Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 578432 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #315 on: May 05, 2014, 12:06:10 pm »
Very nice, Eric !  Looks tasty.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2014, 03:52:53 pm »
Still waiting for it to finish carbing up, but I couldn't wait any longer to pour a tall one. Enjoying a märzen on brewday:

Beautiful!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #317 on: May 11, 2014, 10:40:27 pm »
Two in one pic. The first you've seen, it's my rye stout on top. The bottom is the mother's day wit I just tapped.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline deathlylost

• Cellarman
    • 1000 Bottles of Beer
« Reply #318 on: May 25, 2014, 02:45:47 am »
Here's a Belgian the I just tapped. It's a light version for my wife. So ~100 calories. Makes for a good summer session beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2014, 05:47:50 am »
I know it's been said before, but you take some amazing photos. Like "blow it up and frame it over my bar" quality. If I ran a brewery I'd totally be hitting you up to take pics for my website.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline deathlylost

• Cellarman
    • 1000 Bottles of Beer
« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2014, 06:43:17 pm »

I know it's been said before, but you take some amazing photos. Like "blow it up and frame it over my bar" quality. If I ran a brewery I'd totally be hitting you up to take pics for my website.

Thanks. Now I just need to bring my beer up to the same caliper. :)

Let me know when you are running a brewery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #321 on: May 25, 2014, 10:54:53 pm »
I have that exact same glass... ;) With beer in it. In my hand.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deathlylost

• Cellarman
    • 1000 Bottles of Beer
« Reply #322 on: May 26, 2014, 02:00:57 am »
Right on euge. You just described my Memorial Day plans. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2014, 05:03:11 pm »

My new BoPils at 6 weeks lagering. Came out really nice. I think I'll bring the sulfate up just a tad next time to make the hops pop a little more. Otherwise pretty solid.
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »

My new BoPils at 6 weeks lagering. Came out really nice. I think I'll bring the sulfate up just a tad next time to make the hops pop a little more. Otherwise pretty solid.

That looks very tasty!

Yeah, I am wondering about that.  My Bo Pils, second ever, is still finishing fermenting and I manipulated 50% RO / 50% tap water with just calcium chloride to hit 50 ppm calcium to ensure a healthy ferment (no gypsum = no sulfate).  I am trying to capture the maltiness first, round-tasting-but-plenty hops after that, and hopefully some bready-crackery-crispness.  I did enjoy a hydro sample today and it was tasty.  Time will tell.  I was right at about 40 IBUs, all Czech Saaz equal amounts FWH, 80 min and 20 min.  I also hope that adding the calcium chloride doesn't add too much of a minerally taste.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:47:53 pm by brewsumore »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2014, 07:06:21 pm »
Thanks ! It's a little less gold and a little more clear than that pic appears. IIRC, Martin says that you need to keep CaCl under 100ppm when sulfate levels are fairly high (>100ppm), so I think you're good with the CaCl. I hit ~ 40ppm Calcium for this one FWIW - Martin also posted recently that lagers do well with under 50ppm Ca. Especially being a BoPils, I wanted to have enough Ca, but keep mineral additions to a minimum.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:07:57 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #326 on: May 26, 2014, 07:24:43 pm »
Yeah, I saw Martin's recommendation to keep calcium at low 40's, and per A.J. DeLange no sulfate.  However, I get a little paranoid of not getting full attenuation, so bumped calcium to 50 ppm, the standard recommended minimum for beer in general.  I'm still ramping up a bit from my 50F ferment temp to ensure full attenuation.  I mashed single infusion around 155F or just under, and my 1.050 OG beer after 10 days is at 1.014 and still fermenting.  I gave it a little swirl and went up from 51F to 52F today using Wyeast 2001.  I expect it to finish around 1.010 - 1.012 within a few more days.

I was happy to find I had no noticeable diacetyl or sulphur. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:31:22 pm by brewsumore »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #327 on: May 26, 2014, 07:33:36 pm »
Yeah, I saw Martin's recommendation to keep calcium at low 40's, and per A.J. DeLange no sulfate.  However, I get a little paranoid of not getting full attenuation, so bumped calcium to 50 ppm, the standard recommended minimum for beer in general.  I'm still ramping up a bit from my 50F ferment temp to ensure full attenuation.  I mashed single infusion around 155F or just under, and my 1.050 OG beer after 10 days is at 1.014 and still fermenting.  I gave it a little swirl and went up from 51F to 52F today using Wyeast 2001.  I expect it to finish around 1.010 - 1.012 within a few more days. 

Yeah, it was the first time I used sub-50ppm Ca, but actually the beer finished @ 1.010, under my target of 1.012. I was more concerned whether I'd get good flocculation with the lower Ca, and it dropped and cleared out nicely.
Jon H.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #328 on: May 26, 2014, 07:38:35 pm »
That's right isn't it - calcium minimum is more related to flocculation.  Yeast nutrient, and of course strategic temp control, and ultimately yeast health and growth rate is more important for full attenuation.  Thanks for the reminder!  I haven't forgotten your request to start a thread on my dubbel - hopefully tonight.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:40:12 pm by brewsumore »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #329 on: May 26, 2014, 07:40:29 pm »
That's right isn't it - calcium minimum is more related to flocculation.  Yeast nutrient, and of course strategic temp control, and yeast health and growth rate is more important for full attenuation.  Thanks for the reminder!  I haven't forgotten your request to start a thread on my dubbel - hopefully tonight.

Cool ! I think I may brew that one for New Year's Eve, if not sooner.
Jon H.