Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585864 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3960 on: November 23, 2020, 11:34:00 am »
Wait. Who got the big beer glass and who got the little beer glass?
She has the pale ale and it's probably a 12oz glass.  I have the red lager which might be a 16 and it's closer to the camera.  ;)

Great looking green house! Lot of nice days to enjoy it in the last month or two.

I've noticed a lot of "pint" glasses are closer to 14 oz or even 12 oz. I think there's been a few lawsuits about it, with some unscrupulous bar owners claiming "pint glass" is just an expression or style of glass.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3961 on: November 23, 2020, 11:40:28 am »
awesome greenhouse, yup, i enjoy drinking outside a lot more than inside

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3962 on: November 23, 2020, 12:17:32 pm »
We have lots of weather in early spring and late fall in New England, and I am sure the same is true in Chicago, that are great for working outdoors and hiking but are just a bit nippy to sit still and enjoy a beer, despite beautiful sunny and clear skies. We have 4 large containers in there with lettuce, arugula, and spinach. The plants cranking out 02 make the air in there very pleasant and its nice having fresh greens into December.
Exactly.  It looks like a nice day but you can't comfortably sit outside because it's windy or cool.  The greenhouse takes care of that and you still feel like you're outside.  In the spring when we have a nice day (75° or something), I might have a baseball game on and sitting outside but then it will cool off or get windy or start drizzling and I pick up and go into the greenhouse.  It's pretty cool.  Now to get draft beer out there and also a bathroom.  :D  I replaced our wifi with a Eero mesh system and I can stream video out to the greenhouse so I'll bring my tablet and watch football out there and my wife has streamed Netflix out there.  Also... it's fastened down to the deck with big, coarse-thread screws.  The engineering is pretty good but believe me... when we get a storm or high winds, I check the greenhouse to see if it has been blown into the Klopek's yard.  :D
Ha, is it mandatory in Chicago to have a next door neighbor named Klopek?  Actually this summer we had a bad storm and the wind caught the part that opens to vent and pulled that and a couple ceiling panes off but nothing broke so I was able to fix it. Fortunately the metal parts are sturdy and didn't twist or otherwise fail. I remove the auto opener for the winter.
We live in the country so no need for a bathroom, plenty of trees, and a great view so no entertainment devices needed.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3963 on: November 23, 2020, 01:04:32 pm »
Ha, is it mandatory in Chicago to have a next door neighbor named Klopek?  Actually this summer we had a bad storm and the wind caught the part that opens to vent and pulled that and a couple ceiling panes off but nothing broke so I was able to fix it. Fortunately the metal parts are sturdy and didn't twist or otherwise fail. I remove the auto opener for the winter.
We live in the country so no need for a bathroom, plenty of trees, and a great view so no entertainment devices needed.
Last year on the night before Thanksgiving there was heavy wind.  I went outside for something completely unrelated and found one of the polycarbonate panels laying in the yard.  Near that I found a couple of the metal framing pieces.  I found all of the pieces and the next day went out and repaired it.  I also reinforced it with some brackets and also added some clear caulk between the polycarbonate and the frame in a few spots not only because it was mildly leaking but also to help keep things together the next time we get that kind of wind.  I have seen videos of people twisting and bending those poly panels... they're amazingly tough. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #3964 on: November 23, 2020, 09:21:44 pm »
London porter with spices and chocolate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3965 on: November 24, 2020, 05:29:00 am »

Nice looking porter with a creamy head and a bit of a red hue in the part of the glass that light comes through. Nice beer for the season.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3966 on: November 25, 2020, 02:50:57 pm »
My latest bitter aka Tim Taylor'sProperty Manager. Wy 1469, 99% Valley Malt Pale, 1% black malt, ekg and styrian goldings. 4.3%
Its delicious, nice flavor and mouthful with a dry finish. Hard to drink slow.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3967 on: November 25, 2020, 05:48:57 pm »
My latest bitter aka Tim Taylor'sProperty Manager. Wy 1469, 99% Valley Malt Pale, 1% black malt, ekg and styrian goldings. 4.3%

Looks great. Very simple grain bill.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3968 on: November 26, 2020, 05:54:09 am »

Thanks Tommy. When I first made my own recipes five specialty malts were not uncommon. Now I tend to favor beers that have the minimum ingredients necessary to get the results I want. In this case pale malt and a pinch of black malt to adjust color was all it took for a rich malt profile. My next English ale will have a bit of nice English dark crystal and Lyle’s syrup.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3969 on: November 26, 2020, 11:31:45 am »

Thanks Tommy. When I first made my own recipes five specialty malts were not uncommon. Now I tend to favor beers that have the minimum ingredients necessary to get the results I want. In this case pale malt and a pinch of black malt to adjust color was all it took for a rich malt profile. My next English ale will have a bit of nice English dark crystal and Lyle’s syrup.
I just did a British mild with marris otter and some crystal 60 I'm digging the simple grain bills myself. I tweaked a recipe from experimental brewing. The express mild

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #3970 on: November 27, 2020, 03:15:11 pm »

That’s beautiful! Dark beers don’t like to photograph as well as lighter ones.  Got to keg my porter tonight!

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3971 on: November 27, 2020, 03:17:47 pm »

My Pinot Noir Ale outside yesterday smoking ribs in the background.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3972 on: November 27, 2020, 03:21:07 pm »

awesome colour, did you mix pinot noir must or wine with it? or use wood soaked in wine?

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3973 on: November 27, 2020, 04:04:29 pm »

awesome colour, did you mix pinot noir must or wine with it? or use wood soaked in wine?
It’s stupid simple. The fermentables are 2:1 Pinot juice to malt. Recipe being 1.5 gallons Pinot Noir juice, 3 lbs Pilsen dme boiled with hops for 10 ibus, fermented with wlp400. Took me a while to warm up to but I’ve really enjoyed it!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3974 on: November 28, 2020, 03:28:57 pm »

It’s stupid simple. The fermentables are 2:1 Pinot juice to malt. Recipe being 1.5 gallons Pinot Noir juice, 3 lbs Pilsen dme boiled with hops for 10 ibus, fermented with wlp400. Took me a while to warm up to but I’ve really enjoyed it!

that sounds really good.