Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 584244 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3825 on: October 04, 2020, 02:57:50 pm »
Festbier 2020:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 03:58:30 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3826 on: October 05, 2020, 04:11:41 pm »
Tapped my ESB. It is pretty good and will get better!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3827 on: October 05, 2020, 04:12:01 pm »
This is a beer that I originally just called a 'simple lager'.  I eventually called it a Landbier because the definition is so wide open.  It seems like a helles but the ingredients were off by enough for me to call it by another style.  95% Swaen LAGER malt and 5% Briess Copper Malt.  22 IBUs of Northern Brewer at the start of the boil and Omega Bayern lager yeast.  Delicious beer.

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3828 on: October 05, 2020, 04:21:25 pm »
Tapped my ESB. It is pretty good and will get better!
Ah, an excellent fall style.  Looks delicious. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3829 on: October 05, 2020, 06:13:20 pm »
This is a beer that I originally just called a 'simple lager'.  I eventually called it a Landbier because the definition is so wide open.  It seems like a helles but the ingredients were off by enough for me to call it by another style.  95% Swaen LAGER malt and 5% Briess Copper Malt.  22 IBUs of Northern Brewer at the start of the boil and Omega Bayern lager yeast.  Delicious beer.

Excellent beer. I’ve been keeping notes on your creations. Your Shiner homage is on deck. This will make the Summertime line up I’m sure.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3830 on: October 05, 2020, 06:26:55 pm »

Excellent beer. I’ve been keeping notes on your creations. Your Shiner homage is on deck. This will make the Summertime line up I’m sure.
Good luck on the bock.  I have one more keg of it sitting in my on-deck fridge.  Cheers BrewBama.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3831 on: October 05, 2020, 07:38:45 pm »

Good luck on the bock.  I have one more keg of it sitting in my on-deck fridge.  Cheers BrewBama.
I’ve been keeping notes too. I have the Festbier lined up for next weekend! The beers better be as good as the photos! ;)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3832 on: October 05, 2020, 08:20:34 pm »

I’ve been keeping notes too. I have the Festbier lined up for next weekend! The beers better be as good as the photos! ;)
That part is YOUR responsibility!  :D

I really like that festbier recipe.  So simple but such a satisfying beer.  My recipes used to be so much more complex and some very smart people taught me that simple can be excellent.  My festbier would originally have 5-6 malts in it... aromatic, caramunich, etc.  Not necessary.  I still find a good amount of lager time to be one of the best things you can do for a lager beer.  Cheers.

EDIT:  By the way, I went back and checked that Festbier recipe.  In the FESTBIER thread, I said it was 25 IBUs of Hallertau but I used Spalt on this one.  Not really the type of thing you're going to notice after lagering but my Spalts were 4.7% and my Hallertau were only 3.2 so I used the Spalt.  Really nice. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 08:24:00 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3833 on: October 05, 2020, 08:26:11 pm »

That part is YOUR responsibility!  :D

I really like that festbier recipe.  So simple but such a satisfying beer.  My recipes used to be so much more complex and some very smart people taught me that simple can be excellent.  My festbier would originally have 5-6 malts in it... aromatic, caramunich, etc.  Not necessary.  I still find a good amount of lager time to be one of the best things you can do for a lager beer.  Cheers.

EDIT:  By the way, I went back and checked that Festbier recipe.  In the FESTBIER thread, I said it was 25 IBUs of Hallertau but I used Spalt on this one.  Not really the type of thing you're going to notice after lagering but my Spalts were 4.7% and my Hallertau were only 3.2 so I used the Spalt.  Really nice.
I agree on the lagering time.  Looking forward to trying the Festbier around Thanksgiving.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3834 on: October 06, 2020, 07:36:59 am »
...  My recipes used to be so much more complex and some very smart people taught me that simple can be excellent.  My festbier would originally have 5-6 malts in it... aromatic, caramunich, etc.  Not necessary.  ...

+1. I enjoy brewing and my beers a lot more after simplifying all my processes — including my recipes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3835 on: October 12, 2020, 05:18:34 pm »
Mexican Amber Lager...

Pilsner, Vienna, some CaraMunich 1, a smidge of Special B, Northern Brewer to bitter and then 1½ ounces each of Glacier and Sterling into the WP.  940 for the yeast.  To be honest, only the yeast is Mexican.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3836 on: October 12, 2020, 05:57:53 pm »
After a long hiatus from brewing beer its good to have something to share: a pale ale using my own galena and cascade hops and a bitter. Both were solid. I especially look forward to brewing more English ales. They are my favorite style and hard to come by at breweries. I was planning on using wy1469 but my smack pack was older and turned out not viable. I had s-04 as a plan b but want to rebrew with some recently acquired 1469. Also, I was purposefully aggressive with the gypsum but it was a bit much. Still, both beers were very quaffable.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3837 on: October 12, 2020, 06:34:07 pm »
After a long hiatus from brewing beer its good to have something to share: a pale ale using my own galena and cascade hops and a bitter. Both were solid. I especially look forward to brewing more English ales. They are my favorite style and hard to come by at breweries. I was planning on using wy1469 but my smack pack was older and turned out not viable. I had s-04 as a plan b but want to rebrew with some recently acquired 1469. Also, I was purposefully aggressive with the gypsum but it was a bit much. Still, both beers were very quaffable.

Nice.  I really like that West Yorkshire yeast 1469 and also London ESB 1968.  I really need to brew with one of those again shortly.  Good looking beers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3838 on: October 12, 2020, 07:48:59 pm »

Nice.  I really like that West Yorkshire yeast 1469 and also London ESB 1968.  I really need to brew with one of those again shortly.  Good looking beers.
Thanks. I am a big fan of Timothy Taylor’s Landlord and would be happy to have something close to it on tap.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3839 on: October 13, 2020, 09:03:50 am »
these posts make me jealous of your beers AND your backyards!