Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 575375 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4710 on: January 16, 2022, 09:17:04 am »
Very happy with this schwarzbier. Rides the line between classic reserved roast character and more modern intense variations of the style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks good. I have a schwarzbier planned for later this year and keep going back and forth with the subdued vs robust roast versions.  My current thought is to use debittered malt to mellow it a bit.   We’ll see what I settle on when the time comes.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4711 on: January 16, 2022, 11:03:34 am »

Looks good. I have a schwarzbier planned for later this year and keep going back and forth with the subdued vs robust roast versions.  My current thought is to use debittered malt to mellow it a bit.   We’ll see what I settle on when the time comes.

i used weyermann carafa special (the debittered one) III at 3% of grist for an ale recently (not schwarzbier). for the first two weeks there was a perception of roasted malt, but long term there is virtually none and it raised the SRM by about 20. so you could do 5% special III imho to get the colour over 30 SRM with just the lightest touch of roast imho.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4712 on: January 17, 2022, 02:43:57 pm »
This is my Christmas Ale.

It’s an English IPA. I really didn’t know how to make an English IPA. I found a presentation from Mitch Steele about all IPA styles on the AHA website. The presentation said English IPA has 0-10% caramel malt, 0-10% Munich malt, and 0-15% sugars. So, I went with C40, Munich 1, and honey at 10% each.  Hops were Willamette and Cascade.  Yeast Verdant IPA.

This beer is awesome and dare I say, it tastes like an English IPA to me and the pine is definitely Christmas!

Cheers!
Had to say that sounds simple and delicious! Willamette and cascade together is always a winner! I haven’t used Verdant yet but expect it makes tasty beer.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4713 on: January 17, 2022, 03:51:44 pm »
This is my Christmas Ale.

It’s an English IPA. I really didn’t know how to make an English IPA. I found a presentation from Mitch Steele about all IPA styles on the AHA website. The presentation said English IPA has 0-10% caramel malt, 0-10% Munich malt, and 0-15% sugars. So, I went with C40, Munich 1, and honey at 10% each.  Hops were Willamette and Cascade.  Yeast Verdant IPA.

This beer is awesome and dare I say, it tastes like an English IPA to me and the pine is definitely Christmas!

Cheers!
Had to say that sounds simple and delicious! Willamette and cascade together is always a winner! I haven’t used Verdant yet but expect it makes tasty beer.

Thanks, that was a great beer.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4714 on: January 22, 2022, 05:50:50 pm »
Schwarzbier, first go at it. Pretty good but it needs a touch more roast character. Color looks too dark in this photo

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4715 on: January 22, 2022, 06:15:43 pm »
This is just Golden Promise, Willamette, and WY1450.  It came out better than I expected.

I have a Great Western 2-row, Willamette, Verdant IPA yeast beer that I kegged about a week ago. It is also quite good. I think it still needs another week to really shine but very nice already.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4716 on: January 30, 2022, 02:15:39 pm »
Cabana Lager in the pub watching the playoffs this afternoon...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4717 on: January 31, 2022, 03:48:10 pm »

Monday Lager…..0.25L is just enough!!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4718 on: January 31, 2022, 06:42:48 pm »

Very nice.  What is it?
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4719 on: February 01, 2022, 04:19:37 am »

Very nice.  What is it?

Thank you!

It is a Czech Lager. Started to play around with pouring from a side tap to get the creamy foam. Takes a few minutes and its done in stages.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4720 on: February 05, 2022, 07:08:29 pm »
Here’s a Stout I call ‘Black Cat’. (Ref to a unit I was in). Pale, Flaked Barley, Roast Barley, and Choc malts.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4721 on: February 05, 2022, 09:09:10 pm »
Very nice, BB.  Looks like a quality beer as usual.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4722 on: February 08, 2022, 09:16:42 pm »
Half and half. On top was supposed to be a brown porter, but after subbing in some ingredients at the last minute it turned out a lot closer to an Irish Stout so that's what I'm going with.

On the bottom is a pale lager made with Vienna and corn. It reminds me of Coors, but more flavorful, so I'm calling it "Better'n Banquet".
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4723 on: February 22, 2022, 06:34:43 pm »
Just tapped a stjørdol (Norwegian smoked farmhouse ale) that I made with dried Lutra. Super tasty, come across much cleaner than the other kveik strains I've tried, and fermentation was vigorous and fast.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4724 on: February 25, 2022, 07:03:59 pm »
I recently brewed a Pliny clone (using a MoreBeer kit), and did a side-by-side comparison (blogged here: https://andybrews.com/2022/02/25/pliny-vs-pliny/). My version is really good, but the Pliny version is just better. The hop aroma pops in a way that mine does not...but, I have an idea on how to adjust for my next version. It's not often I get to sample a clone recipe directly next to a fresh version of the original, so this was a really fun experiment.

My clone is on the left; the original Pliny the Elder is on the right.
Facebook: Farke Brewing