Wort Hop
1 IBU Chinook @ 1 minute
0.4 oz Chinook steeped @ 180F for 20 minutes

The NoLoDo in the name reflects that I used no low oxygen methods in the mash. I did do my best to minimize oxygen on the cold side.

This is one of my favorite recipes. I brew it a lot.

Chinook Blonde-NoLoDo is excellent. Is Chinook Blonde with low oxygen mash better? Maybe. Maybe slightly maltier, but, without a side by side, I am having trouble deciding.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:49:57 pm by alestateyall »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3068 on: March 24, 2018, 05:07:17 pm »

This is Chinook Blonde-NoLoDo. It’s actually quite clear though you can’t tell from the photo.

1050 OG. 3 gallon batch.
1 IBU Chinook @ 1 minute

The NoLoDo in the name reflects that I used no low oxygen methods in the mash. I did do my best to minimize oxygen on the cold side.

Chinook Blonde-NoLoDo is excellent. Is Chinook Blonde with low oxygen mash better? Maybe. Maybe slightly maltier, but, without a side by side, I am having trouble deciding.

Looks like a tasty dram. I may scale that recipe up for a Summer Ale.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3069 on: March 24, 2018, 05:22:36 pm »

1050 OG. 3 gallon batch.
1 IBU Chinook @ 1 minute

It’s definitely quaffable. I like it after a run.

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3070 on: March 29, 2018, 08:22:46 pm »
Dry Irish Stout following Jen Talley's recipe from her Session Beers book

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3071 on: March 30, 2018, 05:09:43 pm »

1050 OG. 3 gallon batch.
1 IBU Chinook @ 1 minute

Looks like I’ll use Crisp 15 instead of the C10 called for — close as I can get with on hand stock. I usually shoot for 152*F and hit it within +/- a degree or two. I believe I’ll buy the Pale malt  and yeast local if WYWB has it. I may go with Nottingham to get a quick turn on this beer. I am thinking about buying whole hops instead of using pellets. I’ve never used them before.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3072 on: March 30, 2018, 05:11:51 pm »

1050 OG. 3 gallon batch.
1 IBU Chinook @ 1 minute

Looks like I’ll use Crisp 15 instead of the C10 called for — close as I can get with on hand stock. I usually shoot for 152*F and hit it within +/- a degree or two. I believe I’ll buy the Pale malt  and yeast local if WYWB has it. I may go with Nottingham to get a quick turn on this beer. I am thinking about buying whole hops instead of using pellets. I’ve never used them before.

Sounds good. I hope you like it. If you don’t, I’ll blame the Notty or C15 ;)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3073 on: April 04, 2018, 09:13:23 am »
Did a taste test of a pale ale I bottled for NHC, seems like I'm getting my bottling process down!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3074 on: April 05, 2018, 05:07:10 pm »
Dortmunder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281