Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585789 times)

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4170 on: February 21, 2021, 07:14:00 pm »

I've got a German pils, called "Pilsnerpeton" (this name probably will only make sense if you're into herpetology or vertebrate paleontology)...it's the beer on the right. The left is a pour of commercial Bitburger, for comparison. Although the commercial Bitburger has better clarity for now, I'm absolutely thrilled with the flavor, head, and head retention on my homebrew pils!

This was made with 100% Viking Pilsner Zero Malt, a 55 lb. sack of which I got through my LHBS. The malt character is super nice!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4171 on: February 22, 2021, 07:35:38 am »

I've got a German pils, called "Pilsnerpeton" (this name probably will only make sense if you're into herpetology or vertebrate paleontology)...it's the beer on the right. The left is a pour of commercial Bitburger, for comparison. Although the commercial Bitburger has better clarity for now, I'm absolutely thrilled with the flavor, head, and head retention on my homebrew pils!

This was made with 100% Viking Pilsner Zero Malt, a 55 lb. sack of which I got through my LHBS. The malt character is super nice!
That looks nice.  The head is killer.  How did you hop it and what yeast did you use?
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4172 on: February 22, 2021, 09:01:54 am »
That looks nice.  The head is killer.  How did you hop it and what yeast did you use?

Thanks! I used Imperial's Global L13 as the yeast. Hops were a combo of Perle+Sterling for 60 minutes, and a late-hop addition of Perle+Mt. Hood for 10 minutes.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4173 on: February 27, 2021, 02:06:35 pm »
Pardon the plastic cup.  I had a brew session this morning and I'm hanging out in the greenhouse this afternoon because it's 52° and sunny here today and it feels like Acapulco compared to how the rest of February was.  I put this amber-colored ale recipe together with Maris Otter, Wheat, some Bairds British Crystal, Nugget hops and then late additions of Glacier and Simcoe and then 1968 for the yeast.  Damn, that 1968 drops out. 

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4174 on: February 27, 2021, 04:52:52 pm »
Pardon the plastic cup.  I had a brew session this morning and I'm hanging out in the greenhouse this afternoon because it's 52° and sunny here today and it feels like Acapulco compared to how the rest of February was.  I put this amber-colored ale recipe together with Maris Otter, Wheat, some Bairds British Crystal, Nugget hops and then late additions of Glacier and Simcoe and then 1968 for the yeast.  Damn, that 1968 drops out. 

Looks awesome! Man that beer in a clear plastic cup has me jonesing to get to a baseball game. Maybe 2022...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4175 on: February 27, 2021, 04:56:23 pm »
We had a beer in the greenhouse yesterday too. Not quite 52 but maybe 42 and sunny.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4176 on: February 27, 2021, 04:57:40 pm »
I really like Baird's crystal brw.

Online Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4177 on: February 27, 2021, 04:58:45 pm »

Looks awesome! Man that beer in a clear plastic cup has me jonesing to get to a baseball game. Maybe 2022...

No!!  2021!  I have every intention of hanging out at the AAA stadium this summer.   Big enough park, plenty of room to social distance, lots of good beers to choose from.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4178 on: February 27, 2021, 05:09:33 pm »

No!!  2021!  I have every intention of hanging out at the AAA stadium this summer.   Big enough park, plenty of room to social distance, lots of good beers to choose from.
Should that beer be disqualified for being served in a plastic cup? Aww, hell no! Looks great. I agree with Megary it’s time to get out to the ballpark for some craft brew served up in a plastic cup!

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4179 on: February 27, 2021, 06:14:20 pm »
Got a couple here.

Heather Ale

And a mead that was made by my buddy's dad.  He wanted to try making mead, and did really well for a first time.  He made the mead by himself.  He added some berries at the beginning, but not enough to come through in the flavor.  I helped him with a couple rackings, back sweetening, and bottling.

Funny story, a little while before we were set to bottle, he had a few too many one night and dropped some anise seeds into the carboy.  I didn't expect to need a straining bag, so i didn't take one with me when I went to his house.  Those darn seeds caused a few headaches by clogging the siphon when we were bottling.  They added a really nice flavor though.  Dualfine was used to clear it up and got it brilliantly clear.

What's in that heather ale? Looks great

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4180 on: February 28, 2021, 10:38:28 am »
I know what you guys mean with the plastic cup.  I feel like I could be at a music fest or street fest, at a baseball game, etc.  I keep them around for when I'm working on projects and don't want to have a nice beer glass nearby where it can get broken.  I have a pool too so the plastic glasses are good in the spring and summer.  It's also good to be among baseball fans.  I seem to hear a lot about how baseball is boring and the fans are dwindling, etc.  It's my favorite sport and what I miss the most when it's not being played.  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4181 on: February 28, 2021, 02:14:50 pm »
What's in that heather ale? Looks great

Thanks!  Heather ale is something I've had a weird obsession with for quite a number years.  I think I've made 6 or 7 different variations, but haven't hit exactly what I want yet.

There's a whole bunch of stuff in it.  I do use a small amount of hops, so it doesn't rely entirely on heather.  If you're interested in a full recipe, just let me know and I'll post it in the Recipes category.  But here's a short version.  Malts are Golden Promise, Vienna, Crystal 40, and Honey.  This particular batch also used tupelo honey as a fermentable and for back sweetening.  Hops were EKG and Fuggle, with heather tips (obviously), meadowsweet, and mugwort.

I like the base beer flavor of this batch, but I put a little too much heather in it.  I usually make different variations of tea with heather, meadowsweet, etc. to try to gauge amounts, but it doesn't always transfer perfectly to beer and an hour long boil.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4182 on: February 28, 2021, 02:49:09 pm »
Really enjoying this version of a Whitbread IPA. Quaffable.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4183 on: February 28, 2021, 03:42:22 pm »

whats the deal with whitbread IPA? its an EKG focused  old school (very) IPA right?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4184 on: February 28, 2021, 04:05:59 pm »

whats the deal with whitbread IPA? its an EKG focused  old school (very) IPA right?
Ron Pattinson posted this recipe a few years back when "Session IPA" was the IPA-of-the-week, with the point that the style was nothing new. The recipe is simple and (very) quaffable. For whatever reason it took on a life of its own in the homebrewing community and it became a staple for a lot of us. I know that I rarely brew someone else's recipe more than once, but I keep coming back to this one every year or so.

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer