Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585786 times)

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4635 on: November 19, 2021, 02:51:47 pm »
Maybe because they're unknown?
This would be my guess. The profile would have to be assumed from the minerals already present in the local water supply which is what would've delegated what types of beer were brewed back then or at least beers areas were known for.
I was thinking since he uses actual archived records there may be some nuggets or hints beyond a SWAG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4636 on: November 19, 2021, 03:28:46 pm »
This would be my guess. The profile would have to be assumed from the minerals already present in the local water supply which is what would've delegated what types of beer were brewed back then or at least beers areas were known for.

There's really no way to knowmwhat the water would have been like, unless you assume that the current profile is the same as the older one. You would also have to assume they did no treatment, which may or may not be the case.
Absolutely agree all we can do is make an educated guess and have a homebrew.

What I'm enjoying is trying out these old recipes. It's fun to try and attempt old recipes and make something from the past even if it's not exactly as they would've brewed it.

That was exactly the way I felt about the Ballantine-ish IPA I brewed recently. I have no way of knowing whhat the original tasted like, and a former brewmaster there estimated that htere had been 100 different versions of it anyway.  So I looked at probable ingredients and went for it.  Turned out great, whether it's like the original or not.
Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

No pics, but here's the recipe I came up with.

https://community.grainfather.com/recipes/722438
This link asks me to login. Do you need to make the recipe public?

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4637 on: November 19, 2021, 04:07:21 pm »
I was thinking since he uses actual archived records there may be some nuggets or hints beyond a SWAG.

He does state in his 'Homebrewers Guide To Vintage Beer' book that water in the development of beer styles has been overstated but that he has some precise water information in the constituents of some brewing water in particular Barclay Perkins.

Here is the link to the recipe I referenced but no mention of water.

1943 Boddington IP
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:09:39 pm by Big_Eight »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4638 on: November 19, 2021, 04:17:15 pm »

There's really no way to knowmwhat the water would have been like, unless you assume that the current profile is the same as the older one. You would also have to assume they did no treatment, which may or may not be the case.

What I'm enjoying is trying out these old recipes. It's fun to try and attempt old recipes and make something from the past even if it's not exactly as they would've brewed it.

That was exactly the way I felt about the Ballantine-ish IPA I brewed recently. I have no way of knowing whhat the original tasted like, and a former brewmaster there estimated that htere had been 100 different versions of it anyway.  So I looked at probable ingredients and went for it.  Turned out great, whether it's like the original or not.

I thought it was. I'll look into it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4639 on: November 19, 2021, 05:10:40 pm »

I thought it was. I'll look into it.
I went ahead and logged in. Then I could see your recipe.

That’s a big beer.  It must have gotten a lot of our dads and granddads drunk ;) I don’t know anything about the original. So, I was curious.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #4640 on: November 20, 2021, 02:39:49 pm »
This is my West Coast Hop Blaster

Bier bewusst genießen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4641 on: November 20, 2021, 02:46:27 pm »

Bier bewusst genießen

That's a nice looking beer.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4642 on: November 20, 2021, 04:02:24 pm »

Bier bewusst genießen

Heck yeah! I want one of those.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #4643 on: November 20, 2021, 04:42:48 pm »
C’mon over. We’re watching the Crimson Tide.  …just served pulled pork and turnip greens.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4644 on: November 20, 2021, 04:50:46 pm »
C’mon over. We’re watching the Crimson Tide.  …just served pulled pork and turnip greens.

Me, too!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4645 on: November 20, 2021, 10:06:21 pm »

wlp550 sdba

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4646 on: November 21, 2021, 09:50:16 am »
Bottled 3 gallons of Raspberry Mead for my wife yesterday. Estimated ABV is about 14%. PS - A happy wife is a happy husband!

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4647 on: November 22, 2021, 11:40:29 am »
Having a pint off the tap while bottling my stout figured I'd post another picture. This is my 1943 Bodds IP Clone. Goes down to easy.

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4648 on: November 23, 2021, 01:48:27 pm »
Having a pint off the tap while bottling my stout figured I'd post another picture. This is my 1943 Bodds IP Clone. Goes down to easy.

I was at my local bottle shop and circled the beer area (both cold and room-temp) and couldn't find the Boddies.  I asked one of the crack staff and he winced and said he thought they were out and then called on his "radio" asking another person.  Yep, sold out.   :-\
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4649 on: November 23, 2021, 01:52:27 pm »
The Cream of Manchester - despite others here dissing the recent iteration, I enjoy it and never had the earlier versions prior to 1990, let alone the original.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"