Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585843 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3435 on: February 17, 2020, 07:20:40 pm »
Tapped the Olde Dog ESB to drink while watching the Great American Race. Give em hell 9. (Even though it’s Chevy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the great American race?

Piano player stops and swings head around.   Card players freeze in mid-deal.  Barkeep ducks behind bar and various patrons under tables.  😉
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3436 on: February 17, 2020, 07:22:45 pm »
Tapped the Olde Dog ESB to drink while watching the Great American Race. Give em hell 9. (Even though it’s Chevy).

Piano player stops and swings head around.   Card players freeze in mid-deal.  Barkeep ducks behind bar and various patrons under tables.  😉

Huh. Never heard of that. Sounds like a strange race.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:25:02 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Robert

« Reply #3437 on: February 17, 2020, 07:30:12 pm »

Huh. Never heard of that. Sounds like a strange race.

He meant the Daytona 500.  Apparently some folks take it pretty seriously...  now back to beer! 🍻
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3438 on: February 17, 2020, 07:41:59 pm »
LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3439 on: February 17, 2020, 07:53:44 pm »
Popped my first bottle of Kolsch today, which is admittedly way too dark for the style, and a bit hazy yet (K-97), but tastes pretty dang good, no diacetyl or anything off, with a creamy head and lace that lasted a full 30 minutes.

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3440 on: February 17, 2020, 08:09:43 pm »

Prost!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3441 on: February 17, 2020, 08:11:12 pm »
Popped my first bottle of Kolsch today, which is admittedly way too dark for the style, and a bit hazy yet (K-97), but tastes pretty dang good, no diacetyl or anything off, with a creamy head and lace that lasted a full 30 minutes.

Interesting. I guess the K-97 did well in the Kölsch? Any fruit flavors or just clean?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3442 on: February 17, 2020, 09:34:26 pm »
Interesting. I guess the K-97 did well in the Kölsch? Any fruit flavors or just clean?

It is slightly fruity, in a barely noticeable non-descript manner. Pretty clean overall and allows the malt to sing more than anything.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #3443 on: February 18, 2020, 10:19:04 am »

It is slightly fruity, in a barely noticeable non-descript manner. Pretty clean overall and allows the malt to sing more than anything.

I agree, it may not produce the most authentic tasting Kolsch but it certainly makes a nice Kolsch style beer. I wonder if temps can play a part to bring out the delicate fruit notes and aroma. What temps did you use it at, I kept mine cool ~60* when I used it a few times.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3444 on: February 18, 2020, 11:17:42 am »

I agree, it may not produce the most authentic tasting Kolsch but it certainly makes a nice Kolsch style beer. I wonder if temps can play a part to bring out the delicate fruit notes and aroma. What temps did you use it at, I kept mine cool ~60* when I used it a few times.

Heh... fermented mine fairly cold at 53 F average, 51-55 F absolute range.  I believe the fruitiness might even be coming more from the hops than the yeast -- I used Palisade for the majority of the hopping, which I've noted in past batches to be noble-like but with an additional non-descript fruitiness.  Tilt:

Dave

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #3445 on: February 20, 2020, 07:04:29 pm »

Looks very good! What were the grains? Is that why it is darker than what the style calls for?
This yeast strain does not flocculate well. So for a bright beer, it is recommended to either filter or lager it at cold temps.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3446 on: February 20, 2020, 07:31:48 pm »
Looks very good! What were the grains? Is that why it is darker than what the style calls for?
This yeast strain does not flocculate well. So for a bright beer, it is recommended to either filter or lager it at cold temps.

Recipe is admittedly weird.  I was actually going for an American Pilsner, inspired by Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss, splitting the batch to use lager yeast in half and the other half this K-97 version, just to taste the differences.  Recipe:

41% American 2-row pale malt
41% American wheat malt
8% German Munich
8% rice hulls (!)
2.5% Gambrinus honey malt

And Palisade pellets and homegrown Hallertau to hit 27 IBUs.  City water, 1 tsp CaCl2, mash pH 5.5.

Right now I'm going to go taste them blind side by side and figure out all the differences.  I'm going to pour 6 glasses to confuse myself as to which ones are which.
Dave

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3447 on: February 20, 2020, 08:57:01 pm »
Right now I'm going to go taste them blind side by side and figure out all the differences.  I'm going to pour 6 glasses to confuse myself as to which ones are which.

Results of this are posted at link below.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=34603.msg436401#msg436401

Pic:

Dave

Offline Daedric_Angel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3448 on: February 22, 2020, 03:09:07 pm »
New to Homebrew but here is my first bottled batch. Even made labels, lol. Tart Cherry Apple Cider 5.25% using store bought juice and Cider House yeast.
The Gold top one I told my wife we would save for a special occasion to serve a bottle from my first batch, lol.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:15:56 pm by Daedric_Angel »

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3449 on: February 22, 2020, 03:42:52 pm »

New Kölsch that is about 10days kegged. Delicious already, can’t wait for it to condition a little. Used Giga021 again, really like this yeast. 

Jeff B