Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 578342 times)

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3885 on: October 20, 2020, 01:23:49 pm »
I certainly didn’t mean to imply a certain style can only be brewed or consumed at certain times of the year, I was simply pointing out that the beer was “just in time for Oktoberfest” was a bit late based on the date the statement was made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[/quote

No problem!  This was my first lager, and I wanted to be able to say that I brewed it in March, did a decoction, a diacetyl rest, lagered over six months, and tapped at Oktoberfest time (actually on September 14).  I’ll probably do it again next year, and will most likely do a Festbier too. 

I’ve got a honey nut brown ale in the fermenter, and am getting ready to do a Winter Warmer Porter next.  This past Saturday our brew club, Illiana Beer Rackers Union (IBRU), filled a used bourbon barrel with the Black is Beautiful recipe brewed by myself and several members.    Hope to serve some of it next year at the Crown BeerFest.  Cheers!

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #3886 on: October 20, 2020, 01:35:42 pm »

Sunday afternoon I braised some boudin in doppelbock with onions and rosemary to pair with brie and crackers as I compared/contrasted my Dubbel with Chimay Red. Truly inspiring lunch! My dubbel made wlp400 is a very different beast but held up well as a dubbel by any measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3887 on: October 20, 2020, 01:52:01 pm »
Toasted Hazelnut Brown Ale

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3888 on: October 20, 2020, 02:13:13 pm »
I certainly didn’t mean to imply a certain style can only be brewed or consumed at certain times of the year, I was simply pointing out that the beer was “just in time for Oktoberfest” was a bit late based on the date the statement was made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[/quote

No problem!  This was my first lager, and I wanted to be able to say that I brewed it in March, did a decoction, a diacetyl rest, lagered over six months, and tapped at Oktoberfest time (actually on September 14).  I’ll probably do it again next year, and will most likely do a Festbier too. 

I’ve got a honey nut brown ale in the fermenter, and am getting ready to do a Winter Warmer Porter next.  This past Saturday our brew club, Illiana Beer Rackers Union (IBRU), filled a used bourbon barrel with the Black is Beautiful recipe brewed by myself and several members.    Hope to serve some of it next year at the Crown BeerFest.  Cheers!
Sounds awesome! Zum Wohl!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3889 on: October 20, 2020, 03:37:08 pm »
Toasted Hazelnut Brown Ale

That looks great!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3890 on: October 20, 2020, 08:47:46 pm »

Sunday afternoon I braised some boudin in doppelbock with onions and rosemary to pair with brie and crackers as I compared/contrasted my Dubbel with Chimay Red. Truly inspiring lunch! My dubbel made wlp400 is a very different beast but held up well as a dubbel by any measure.

nice, which ones the homebrewed version? left glass?

i made a sugar water wine with a small amount of crystal malt and it is too sweet (1.025FG) to be drinkable but is a great cooking wine. 12%ABV, one dollar a 750ml bottle, uncarbonated. no wasted beer bottles. its the only thing i cook with now

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #3891 on: October 20, 2020, 09:32:07 pm »

nice, which ones the homebrewed version? left glass?

i made a sugar water wine with a small amount of crystal malt and it is too sweet (1.025FG) to be drinkable but is a great cooking wine. 12%ABV, one dollar a 750ml bottle, uncarbonated. no wasted beer bottles. its the only thing i cook with now
The one on right is the homebrew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3892 on: October 22, 2020, 04:08:43 pm »
My version of Birrificio Italiano Tipopils that just went on tap last night.  Lagered for 8 weeks...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3893 on: October 24, 2020, 06:28:01 pm »
Bavarian Hefeweizen

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Dave_in_Indiana

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3894 on: October 24, 2020, 07:43:07 pm »
That hefe looks great!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3895 on: October 24, 2020, 07:46:44 pm »
Thanks !!!!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3896 on: October 25, 2020, 12:34:36 pm »
Today in the basement with football, an APA that is crisply finished with Ultra and Glacier.  Two hops you just don't hear much about anymore.

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3897 on: October 25, 2020, 02:17:42 pm »
I love the color looks delicious

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3898 on: October 25, 2020, 06:57:35 pm »
Today in the basement with football, an APA that is crisply finished with Ultra and Glacier.  Two hops you just don't hear much about anymore.

What not a lager? Looks great. Looks a lot like BrewBama’s grain bill, which I just kicked a keg of.  Delicious.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3899 on: October 25, 2020, 07:02:08 pm »
What not a lager? Looks great. Looks a lot like BrewBama’s grain bill, which I just kicked a keg of.  Delicious.
Grain bill here was pale ale malt, wheat, some C40 and also some Copper Malt.  I admit that I am liking this Copper malt in small amounts in almost any beer.  There is a nice depth of flavor and I feel like it really helps with some head formation and stability.  I used a bit in a Czech Pils recently.  Sue me!  :D

I make a lot of lagers in the spring and summer.  This was only the third ale I have made in 2020.  There's another one in my on-deck fridge and another one fermenting now.  Cheers. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:04:56 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago.