Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585983 times)

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4815 on: April 12, 2022, 01:55:03 pm »
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe BrewBama is brewing with RO water and thus holding his dark grains is in fact a way to not have them “futz” with the mash.  For my moderately bicarbonated water, the dark grains are a blessing for the full mash (as far as pH goes). My using the roasted barley, chocolate malt etc. in the mash allows me to leave the acid on the shelf.
Maybe it’s to be understood that everyone uses RO water (I have no idea), but I just think a distinction needs to be made.
Cheers.
I feel like it all comes out the same way regardless.  BB does use RO water so his strategy to get his water to a pH of 5.5 prior to mashing is one way.  I have 138ppm of bicarb (the rest of my water numbers are very modest) so I need 2.75ml of lactic acid in five gallons of my filtered source water (which has a pH out of the tap of 7.9) to reach a pH of 5.5.  BrewBama does the same (ish) thing on every batch and so do I.  Simplification.  I could adjust the acid on each batch based on the amount of dark grains but this way I don't have to.  It's not for everyone.  Denny mentioned that he likes the character he gets from having his dark grains in the mash the entire time so this is not for him.  Is it cookie-cutter?  Maybe.  Is it cheating and getting around doing the proper work that's required to make a great batch of beer?  Maybe.  But I am really liking the way the beers are coming out.  I was open-minded enough to try some LO stuff because I wanted to know what it was like.  I kept some of those processes.  Then I talked with BB about some of his ideas and I wanted to try those too.  I like them and the resulting beers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4816 on: April 12, 2022, 02:08:06 pm »
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe BrewBama is brewing with RO water and thus holding his dark grains is in fact a way to not have them “futz” with the mash.  For my moderately bicarbonated water, the dark grains are a blessing for the full mash (as far as pH goes). My using the roasted barley, chocolate malt etc. in the mash allows me to leave the acid on the shelf.
Maybe it’s to be understood that everyone uses RO water (I have no idea), but I just think a distinction needs to be made.
Cheers.
I feel like it all comes out the same way regardless.  BB does use RO water so his strategy to get his water to a pH of 5.5 prior to mashing is one way.  I have 138ppm of bicarb (the rest of my water numbers are very modest) so I need 2.75ml of lactic acid in five gallons of my filtered source water (which has a pH out of the tap of 7.9) to reach a pH of 5.5.  BrewBama does the same (ish) thing on every batch and so do I.  Simplification.  I could adjust the acid on each batch based on the amount of dark grains but this way I don't have to.  It's not for everyone.  Denny mentioned that he likes the character he gets from having his dark grains in the mash the entire time so this is not for him.  Is it cookie-cutter?  Maybe.  Is it cheating and getting around doing the proper work that's required to make a great batch of beer?  Maybe.  But I am really liking the way the beers are coming out.  I was open-minded enough to try some LO stuff because I wanted to know what it was like.  I kept some of those processes.  Then I talked with BB about some of his ideas and I wanted to try those too.  I like them and the resulting beers.

I’ve never thought of something like this. Interesting practice no doubt. I do all RO because my water is hard. Sometimes I blend it and full go on darks. Thanks for the information, easy is what I’m after.
Jeff B

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4817 on: April 12, 2022, 02:32:12 pm »
Cheers.

If you mean whether you add dark malts to the mash or sparge, my experience is that it makes a huge difference in taste.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4818 on: April 12, 2022, 02:38:13 pm »
Cheers.

If you mean whether you add dark malts to the mash or sparge, my experience is that it makes a huge difference in taste.
We touched on this in another thread (and maybe on another board) and you mentioned that you liked the character you got from darker malts when they were in the mash the entire time and I get it.  I'm sure the roasty character is deeper.  I'm not necessarily a fan of overly roasty character and carafa and midnight wheat are pretty low on it to begin with.  This whole concept comes down to where to draw the line too... 4 ounces of special b... in the mash or at the end?  8 ounces of crystal 40... in the mash or at the end?  An English bitter with 8 ounces of a dark crystal malt?  In the mash or at the end?  I tend to add all crystal malts to the mash and save the "at the end" malts to things like MW and carafa.  I don't think the smaller amount of crystal malts are going to push the pH lower than the desired range. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4819 on: April 12, 2022, 02:48:13 pm »
Cheers.

We touched on this in another thread (and maybe on another board) and you mentioned that you liked the character you got from darker malts when they were in the mash the entire time and I get it.  I'm sure the roasty character is deeper.  I'm not necessarily a fan of overly roasty character and carafa and midnight wheat are pretty low on it to begin with.  This whole concept comes down to where to draw the line too... 4 ounces of special b... in the mash or at the end?  8 ounces of crystal 40... in the mash or at the end?  An English bitter with 8 ounces of a dark crystal malt?  In the mash or at the end?  I tend to add all crystal malts to the mash and save the "at the end" malts to things like MW and carafa.  I don't think the smaller amount of crystal malts are going to push the pH lower than the desired range.

I don't necessarily always do it one way or the other.  It depends on the character I want in the beer.  For a porter or stout, it's dark grains in the mash. For something like a schwarz or dunkel, it's during sparge. That's why I say there's a difference. I don't worry about pH at all.  Just do what Brunwater tells me to do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4820 on: April 12, 2022, 07:23:25 pm »
Opening Night at the local ballfield. I didn’t brew it but thought I’d share along with a foul ball, peanuts, and cracker jacks.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 07:35:56 pm by BrewBama »

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4821 on: April 12, 2022, 08:59:04 pm »
Opening Night at the local ballfield. I didn’t brew it but thought I’d share along with a foul ball, peanuts, and cracker jacks.

Very nice.  Go sports!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4822 on: April 18, 2022, 01:50:17 pm »
I failed to mention something in that "simplification" post on the last page.  There was also some talk about pH with regard to mashing, boiling, clarification and pitching.  It turns out that the same pH is not necessarily beneficial for all those processes and I can't remember where I saw that.  So your standard 5.2 to 5.4 (at mash temp) is good for mashing and the boil likes that pH as well.  But clarifiers like Whirfloc seem to work better and be more efficient at a lower pH and the yeast apparently likes the pH slightly lower as well.  I use Whirfloc in the boil with about 7 minutes left so with 10 minutes left I add 1ml of lactic acid to the boil.  I have tried 1.5ml and I believe 2ml and the goal was to try to get the pH of the wort close to 5.0 by the time you're transferring to the fermenter.  My acid additions to the boil did not seem to get me to 5.0 and I'm not sure why.  So I settled on 1ml of lactic acid with 10 minutes left in the boil and my clarity seemed to improve and the flavor of the beer has been as good as it's been.  For those who would like to point to some scientific application that is either in favor of all of this or suggests that it's nonsense, please post and shed some light on it.  This process was adopted after reading A LOT of content regarding the proper pH levels throughout the process. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4823 on: April 19, 2022, 03:04:47 pm »
Another pic of my attempt at a 71' Bodds Recipe.

I have an attempt at a 1910 Fullers X Dark Mild I'll be posting soon once it's carbed initial samples tasted pretty nice.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4824 on: April 21, 2022, 04:38:04 am »
100% Rahr North Star pils malt, 35 IBU's with Galena, fermented with bootleg biology saison parfait yeast blend OG 1.048, FG 1.002. It had good foam until I started drinking it after eating potato chips
https://imgur.com/a/D5hqEM8
Nice looking beer. How was the Rahr North Star Pils malt?

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4825 on: April 26, 2022, 05:38:46 pm »
Pub Ale

78% Golden Promise, 12% Golden Naked Oats, 5% Dbl Roasted Crystal, 5% Dem Sugar, 27 IBUs Loral (for me 1 oz at 20, 5, 0)) Bry-97 .

A nice Sessionable Pint.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 06:53:54 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4826 on: May 01, 2022, 02:01:07 pm »

Dunkel that was a little too hoppy a few weeks ago and perfect now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4827 on: May 01, 2022, 02:24:42 pm »
Pub Ale

78% Golden Promise, 12% Golden Naked Oats, 5% Dbl Roasted Crystal, 5% Dem Sugar, 27 IBUs Loral (for me 1 oz at 20, 5, 0)) Bry-97 .

A nice Sessionable Pint.

Looks and sounds great!

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #4828 on: May 01, 2022, 02:31:23 pm »

Dunkel that was a little too hoppy a few weeks ago and perfect now.

Yummy! I just kegged a British Brown ale that lagered for a month while it waited for an available keg. I can only hope it looks as good as this.

A side note, it was made with Thames Valley and so far I love the fruit flavors I get from it but it is very powdery and very slow to flocculate. I added gelatin at kegging so that should help.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #4829 on: May 02, 2022, 07:54:50 am »

Cream Ale brewed with Sugar Creek 2-Row (75%) and Amanda white malted corn (25%) at 5.4%. Used Lallemand BRY-97 yeast. Cleared with 15ml of biofine clear added to keg. Beer was kegged on April 19 and clear on April 26. First time that I used biofine clear.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 08:03:03 am by purduekenn »