Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 584309 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4980 on: September 15, 2022, 08:32:42 pm »

My marzen. A lot clearer than it looks! Dimpled mugs and condensation don’t help
WHOO BOY!  That looks beautiful.
Thanks man. Really happy with it
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4981 on: September 16, 2022, 06:06:58 am »
My marzen. A lot clearer than it looks! Dimpled mugs and condensation don’t help
WHOO BOY!  That looks beautiful.
Thanks man. Really happy with it

Just in time for Oktoberfest, too. Zum Wohl!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4982 on: September 16, 2022, 06:48:05 pm »

Trunk shot of Czech your head. Czech pale lager with grapefruit. First time using s23 and got some flaws from the fermentation. Grapefruit zest and juice actually made it pretty tasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4983 on: September 16, 2022, 08:24:27 pm »

Trunk shot of Czech your head. Czech pale lager with grapefruit. First time using s23 and got some flaws from the fermentation. Grapefruit zest and juice actually made it pretty tasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What flaws did you get?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4984 on: September 17, 2022, 07:15:15 am »
I love the look of it.  Beautiful beer.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4985 on: September 17, 2022, 08:36:13 am »

That sounds delicious! How much/what kind of juice did you use? I've been using both white and pink grapefruit zest in a few recipes over the past year or so (IPAs as well as a batch of Pompelmocello), and I find that the flavor is more lemon/citrus than grapefruit. I'm thinking that the flavor I'm looking for is mainly in the juice.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4986 on: September 17, 2022, 08:50:34 am »

That sounds delicious! How much/what kind of juice did you use? I've been using both white and pink grapefruit zest in a few recipes over the past year or so (IPAs as well as a batch of Pompelmocello), and I find that the flavor is more lemon/citrus than grapefruit. I'm thinking that the flavor I'm looking for is mainly in the juice.
I used one large pink grapefruit but I didn’t measure how much zest or juice I got. The juice went directly in to the key and the zest was bagged then thrown in. The beer had kind a of flabby bitterness so the juice definitely helped with that. Definitely look forward to experimenting more

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4987 on: September 17, 2022, 08:58:30 am »

I used one large pink grapefruit but I didn’t measure how much zest or juice I got. The juice went directly in to the key and the zest was bagged then thrown in. The beer had kind a of flabby bitterness so the juice definitely helped with that. Definitely look forward to experimenting more
Thanks! That's very helpful. I'm looking forward to playing around with this more over the winter when white grapefruit becomes available in my area again.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4988 on: September 18, 2022, 11:32:19 am »
This is my birthday beer; an American Amber featuring Cryo Centennial and Amarillo.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #4989 on: September 18, 2022, 12:47:38 pm »
This is my birthday beer; an American Amber featuring Cryo Centennial and Amarillo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PbWTEYoN8o

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4990 on: September 22, 2022, 05:18:54 pm »
Oktoberfest Lager (with some chill haze ;)) made with 65% pilsner malt and 35% Munich 2 and Edelweiss hops and Omega German Lager 1.

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4991 on: September 22, 2022, 06:30:06 pm »
Oktoberfest Lager (with some chill haze ;)) made with 65% pilsner malt and 35% Munich 2 and Edelweiss hops and Omega German Lager 1.

Amazing! Surprised it’s that dark with that much pils. What’s the color rating on the Munich?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4992 on: September 22, 2022, 10:17:57 pm »

Amazing! Surprised it’s that dark with that much pils. What’s the color rating on the Munich?
This was Avangard Dark Munich so 15L.  Most Munich 2 malts are around 10L so that explains the color.  It came out really nice though... delicious flavor and aroma. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4993 on: September 23, 2022, 08:29:43 am »

This was Avangard Dark Munich so 15L.  Most Munich 2 malts are around 10L so that explains the color.  It came out really nice though... delicious flavor and aroma.
Ah makes sense. Yeah the munich II I use is about 9L. It's a beaut!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4994 on: September 23, 2022, 09:13:59 am »
Ah makes sense. Yeah the munich II I use is about 9L. It's a beaut!
This is the simple Oktoberfest recipe I have been using for a few years now.  I used to add things like aromatic or caramunich, etc. but someone on the FB German Brewers Group mentioned that this style can easily be 50/50 pils/Munich 2 and one hop addition with a suitable lager yeast.  I made it that way and slowly backed down the Munich 2 to 35%.  Super simple which seems to fall in line with German recipes.  They tend to have simple recipes combined with complicated processes.  :D
Ken from Chicago.