Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585946 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4620 on: November 18, 2021, 08:00:24 am »
Boddington's 1943 IP I got the recipe from Pattinson's blog. Going to try the 1971 version next. Nice malty profile with a lingering bitterness.

Very nice.  I was out at a brewpub last weekend (Scorched Earth) and a bud who got there before me was drinking something that looked like that and he was calling it an "amber".  I looked at the chalkboard and it turned out to be an English Bitter served on nitro and my guess is that the pub was shooting for Boddies.  It was fantastic and the nitro made for a nice head and smooth character.  Yours looks beautiful. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4621 on: November 18, 2021, 03:27:27 pm »
Boddington's 1943 IP I got the recipe from Pattinson's blog. Going to try the 1971 version next. Nice malty profile with a lingering bitterness.

Very nice.  I was out at a brewpub last weekend (Scorched Earth) and a bud who got there before me was drinking something that looked like that and he was calling it an "amber".  I looked at the chalkboard and it turned out to be an English Bitter served on nitro and my guess is that the pub was shooting for Boddies.  It was fantastic and the nitro made for a nice head and smooth character.  Yours looks beautiful.
That's awesome a good English ale is hard to beat!

This one goes down a little to smooth! I have a buddy that's chomping at the bit to come over and have a couple.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #4622 on: November 18, 2021, 04:00:46 pm »
Winter Ale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4623 on: November 18, 2021, 04:10:57 pm »

Love me some "Boddies", got a couple cans in ye ole fridge now. That's a nice looking pint, and even better on nitro! I was reading somewhere that some bloke called Boddingtons a Mild Ale and I said, huh? Suppose it's possible...I always just thought of it as a straight up bitter. I always make my bitter a bit lighter, around 7 SRM, like Boddies whereas many people make them very dark. They get a bit too sweet and caramelly when you do that. Boddies is so perfect, like a minerally, bready/biscuity pint.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4624 on: November 18, 2021, 06:18:06 pm »
Love me some "Boddies", got a couple cans in ye ole fridge now. That's a nice looking pint, and even better on nitro! I was reading somewhere that some bloke called Boddingtons a Mild Ale and I said, huh? Suppose it's possible...I always just thought of it as a straight up bitter. I always make my bitter a bit lighter, around 7 SRM, like Boddies whereas many people make them very dark. They get a bit too sweet and caramelly when you do that. Boddies is so perfect, like a minerally, bready/biscuity pint.
Couldn't agree more.  I should probably head to my bottle shop and pick some up.  Boddies for errbody!!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4625 on: November 18, 2021, 09:07:39 pm »
Couldn't agree more.  I should probably head to my bottle shop and pick some up.  Boddies for errbody!!  :D
Cheers! Carbonation on the bodds is about spot on now!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4626 on: November 19, 2021, 06:01:13 am »

That’s a nice looking beer. Did you mineralize your brewing liquor? 

[rant]

IMO, that’s one of the biggest omissions of most brewing recipes. …especially historic recipes that are derived from the original brewing records.

Water makes up “90%” of the product but focus is on the 10% comprising of fermentables, yeast, and hop bitterness/aroma/flavor.

New rule: every homebrew recipe must now include post boil concentrations of minerals in this format:

Post Boil Vol: X gal
Calcium: 0.0 ppm - Magnesium: 0.0 ppm
Sodium: 0.0 ppm - Sulfate: 0.0 ppm
Chloride: 0.0 ppm - Bicarbonate: 0.0 ppm
Residual Alkalinity: 0.0 ppm
Sulfite/Chloride Ratio: 0

[/rant].

Seriously though, I wonder why Ron never includes water profiles?  It does make such a huge difference in the beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4627 on: November 19, 2021, 08:19:17 am »
Maybe because they're unknown?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4628 on: November 19, 2021, 08:50:19 am »

That’s a nice looking beer. Did you mineralize your brewing liquor? 

[rant]

IMO, that’s one of the biggest omissions of most brewing recipes. …especially historic recipes that are derived from the original brewing records.

Water makes up “90%” of the product but focus is on the 10% comprising of fermentables, yeast, and hop bitterness/aroma/flavor.

New rule: every homebrew recipe must now include post boil concentrations of minerals in this format:

Post Boil Vol: X gal
Calcium: 0.0 ppm - Magnesium: 0.0 ppm
Sodium: 0.0 ppm - Sulfate: 0.0 ppm
Chloride: 0.0 ppm - Bicarbonate: 0.0 ppm
Residual Alkalinity: 0.0 ppm
Sulfite/Chloride Ratio: 0

[/rant].

Seriously though, I wonder why Ron never includes water profiles?  It does make such a huge difference in the beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The water where Boddington's was brewed has a softer profile but yes I did adjust my water and the beer tastes good. I also made my own #2 invert sugar. Anyway enjoy the eye candy.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4629 on: November 19, 2021, 08:58:43 am »
This would be my guess. The profile would have to be assumed from the minerals already present in the local water supply which is what would've delegated what types of beer were brewed back then or at least beers areas were known for.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4630 on: November 19, 2021, 09:00:37 am »
This would be my guess. The profile would have to be assumed from the minerals already present in the local water supply which is what would've delegated what types of beer were brewed back then or at least beers areas were known for.

There's really no way to knowmwhat the water would have been like, unless you assume that the current profile is the same as the older one. You would also have to assume they did no treatment, which may or may not be the case.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4631 on: November 19, 2021, 09:04:36 am »

There's really no way to knowmwhat the water would have been like, unless you assume that the current profile is the same as the older one. You would also have to assume they did no treatment, which may or may not be the case.
Absolutely agree all we can do is make an educated guess and have a homebrew.

What I'm enjoying is trying out these old recipes. It's fun to try and attempt old recipes and make something from the past even if it's not exactly as they would've brewed it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:44:53 am by Big_Eight »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4632 on: November 19, 2021, 09:52:36 am »

What I'm enjoying is trying out these old recipes. It's fun to try and attempt old recipes and make something from the past even if it's not exactly as they would've brewed it.

That was exactly the way I felt about the Ballantine-ish IPA I brewed recently. I have no way of knowing whhat the original tasted like, and a former brewmaster there estimated that htere had been 100 different versions of it anyway.  So I looked at probable ingredients and went for it.  Turned out great, whether it's like the original or not.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4633 on: November 19, 2021, 10:34:56 am »

That was exactly the way I felt about the Ballantine-ish IPA I brewed recently. I have no way of knowing whhat the original tasted like, and a former brewmaster there estimated that htere had been 100 different versions of it anyway.  So I looked at probable ingredients and went for it.  Turned out great, whether it's like the original or not.
Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4634 on: November 19, 2021, 11:29:23 am »

Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

No pics, but here's the recipe I came up with.

https://community.grainfather.com/recipes/722438

www.dennybrew.com