Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 584653 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4860 on: May 31, 2022, 02:09:23 pm »
My idea of an AW lines up with yours.  Summer crusher, indeed.  Funny, because on occasion, I've also tried to get a touch of lemon/lime from the hops, though I'm not opposed to late additions.  Sorachi Ace was supposed to contribute lemon/lime but instead it made for a nice dill sauce.  :o  Closest I've come is a small Motueka/Lemondrop combo added at flameout.  The beer was great, the citrus...present, but slight.  I may bump them next time, or even dry hop.
In this group I made the American Wheat, a Blonde Ale and a Cream Ale.  All lighter styles, all with S-04.  The American Wheat had Loral, the Blonde Ale had Liberty and the Cream Ale has flaked corn and Sterling hops.  All clean and refreshing beers.  I like the concept of using hops to bring some citrus but dry hopping is going to do something contradictory to what I want to do and that is to make a beer that I consider to be "smashable" but has a lot of late hops.  I could use some extract or lemon/orange zest, etc. but typically I get to that point in the recipe design and decide NOT to do that and instead make it plain and have the opportunity to drink it plain when the desire exists or add a lemon wedge which I consider to be the best form of flavor you can get because it's natural and you're adding it right when you're drinking the beer.   In a world with a lot of wild beer styles, my preferences don't align with many brewers or beer drinkers... but I think I have been saying that for over 20 years.   ;D

I'm not 100% sure I understand...are you saying that a dry hopped beer can't be "smashable"?  Or, it's just not your idea of what a simple crusher should be?
No right or wrong answer in my opinion, I'm just being nosy.
It's a personal preference.  I make a lot of beers where there is one hop addition at the start of the boil and that's it.  Totally out of line with most other homebrewers.  Occasionally I find myself out somewhere and I'll order something that I might not brew myself like an IPA.  First off, they're typically too strong to "smash" unless I don't mind sounding sloppy all night but also, all the late hops (while great when you just have a few sips) start to fatigue my tasebuds at some point and I find myself burning out on it.  You could have a 4.5% "All Day IPA" kind of thing which would take care of issue #1 but the late hops make it so I have to downshift to something less hoppy.  Boring and weird compared to most brewers today.  :D

Ok, I got you.  I think there's a disconnect though.  Whenever someone mentions "Dry hop" today, it seems like it's understood to mean "like an IPA".  I think an AW can be dry hopped with just a sprinkling of hops so that it doesn't create that fatigue you mention, but it does build on some sense of aroma/flavor, be it lemon or lime or whatever.  It's unheard of anymore to use <=.25oz to dry hop.  Why bother, right?   But, in the right circumstance, I think a small dose can be effective without getting in the way.  Just my opinion.

You mentioned earlier that you used Loral because it might add some lemon, but used it at the top of the boil (an admittedly short boil).  Would you expect lemon to come through from that addition?  Can't say that I've ever noticed any particular hop contribution (other than bitterness of course) from a beer that only had a bittering charge.

Sorry to be a pain, I find this interesting.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4861 on: May 31, 2022, 04:08:23 pm »
Ok, I got you.  I think there's a disconnect though.  Whenever someone mentions "Dry hop" today, it seems like it's understood to mean "like an IPA".  I think an AW can be dry hopped with just a sprinkling of hops so that it doesn't create that fatigue you mention, but it does build on some sense of aroma/flavor, be it lemon or lime or whatever.  It's unheard of anymore to use <=.25oz to dry hop.  Why bother, right?   But, in the right circumstance, I think a small dose can be effective without getting in the way.  Just my opinion.

You mentioned earlier that you used Loral because it might add some lemon, but used it at the top of the boil (an admittedly short boil).  Would you expect lemon to come through from that addition?  Can't say that I've ever noticed any particular hop contribution (other than bitterness of course) from a beer that only had a bittering charge.

Sorry to be a pain, I find this interesting.
You're not a pain.  This is why the forum exists.  You're right, a hop that was supposed to bring a certain character probably needs to be added late.  But IMO, you need quite a bit of it to get that character... certainly more than .25 ounces.  This reminds me of Belma (a hop that makes me laugh because I considered it a huge fail) where some brewers would post breathless reviews about the amazing strawberry and watermelon flavors it brought to the beer.  So I bought some and used some late and I got none of that.  I made another beer (I seem to remember a blonde ale) and added something like 5 ounces of Belma to the whirlpool.  No strawberry.  No watermelon.  I didn't bother using the rest of those hops because as far as "hops" go, the character that they *DID* have wasn't that great anyway.  Those reviewers must have used an awful lot of Belma!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4862 on: May 31, 2022, 05:01:07 pm »
Makes you wonder how important the source and the vintage of the hops are?

Not to mention the differences in everyone’s taste buds.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4863 on: May 31, 2022, 06:21:11 pm »
Makes you wonder how important the source and the vintage of the hops are?

Not to mention the differences in everyone’s taste buds.
True.  I am much more picky about my hop source now than I used to be.  YVH and Hop Heaven are where most of my hops come from and I have had great results.  Also keeping the hops vac-sealed helps.  I know you tend to buy in smaller quantities so you don't have hops sitting around and that is certainly one way to make sure you don't use stale hops.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4864 on: June 04, 2022, 03:33:22 pm »
Czech Pils - mmmm good!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:13:53 pm by tommymorris »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4865 on: June 04, 2022, 03:48:02 pm »
Hurricane Creek Blonde Ale

This one is a great hoppy blonde. Thanks for the recipe, Brewbama!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4866 on: June 04, 2022, 05:36:03 pm »

Adjunct amber lager. Had to move the keg yesterday so it’s lost some clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4867 on: June 04, 2022, 05:36:33 pm »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4868 on: June 04, 2022, 05:37:00 pm »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4869 on: June 04, 2022, 07:57:22 pm »
Looks clear from my house.

Nice glass.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4870 on: June 06, 2022, 09:55:29 pm »
Beautiful beers, gentlemen. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #4871 on: June 11, 2022, 10:35:29 pm »
Ordinary bitter and dark mild.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4872 on: June 12, 2022, 05:29:09 am »
Those look great. So does the background.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4873 on: June 12, 2022, 04:35:13 pm »
Blonde ale.  Pilsner, Vienna, a bit of Copper Malt, all Liberty hops, S-04.  It looks darker in the picture.  In person it looks very "blonde ale". 

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4874 on: June 12, 2022, 06:28:25 pm »
Blonde ale.  Pilsner, Vienna, a bit of Copper Malt, all Liberty hops, S-04.  It looks darker in the picture.  In person it looks very "blonde ale". 

Looking good! Here’s a pub ale with S04, Maris Otter, Vienna, C60, and US Goldings from Hop Heaven. The picture doesn’t really show off the clarity. It’s a beauty.