Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 583337 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #495 on: September 27, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »
Is the vehicle there just to show off that awesome bumper sticker?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #496 on: September 27, 2015, 08:42:43 pm »
Air conditioned garage? Spoiled vehicle

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #497 on: September 28, 2015, 06:52:46 am »
Thanks Beerheads.  My attention to clarity has been a bit of a sickness since I started brewing.  I have gotten more into some dry-hopped pale ales lately which seems to cause some clarity issues but I will accept that.  For other styles... I like to see bubbles rising in the glass.  LOL.  Cheers.

Hey, Ken, long time no see. We miss you around the Northern Brewer forum. I was hoping you were still around and brewing. Your beers always look so delicious. Cheers and good to see you back!
By the way, since you are obsessed with clarity like you are, what do you do to clear your beers? Gelatin? Time and cold conditioning?
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #498 on: September 28, 2015, 08:21:55 am »
Thanks Beerheads.  My attention to clarity has been a bit of a sickness since I started brewing.  I have gotten more into some dry-hopped pale ales lately which seems to cause some clarity issues but I will accept that.  For other styles... I like to see bubbles rising in the glass.  LOL.  Cheers.

Hey, Ken, long time no see. We miss you around the Northern Brewer forum. I was hoping you were still around and brewing. Your beers always look so delicious. Cheers and good to see you back!
By the way, since you are obsessed with clarity like you are, what do you do to clear your beers? Gelatin? Time and cold conditioning?
Beersk:  Good to see you over here.  I was probably visiting too many forums at once and decided to cut it back a little.  The board I have been on lately has turned into a cesspool of bad behavior plus Denny has always told me that the best information was over here.  The brewers on my normal board are excellent but I thought I would look around here a little.  On the clarity... I think it could start with mash, sparge and kettle pH.  Kai's site shows some golden wort at a lower pH and a higher pH and the lower pH shows a nice, clear golden wort while the higher pH wort darkened and ended up with a pesky haze that will not go away.  So I keep my mash pH in the 5.2-5.3 range and make sure that my batch sparge is in the mid-5s.  That should create a good kettle pH in the low-to-mid 5s and these steps have helped with clarity and flavor as well.  I do use secondaries and add a gel solution every time I send a beer to secondary.  In the rare case that I send a beer from primary directly to a keg, I will get the keg cold, hit it with a gel solution and then carb it.  On gold beers where clarity is important to me, I will use a gel solution in the secondary and then hit it again when it's cold in the keg before I force-carb.  The first pint or two will be incredibly hazy but it will start to flow clear after that.  I'm also rarely in a rush to get beer to the taps so the beer does get the chance to drop bright most of the time.  If I make a dry-hopped beer, I'll want to get the keg to the taps while the hops are still fresh and those beers aren't going to be as clear anyway so they get fast-tracked.  Cheers gang.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 08:23:32 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #499 on: September 28, 2015, 09:21:11 am »
Is the vehicle there just to show off that awesome bumper sticker?

lol, no.  We use our garage as a garage.  That's where the cars are parked unless we're using it for other things (brew day, poker game, etc.).  That was just the angle that had the best light when it was sitting on the back of my truck.

Air conditioned garage? Spoiled vehicle

AC only gets turned on during summer poker games or when I'm bottling in the summer.  Not going to air condition the neighborhood.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #500 on: September 28, 2015, 02:27:04 pm »

Beersk:  Good to see you over here.  I was probably visiting too many forums at once and decided to cut it back a little.  The board I have been on lately has turned into a cesspool of bad behavior plus Denny has always told me that the best information was over here.  The brewers on my normal board are excellent but I thought I would look around here a little.  On the clarity... I think it could start with mash, sparge and kettle pH.  Kai's site shows some golden wort at a lower pH and a higher pH and the lower pH shows a nice, clear golden wort while the higher pH wort darkened and ended up with a pesky haze that will not go away.  So I keep my mash pH in the 5.2-5.3 range and make sure that my batch sparge is in the mid-5s.  That should create a good kettle pH in the low-to-mid 5s and these steps have helped with clarity and flavor as well.  I do use secondaries and add a gel solution every time I send a beer to secondary.  In the rare case that I send a beer from primary directly to a keg, I will get the keg cold, hit it with a gel solution and then carb it.  On gold beers where clarity is important to me, I will use a gel solution in the secondary and then hit it again when it's cold in the keg before I force-carb.  The first pint or two will be incredibly hazy but it will start to flow clear after that.  I'm also rarely in a rush to get beer to the taps so the beer does get the chance to drop bright most of the time.  If I make a dry-hopped beer, I'll want to get the keg to the taps while the hops are still fresh and those beers aren't going to be as clear anyway so they get fast-tracked.  Cheers gang.
I get it, it was probably Homebrewtalk. That's how Denny has described that place. Lots of great info over there, but also lots of whack sh*t going on too.
Thanks for the info on clarity. I change it up occasionally. I'm not a fan of using gelatin, but I use it here and there.
Jesse

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #501 on: October 04, 2015, 10:34:08 am »
My o'fest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #502 on: October 04, 2015, 10:38:22 am »
Awesome looking beer, man. Love the foam.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #503 on: October 04, 2015, 10:42:36 am »
Beautiful!!

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #504 on: October 04, 2015, 10:47:30 am »
Coming to you Jon in swap. Made with 833 and nice malt with dry finish.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #505 on: October 04, 2015, 10:52:59 am »

All Mosiac IPA racked on to 3lbs of frozen blueberries in secondary- bout as clear as I was gonna get it! Dry hopped with 2oz of mosaic and 3lbs of bleberries!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:56:23 am by TexasHumuluslupulushead »
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #506 on: October 04, 2015, 10:57:34 am »

All Mosiac IPA racked on to 3lbs of frozen blueberries in secondary- bout as clear as I was gonna get it! Dry hopped with 2oz of mosaic and 3lbs of bleberries!

Cool funky magenta / purple color IPA!

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #507 on: October 04, 2015, 11:16:42 am »
Super happy with the way it turned out- Wife absolutely loves it

did this exact recipe 2 years ago- right after a sour mashed berlinerweisse - didnt go so well... guess i didnt get all the lacto out of the primary...  Lesson learned.  Turned out this time though
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:19:13 am by TexasHumuluslupulushead »
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #508 on: October 07, 2015, 08:42:04 am »
Questionable lighting but this is Jamil's Vienna... delicious!

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #509 on: October 07, 2015, 04:40:07 pm »
A blonde ale (2-row, wheat, Mt. Hood for bittering, 3 ounces of Santiam for flavor and aroma, 1056)....

Ken from Chicago.