Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585790 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3510 on: March 31, 2020, 10:53:41 pm »
Yes. Would love to hear to impressions from m36. Thinking of doing an English porter with it?
M36 is one of my favorites. It’s attenuates more than other English yeasts. That makes the beers dryer and more crisp. I like that. The fruit flavors you get from M36 are also less earthy and more candy like. I taste something like one of those chewy orange slice candies.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3511 on: April 01, 2020, 07:20:10 am »
Ooh, tommymorris would you care to share that recipe?  I have never used that yeast but it sounds like it would make some tasty UK styles.  Delicious-looking beer.
The recipe may be a bit odd looking. Mark V. originally put me onto the tiny amount of chocolate for color and a slight nutty flavor. It pushes the beer a little toward brown ale but I like it.

89% Root Shoots Genie Pale (a pale ale variety)
6% C60
0.5% Pale Chocolate
4.5% table sugar
31 IBU Goldings FWH
0.33 Oz/2.5G Goldings @ 15 (4.6 IBU)
0.5 Oz/2.5G Goldings @ 5 (2.8 IBU)
OG 1053 SG 1020
Lallemand London ESB yeast

I was surprised by the FG. I thought the table sugar would bring it down more. It has a malty earthy finish but surprisingly not sweet.

The yeast is definitely English. The yeast flavors remind me of London Pride but it’s been a long time since I have had that beer so it could be my imagination.

PS. I waited 2-3 weeks hoping this beer would clear on its own. It never did. It was super cloudy. I used gelatin and it cleared in a few days.
Very nice, thank you.  I make a lot of German and Czech beers, occasionally make American styles and Mexican styles and then I love a good EPA, ESB, Ordinary Bitter, etc.  I have better results with Lallemand products than Mangrove Jacks products so the Lallemand London ESB yeast sounds lovely.  I wonder what its origin is... the same as Wyeast 1968 maybe?  Cheers. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3512 on: April 01, 2020, 07:54:23 am »
Tommymorris (or anyone)... how are you calculating the IBUs achieved by adding FWH hops?  Are you using the standard "20 minutes" calculation?  I know I have asked this numerous times but many brewers shrug about it and software either ignores those IBUs completely or else it misfires and wacks out the total IBUs for the beer.  I might make this as an ordinary bitter and lower the gravity a bit.  I have not used 'table sugar' in a beer in a very long time.  Did you just add the table sugar to the kettle?
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3513 on: April 01, 2020, 08:22:15 am »
I use BeerSmith. My next beer will have 22 IBU @ 60 min. If I change it to FWH I get 24.

Some say the bitterness is smoother with FWH. I can’t tell the difference so I wait until the boil because I like to skim the crud off the top. If I FWH I’m paranoid I’ll remove some hops when I skim.

...but really, IBU in my home brewery is just a reference point. It’s not an exact standard like the real IBU measured by scientific instruments. I perceive it as a certain level of bitterness at X IBU measured by BeerSmith and have developed recipes based on that reference. I think the key is find one software or calculation that works for you and stick to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3514 on: April 01, 2020, 08:40:32 am »
Tommymorris (or anyone)... how are you calculating the IBUs achieved by adding FWH hops?  Are you using the standard "20 minutes" calculation?  I know I have asked this numerous times but many brewers shrug about it and software either ignores those IBUs completely or else it misfires and wacks out the total IBUs for the beer.  I might make this as an ordinary bitter and lower the gravity a bit.  I have not used 'table sugar' in a beer in a very long time.  Did you just add the table sugar to the kettle?

I too use BeerSmith and calculate the FWH this way.  I select FWH for the hops and then 60 minutes for the boil (I boil for 60 minutes and don't remove the FWH from the kettle.  I am pretty sure a lot of otheres do it this way as well.

As Brewbama said, the IBU calculations are a best case estimate since we don't have the scientific equipment (big $$$$) to measure them.  But the calculations I use give me a good tasting beer so that is my technique and I am sticking with it.   :D
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline tommymorris

Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3515 on: April 01, 2020, 09:31:36 am »
I calculate all my IBU with BeerSmith. I think using a consistent calculation method is most important so you can have solid ground upon which to base adjustments.

For table sugar, I measured straight from a bag in the kitchen and then poured it directly in the fermenter.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:33:46 am by tommymorris »

Offline tommymorris

Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3516 on: April 01, 2020, 09:34:17 am »
I too use BeerSmith and calculate the FWH this way.  I select FWH for the hops and then 60 minutes for the boil (I boil for 60 minutes and don't remove the FWH from the kettle.  I am pretty sure a lot of otheres do it this way as well.
That is exactly what I do.

Offline erkaneva

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3517 on: April 01, 2020, 11:47:30 am »

My latest Gosé that was kettle soured using Lallemand’s “Sour Pitch”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a very interesting yeast.  Did you use it alone or in conjunction with something else?
I finished the fermentation with WLP300 Hefe yeast.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3518 on: April 01, 2020, 12:17:28 pm »

My latest Gosé that was kettle soured using Lallemand’s “Sour Pitch”.

That's a very interesting yeast.  Did you use it alone or in conjunction with something else?
I finished the fermentation with WLP300 Hefe yeast.

On a sad note, I just saw that Naked City is auctioning off everything.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #3519 on: April 01, 2020, 12:40:42 pm »

Amber with spruce tips

Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3520 on: April 01, 2020, 01:03:31 pm »
I like a refreshing spruce tip ale every other year or so.  I am waiting to see what my spruce trees produce, but it has been a long (but somewhat mild)winter into early spring, without the trees doing much budding at this point.  Maybe not a good year for this beer in my yard, I guess.

Yours looks wonderful.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #3521 on: April 02, 2020, 05:57:53 pm »
Here is what we just kegged two days ago, a Munich Helles. The glass has moisture on it, making the beer look hazy.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3522 on: April 02, 2020, 06:16:37 pm »
Looks nice.  I would drink it with a smile.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3523 on: April 02, 2020, 06:19:31 pm »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #3524 on: April 02, 2020, 06:50:13 pm »

Looks nice now that it has cleared, thanks to the gelatin! I have a full write up under the all grain section.