Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 578614 times)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3195 on: November 20, 2018, 06:33:41 pm »

First brew back after some traumatic healthcare. This Saison is quite possibly the best beer I’ve ever brewed. Lots of brewery changes. HERMS Step mashed for eternity. Lots of consciousness toward copper and O2. 565 is still the Saison for me. 3724 is about the same as 1056 and 001. Worlds apart IMO.    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3196 on: November 20, 2018, 06:42:06 pm »

First brew back after some traumatic healthcare. This Saison is quite possibly the best beer I’ve ever brewed. Lots of brewery changes. HERMS Step mashed for eternity. Lots of consciousness toward copper and O2. 565 is still the Saison for me. 3724 is about the same as 1056 and 001. Worlds apart IMO.    Cheers

Hope you're feeling better, man.  Beer sounds tasty, need to do a saison again.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3197 on: November 26, 2018, 06:57:36 pm »
Pale ale. 
Pale malt and oats with whirlpool and dry hop additions of Nelson Sauvin and Mosaic.  Yeast is a blend of the Conan strain and Sacc Troi  - Imperial Yeast Dry Hop. 
Used spunding valve and naturally carbonated.  Dry hops are just chillin in the keg.  Floating pickup with screen keeps the hops in the keg. 
I love this beer. 

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3198 on: November 26, 2018, 07:01:45 pm »
Chevallier malt gives nice foam and lacing.   And this beer has a bunch of invert sugar in it too.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #3199 on: November 26, 2018, 07:09:55 pm »
Tasty looking beers folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3200 on: November 27, 2018, 11:26:31 am »
Chevallier malt gives nice foam and lacing.   And this beer has a bunch of invert sugar in it too.

Great looking bitter.  Any special mashing on that old malt style?  I have used it a few different ways, but it requires some attention as an under-modified type.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #3201 on: November 27, 2018, 12:34:14 pm »

Great looking bitter.  Any special mashing on that old malt style?  I have used it a few different ways, but it requires some attention as an under-modified type.
I've tried a few different mash programs, and realized something very telling:  if you look at old records (thanks Ron P,) modern German Hochkurz schemes are pretty much the same as what the Brits used to do, achieving intermediate rests through underlet and the final temperature through the sparge!  My most recent iteration is a Hochkurz with the added 15 minute rest at 150° because I wasn't getting satisfactory attenuation with just 146/160/170.  I'll let you know how it works out.   Funny thing is, if you cut open a bunch of kernels,  you'll see the acrospire is usually fully grown;  so it isn't really under modified, but sure acts like it (and is definitely not evenly modified.)    I now accept that even with intensive mashing it will never give as high a yield as modern malts.  But so worth the effort.  Well into this sack, I'm just getting the hang of it. Next week I'll probably order my second sack!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3202 on: November 27, 2018, 02:19:46 pm »
Tripel cleared up pretty nicely...

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3203 on: November 27, 2018, 02:21:28 pm »
Pale ale. 
Pale malt and oats with whirlpool and dry hop additions of Nelson Sauvin and Mosaic.  Yeast is a blend of the Conan strain and Sacc Troi  - Imperial Yeast Dry Hop. 
Used spunding valve and naturally carbonated.  Dry hops are just chillin in the keg.  Floating pickup with screen keeps the hops in the keg. 
I love this beer. 

Looks great!

I've got on of those floating dip tubes with the screen as well, but I've been too scared to try it with the keg hops just floating free.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3204 on: November 27, 2018, 02:35:57 pm »
Pale ale. 
I love this beer. 

Looks great!

I've got on of those floating dip tubes with the screen as well, but I've been too scared to try it with the keg hops just floating free.
This was my first run with free floating dry hops (pellets).  Great purchase. 

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3205 on: November 28, 2018, 11:07:53 am »

I've tried a few different mash programs, and realized something very telling:  if you look at old records (thanks Ron P,) modern German Hochkurz schemes are pretty much the same as what the Brits used to do, achieving intermediate rests through underlet and the final temperature through the sparge!  My most recent iteration is a Hochkurz with the added 15 minute rest at 150° because I wasn't getting satisfactory attenuation with just 146/160/170.  I'll let you know how it works out.   Funny thing is, if you cut open a bunch of kernels,  you'll see the acrospire is usually fully grown;  so it isn't really under modified, but sure acts like it (and is definitely not evenly modified.)    I now accept that even with intensive mashing it will never give as high a yield as modern malts.  But so worth the effort.  Well into this sack, I'm just getting the hang of it. Next week I'll probably order my second sack!

Interesting to hear.  I just assumed that it was not well modified based on the heritage label and what was stated about the era of malt it was seeking to emulate...Brew On!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #3206 on: November 28, 2018, 11:47:24 am »
^^^^
British malts have always been considered fully modified,  or over modified,  from a Continental perspective, but it seems that's all relative.  All malts are better modified now.  But from what I've read, a lot of that has to do with barley variety,  and breeding has been directed toward this goal.  Different barleys apparently modify differently with respect to different parameters (proteins, glucans etc.,)  more or less evenly from kernel to kernel,  and so on.  You can't make modern malt from heirloom barley, and vice versa.  But it does seem that the "improvements" that have been made in terms of agronomic quality,  ease of malting,  and better brewhouse performance,  don't necessarily make for improvement in the beer! 

BTW ynotbrusum, one of the variations I tried was including a short rest in the 130s on the theory that some glucanase activity might be  beneficial even though the old British brewers could never have started at such a low temperature.  I didn't see any real difference in lautering or extract recovery, and have yet to tap that beer to see if I did any harm.   You first alerted me to the availability of this malt, and recommended a Hochkurz of some sort.   Seems to be the right appeoach, thanks.  I'm kind of hooked on this stuff, and luckily LHBS is only charging me  <10%  more than Golden Promise or other premium malts to get it.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:49:39 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3207 on: December 05, 2018, 07:31:39 pm »
Helles

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3208 on: December 05, 2018, 09:05:51 pm »

ESB

Online BrewBama

« Reply #3209 on: December 07, 2018, 04:53:17 pm »
Here’s a Midnight Special and a Yellowhammer Punch at a Bierhall Christmas Party