Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 586026 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4800 on: April 10, 2022, 06:16:05 am »
Amber Lager from yesterday.  This one has Pils, Redx, C80, and a smidge of Dark Chocolate for color. Amarillo through out. Charlie’s Fist Bump yeast.

The bottom of that glass reminds me of a sunset on the beach. Great looking beer!

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4801 on: April 10, 2022, 11:11:40 am »
100% Rahr North Star pils malt, 35 IBU's with Galena, fermented with bootleg biology saison parfait yeast blend OG 1.048, FG 1.002. It had good foam until I started drinking it after eating potato chips
https://imgur.com/a/D5hqEM8
Clicked the link, it’s lovely. Simple beers are the best beers to have around. We all brew some complex stuff but having a few pints of interesting yer simple beer is tops! Would live to hear about saison parfait’s character and is it a mixed culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4802 on: April 10, 2022, 11:15:14 am »
Amber Lager from yesterday.  This one has Pils, Redx, C80, and a smidge of Dark Chocolate for color. Amarillo through out. Charlie’s Fist Bump yeast.

“She’s a beaut Clark”
Totally get the beach sunset at the bottom too, but only after it was pointed out.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4803 on: April 10, 2022, 11:26:29 am »

My recent flight of what’s on tap left to right: hoppy crisp blonde, traditional bock, ESB, and the same hoppy blonde… what can I say I’ve only got 3 taps! I love this tasty hobby!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4804 on: April 10, 2022, 01:18:31 pm »
A better shot of this pilsner in a more suitable glass.  Cheers Beerheads.

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4805 on: April 10, 2022, 01:36:59 pm »
A better shot of this pilsner in a more suitable glass.  Cheers Beerheads.

You definitely make some beautiful looking beer!! I have used gelatin and biofine in the past with good results but never have I had beer quite this crystal clear. Well done!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4806 on: April 10, 2022, 02:04:10 pm »
You definitely make some beautiful looking beer!! I have used gelatin and biofine in the past with good results but never have I had beer quite this crystal clear. Well done!
Thanks brother.  I swear I'm trying over here.  On every batch I want the beer to look this way.  Taste is first, clearly but I always want the beer to look polished too.  I just finished a run of seven batches with S-04 and that yeast drops like a rock so I think there will be some clear ales coming up.  Some process "simplification" has helped on the clarity front as well, IMO.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4807 on: April 10, 2022, 02:19:53 pm »
Thanks brother.  I swear I'm trying over here.  On every batch I want the beer to look this way.  Taste is first, clearly but I always want the beer to look polished too.  I just finished a run of seven batches with S-04 and that yeast drops like a rock so I think there will be some clear ales coming up.  Some process "simplification" has helped on the clarity front as well, IMO.  Cheers.

I would definitely be interested in what your process simplification is because I need to make beer look like that!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4808 on: April 10, 2022, 07:13:29 pm »
Berry Spring’s Best

« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 07:46:21 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4809 on: April 10, 2022, 07:21:38 pm »
My 71' Bodds attempt. Wyeast 1968 and a more mineralized profile. Beer is pretty clear but I've found I like my beers colder than the accepted temperature for British ales lol. I have some chill haze with the colder temperature.

Cheers!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4810 on: April 12, 2022, 09:05:03 am »

007 is my favorite ale yeast. Attenuates and drops out to a solid cake. I haven’t used 04 in a long time. 007 and 04 are hard to tell apart for me. Nice beer!
Jeff B

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4811 on: April 12, 2022, 10:45:15 am »

007 is my favorite ale yeast. Attenuates and drops out to a solid cake. I haven’t used 04 in a long time. 007 and 04 are hard to tell apart for me. Nice beer!
Yeah, a lot of the UK yeast strains drop nicely and leave a nice, clear beer behind.  They can stall or leave the beer slightly underattenuated under the right (wrong?) conditions and many of them are notorious for diacetyl too.  On the lager side, Czech 2278 and White Labs 940 are known for "medium-high" and "high" flocculation which is a big help.

For years I have been trying to determine what aspects of brewing can impact clarity.  The crush, the mash process, pH numbers, yeast strain, boil rate, etc.  With no real scientific backup for this, I have to assume that improper pH numbers throughout the process must have an impact on clarity.  One of the "simplifications" came from Brewbama who displays his beautiful beers here often.  His strategy (which I believe was inspired by Gordon Strong) was to just get your strike water to a premash pH of 5.5 and let the rest take care of itself.  Some who like to focus heavily on mash pH might find this reckless but it seems to work beautifully.  Another angle on it is to withhold very dark grains from the mash, crush them separately and add them to the MT at the end of the mash.  This way they won't futz with mash pH very much.  Very dark grains are usually in small percentages and each brewer can decide what to mash and what to add later as they see fit.  If I make a darker beer with maybe 1-2% carafa or midnight wheat, I can easily hold that until the end.  I have a Vienna Lager on tap now where I did this with carafa.  It's delicious, well-balanced and clear.  You could literally put your pH meter on the shelf with this approach and I pretty much have.  I have a perfectly good Apera meter that I just have not used since I started this.  Yes, I needed it to determine how much acid I needed to get my strike water and sparge water to a pH of 5.5 but after that... I don't bother taking readings anymore.  The mash pH is going to be in range.  For those who prefer to get into the mud and look at numbers, plot and chart them, etc... avert your eyes.  :D 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4812 on: April 12, 2022, 01:13:04 pm »

Yeah, a lot of the UK yeast strains drop nicely and leave a nice, clear beer behind.  They can stall or leave the beer slightly underattenuated under the right (wrong?) conditions and many of them are notorious for diacetyl too.  On the lager side, Czech 2278 and White Labs 940 are known for "medium-high" and "high" flocculation which is a big help.

For years I have been trying to determine what aspects of brewing can impact clarity.  The crush, the mash process, pH numbers, yeast strain, boil rate, etc.  With no real scientific backup for this, I have to assume that improper pH numbers throughout the process must have an impact on clarity.  One of the "simplifications" came from Brewbama who displays his beautiful beers here often.  His strategy (which I believe was inspired by Gordon Strong) was to just get your strike water to a premash pH of 5.5 and let the rest take care of itself.  Some who like to focus heavily on mash pH might find this reckless but it seems to work beautifully.  Another angle on it is to withhold very dark grains from the mash, crush them separately and add them to the MT at the end of the mash.  This way they won't futz with mash pH very much.  Very dark grains are usually in small percentages and each brewer can decide what to mash and what to add later as they see fit.  If I make a darker beer with maybe 1-2% carafa or midnight wheat, I can easily hold that until the end.  I have a Vienna Lager on tap now where I did this with carafa.  It's delicious, well-balanced and clear.  You could literally put your pH meter on the shelf with this approach and I pretty much have.  I have a perfectly good Apera meter that I just have not used since I started this.  Yes, I needed it to determine how much acid I needed to get my strike water and sparge water to a pH of 5.5 but after that... I don't bother taking readings anymore.  The mash pH is going to be in range.  For those who prefer to get into the mud and look at numbers, plot and chart them, etc... avert your eyes.  :D

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe BrewBama is brewing with RO water and thus holding his dark grains is in fact a way to not have them “futz” with the mash.  For my moderately bicarbonated water, the dark grains are a blessing for the full mash (as far as pH goes). My using the roasted barley, chocolate malt etc. in the mash allows me to leave the acid on the shelf.
Maybe it’s to be understood that everyone uses RO water (I have no idea), but I just think a distinction needs to be made.
Cheers. 

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4813 on: April 12, 2022, 01:20:01 pm »

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe BrewBama is brewing with RO water and thus holding his dark grains is in fact a way to not have them “futz” with the mash.  For my moderately bicarbonated water, the dark grains are a blessing for the full mash (as far as pH goes). My using the roasted barley, chocolate malt etc. in the mash allows me to leave the acid on the shelf.
Maybe it’s to be understood that everyone uses RO water (I have no idea), but I just think a distinction needs to be made.
Cheers.

same, i use acid malt for pale brews, but anything with noticeable amounts of roasted malts i can leave it out. also just a fan of many dark and distinctly roasty beers in general like i believe you are.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4814 on: April 12, 2022, 01:45:15 pm »

Cheers.
That’s correct. It’s all about mash pH.