Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586030 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4290 on: April 11, 2021, 10:55:30 am »
Vienna Lager
Finally figured out how to add photos!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holy Guacamole! 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4291 on: April 11, 2021, 10:56:11 am »
Czech Pils

Holy Guacamole again!  What's your secret to getting the beers so clear?  Both look awesome. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4292 on: April 11, 2021, 11:11:12 am »
Czech Pils

Holy Guacamole again!  What's your secret to getting the beers so clear?  Both look awesome.

Thanks!! I appreciate the feedback! I started using Biofine Clear about 5-6 brews ago. I started with 5ml and I didn't get the results I wanted quick enough so I started adding 10ml per 5 gallon keg. I'm not certain what the ppm would be though.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4293 on: April 11, 2021, 12:51:08 pm »
Czech Pils

Thanks!! I appreciate the feedback! I started using Biofine Clear about 5-6 brews ago. I started with 5ml and I didn't get the results I wanted quick enough so I started adding 10ml per 5 gallon keg. I'm not certain what the ppm would be though.
Does Biofine suggest two doses?  I forget.  I have something similar that calls for one dose while agitating the keg and then another dose with no agitation.  I'm a clear beer freak so always interested in this.   Thanks. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4294 on: April 11, 2021, 01:53:56 pm »
Czech Pils

Does Biofine suggest two doses?  I forget.  I have something similar that calls for one dose while agitating the keg and then another dose with no agitation.  I'm a clear beer freak so always interested in this.   Thanks.

So, I looked at the bottle and there was no mention of 2 doses. I didn't read that on their website either so I say one dose is suffice. The process I employ is adding biofine to the keg, transferring the beer, agitate by shaking and rolling which may be overkill since I add prior to transfer, blast of 30 psi gas to set the lid and in the 35* keezer for a couple weeks. It works well for me if I'm inpatient.

Which fining agent do you use?

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4295 on: April 11, 2021, 03:36:49 pm »

EKG dry hopped lager

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4296 on: April 11, 2021, 04:39:26 pm »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4297 on: April 11, 2021, 05:03:41 pm »

EKG dry hopped lager
So how is it? I remember liking the idea of this beer. How does the EKG pla6 in the lager.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4298 on: April 11, 2021, 06:25:53 pm »

EKG dry hopped lager
So how is it? I remember liking the idea of this beer. How does the EKG pla6 in the lager.

honestly i am underwhelmed. the vienna lager i made using all EKG hops is great because the stronger malt flavour works really well with the lager yeast for a more "what you would expect" taste.

this heavily EKG dosed lager was a speed-brew concept i had, where it was 100% dry malt extract brought to boil, boiled for 20 mins with very large doses of hops at 20/10 and flameout to achieve good IBUs for a brew time of only an hour.

it is very drinkable, but also very indistinct and bland. being DME it did not suffer from weird corny/vegetal DMS notes due to such a short boil. so if someone wants to make a crowd-pleaser plain lager beer really fast go for this quick method.

the EKG just tastes out of place and with not sufficiently stiff bitterness to reach the german pils levels i wanted. herbal, softly flowery, tea, honey with a soft bitterness for what should be ~35 IBU are what come to mind from the hops in this. i wouldn't use EKG in a pale beer or lager or on its own again.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4299 on: April 11, 2021, 07:04:50 pm »
So, I looked at the bottle and there was no mention of 2 doses. I didn't read that on their website either so I say one dose is suffice. The process I employ is adding biofine to the keg, transferring the beer, agitate by shaking and rolling which may be overkill since I add prior to transfer, blast of 30 psi gas to set the lid and in the 35* keezer for a couple weeks. It works well for me if I'm inpatient.

Is the beer COLD when you transfer from fermenter to keg?  I have used gel solution for a long time.  I generally get clear beer but sometimes I get clearish beer and sometimes I get cloudyish beer and I wonder why that is.  It may be something else and *NOT* my fining agent.  Cheers and thanks for the info.  I know some other brewers who swear by Biofine so I should probably pick some up and take it for a test drive. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4300 on: April 12, 2021, 03:37:44 am »

Is the beer COLD when you transfer from fermenter to keg?  I have used gel solution for a long time.  I generally get clear beer but sometimes I get clearish beer and sometimes I get cloudyish beer and I wonder why that is.  It may be something else and *NOT* my fining agent.  Cheers and thanks for the info.  I know some other brewers who swear by Biofine so I should probably pick some up and take it for a test drive.

Yes, cold crashed to 35* for about 3-4 days.
Cheers!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4301 on: April 12, 2021, 05:35:17 am »

I have used bio fine clear for several batches and it works well and is much easier to use than gelatin. As Hopden said just put it in keg before transfer and your done.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4302 on: April 12, 2021, 08:04:22 am »

I have used bio fine clear for several batches and it works well and is much easier to use than gelatin. As Hopden said just put it in keg before transfer and your done.
My only issue is that my beer is usually at basement temp when I transfer it from fermenter to keg and I can't fit my fermenter in my "on-deck" fridge.  I could transfer to keg, chill and THEN add it but I could see it not being as mixed in that way.  Thanks for the information.  I have been threatening to use Biofine for awhile.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline JacobT

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4303 on: April 15, 2021, 02:10:51 pm »
My first attempt at a belgian blonde. Very happy with the result!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4304 on: April 15, 2021, 02:51:17 pm »

My only issue is that my beer is usually at basement temp when I transfer it from fermenter to keg and I can't fit my fermenter in my "on-deck" fridge.  I could transfer to keg, chill and THEN add it but I could see it not being as mixed in that way.  Thanks for the information.  I have been threatening to use Biofine for awhile.
What I typically do is add the biofine to the keg, transfer beer that is at fermentation temp into keg, then stick it in my kegerator. It clears up nicely after a couple weeks. I use a tablespoon per 5 gallons, but 1-2 tablespoons is typically recommended for 5 gallons. If you're not putting your kegs into cold storage right away, not sure what the solution to that would be.
Jesse