Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585698 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4380 on: May 08, 2021, 09:21:33 am »
I brewed this one with Goldings and used Mangrove Jack’s  M36 yeast. I am planning a batch in the near future which is 1957 Whitbread IPA with Cascade hops and WLP002 English Ale yeast.

I think there is a lot room to experiment with this recipe.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4381 on: May 08, 2021, 09:44:05 am »
1957 Whitbread IPA. At 1036 OG I can see this beer as very competitive with a light lager for easy drink-ability.  I am surprised we don’t see more beers like this sold in cans at the grocery store.

PS. My shirt is making it more red than it really is.

lol dude, welcome to the 2010s, if not the 2000s. if not the 1920s. craft "light/session" lager is utter crap.
To each their own dude. It's actually the 2020s and flavorful light lager is back with a vengeance.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4382 on: May 09, 2021, 12:57:24 pm »
Last serving of Rauchbier from the keg, hops in the background. It was a spectacular example of the style brewed 12-27-2020. Gonna miss this ole friend till next winter. Got a touch of particulates from the bottom of the keg, that and condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4383 on: May 09, 2021, 07:01:13 pm »
1957 Whitbread IPA. At 1036 OG I can see this beer as very competitive with a light lager for easy drink-ability.  I am surprised we don’t see more beers like this sold in cans at the grocery store.

lol dude, welcome to the 2010s, if not the 2000s. if not the 1920s. craft "light/session" lager is utter crap.
To each their own dude. It's actually the 2020s and flavorful light lager is back with a vengeance.

I find that usually critics of flavorful lighter lager beers simply haven’t had a good one.  And usually lack the experience to make one.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4384 on: May 10, 2021, 10:49:35 am »

I find that usually critics of flavorful lighter lager beers simply haven’t had a good one.  And usually lack the experience to make one.

as a reply to this direct attack at me and my presumed abilities is not within the scope of this thread, and any warranted, retaliatory remark will be swiftly censored, deleted and/or punished, and that you know this fact, allowing you to be emboldened enough to do so while snivelingly hiding behind admin power, i simply won't reply to that statement.  :)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4385 on: May 10, 2021, 11:45:08 am »
Sorry about that - you are right, snark is not appropriate.  I just disagree with your assessment of light lagers.  They can be quite flavorful and are among the more difficult styles to brew well.

Best wishes to whatever you choose to brew.

Cheers. (P.S. I am not an administrator here - just a frequent poster; that does not make my opinion right, of course).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:48:40 am by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4386 on: May 10, 2021, 12:44:13 pm »

This looks great, tommymorris.  You can see it's a well-made beer. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4387 on: May 10, 2021, 12:45:33 pm »
A pilsner from over the weekend.  Well... a half a pilsner.  ;)  Pilsner malt, some Munich 2 and a bunch of late Spalt Select.  838 on the yeast. 

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4388 on: May 10, 2021, 12:55:43 pm »
Sorry about that - you are right, snark is not appropriate.  I just disagree with your assessment of light lagers.  They can be quite flavorful and are among the more difficult styles to brew well.

Best wishes to whatever you choose to brew.

Cheers. (P.S. I am not an administrator here - just a frequent poster; that does not make my opinion right, of course).

thanks. now, even the title "light lagers" can be confusing, as the assumption is a low gravity, yet also pale lager beer. though it is entirely possible to have a lowish gravity dunkel, schwarzbier, open style that is dark or heavily flavoured. however, the general state of them at least where i live is an excuse for the craft brewery to cheap out on materials and aim for the broadest demographic possible's existing tastes. the "a pale/light lager is the hardest beer to brew IN FACT" adage is simply not accurate in 2021 imho. the intermediately skilled and experienced homebrewer should have zero problem making a light and pale lager. i think the confusion on this is people's understanding of macrobreweries making a very consistent from bottle to bottle, batch to batch brew with no major flavour issues using the methods they do. these methods severely inhibit good flavour ie. high OG brewing, extreme cost considerations (absolute minimal hopping -bud apparently has ~7 IBU if im not mistaken), no strongly flavoured malts to cover up the base malt's plainness, etc.

please note i think my initial comment was in the spirit of saying that a ~1.036OG bitter is a better choice IMHO than a light lager and should have/has been recognized as such for a long time.

so -
1. making a light lager for a normally skilled and equipped homebrewer is not difficult
2. their key "thing" is that they are not strongly flavoured, yet not offensive. chuggable.
3. their "light" aspect denotes a non-aggressive hopping and non-challenging flavour profile.
4. this all adds up to something -i argue- that is completely inferior to the age-old session bitter, which has preceded the craft light lagerism that has been popular for about a decade now.

i am completely off light lagers as low og beers.

also i dont like them.

Offline Cambo18_4

• 1st Kit
  • CAMBO18_4
« Reply #4389 on: May 10, 2021, 01:37:56 pm »
New England Fog IPA extract kit from Michigan Brew Supply. Started out rough the first few glasses from the keg (1st time kegging) but has really come around to being a very good high hop brew. Definitelylearned some does and don't to make the next one better.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:39:29 pm by Cambo18_4 »
Cambo18_4 🔴🚔🔵

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4390 on: May 10, 2021, 02:15:48 pm »
A pilsner from over the weekend.  Well... a half a pilsner.  ;)  Pilsner malt, some Munich 2 and a bunch of late Spalt Select.  838 on the yeast. 

Beer looks good. That green grass looks great! Cheers!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4391 on: May 10, 2021, 02:17:24 pm »
New England Fog IPA extract kit from Michigan Brew Supply. Started out rough the first few glasses from the keg (1st time kegging) but has really come around to being a very good high hop brew. Definitelylearned some does and don't to make the next one better.

Looks good. Is that pitcher of beer? Cheers.

Offline Cambo18_4

• 1st Kit
  • CAMBO18_4
« Reply #4392 on: May 10, 2021, 02:36:06 pm »

Looks good. Is that pitcher of beer? Cheers.
Pitchers > Pints!

Cambo18_4 🔴🚔🔵

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4393 on: May 10, 2021, 03:13:56 pm »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4394 on: May 10, 2021, 04:29:16 pm »

Czech Pilsner. Just one tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk