Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 578554 times)

Offline hopdropz

• 1st Kit
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5220 on: April 12, 2023, 05:54:04 pm »

Belgian Single. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder if beer thinks about me......

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5221 on: April 13, 2023, 07:19:27 am »
It just needs a cherry.  :D  Very nice-looking beer. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline hopdropz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5222 on: April 14, 2023, 09:27:48 am »
It just needs a cherry.  :D  Very nice-looking beer.
Appreciate it!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5223 on: April 14, 2023, 11:38:47 am »

Belgian Single. Cheers!

so good. saw it and was craving a belgian with a massive firm head.

i know belgian singles are maybe the most non-varied grist. but recipe/yeast or suggestions?

Offline hopdropz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5224 on: April 14, 2023, 11:54:40 am »

Belgian Single. Cheers!

i know belgian singles are maybe the most non-varied grist. but recipe/yeast or suggestions?

Absolutely!

OG 1.050
IBU: 35
90 min boil

70% Pilsner (I did an even combo of Mecca Grade Gateway and Rahr Premium Pils)

15% Unmalted Wheat

15% Sucrose (or whatever sugar you want)

35 IBU’s of Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (hopdrops at 60, 20, and flameout)

Imperial B48 Triple Double

Water profile: CA: 59, Mg: 0, NA: 26, CL: 66, SO4: 101, HCO3: 0

Mash:
131 F for 10 min
147 F for 45 min
164 F for 20 min
170 F for 10 min

Chilled to 65 F pitched yeast and I let it free rise until finished. Took about 7 days. Bottle conditioned on the 7th day to 2.7 Volumes.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5225 on: April 14, 2023, 01:13:33 pm »

Belgian Single. Cheers!

Absolutely!

OG 1.050
IBU: 35
90 min boil

70% Pilsner (I did an even combo of Mecca Grade Gateway and Rahr Premium Pils)

15% Unmalted Wheat

15% Sucrose (or whatever sugar you want)

35 IBU’s of Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (hopdrops at 60, 20, and flameout)

Imperial B48 Triple Double

Water profile: CA: 59, Mg: 0, NA: 26, CL: 66, SO4: 101, HCO3: 0

Mash:
131 F for 10 min
147 F for 45 min
164 F for 20 min
170 F for 10 min

Chilled to 65 F pitched yeast and I let it free rise until finished. Took about 7 days. Bottle conditioned on the 7th day to 2.7 Volumes.

thank you, im definitely thinking the yeast itself and the unmalted (flaked? right?) wheat are factors i can replicate. too scared to risk a step mash again

Offline hopdropz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5226 on: April 14, 2023, 01:18:32 pm »
It was Rahr Unmalted Wheat, but you can use flaked. Hope your version turns out well.  Cheers!

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #5227 on: April 14, 2023, 10:50:09 pm »
Here's my latest set...

1. British Golden Ale dry hopped with citra. Had a gorgeous citra hop character the first 3 weeks, but it was also quite hazy then. By now, it's pouring clear but has lost much of that character. Still solid though.

2. Irish red ale made with MCI Irish Ale malt, light and dark crystal, and 300L light roasted barley. Going into this brew, I was expecting it to be the most boring of the four, but it's actually the most moreish, has a gorgeous biscuity malt character, and goes especially well with the slow smoked ribs you see behind it in the pic!

3. Scottish light / 60 shilling. Super smooth and with a surprisingly chewy body for a 3.6% abv beer. I know, technically that puts it more in the 70 shilling range, but since I brewed it as a 60 shilling (which tend to be the darkest of the Scottish ales), and just so happened to get better than expected extraction efficiency, I'm gonna call it a 60 shilling. 60 or 70, it's not watery at all and drinks like a much larger, more substantial beer than it is.

4. Dry Irish stout. Turned out surprisingly good for a brew day in which almost everything went wrong. Plenty dry and roasty toasty with a dry bitter aftertaste. This one is interesting, because the flavor seems to change quite a bit from week to week. A lot of the roast particulates must have dropped out by week 2 because then it tasted less roasty and more fruity-estery. By week 4 it's less fruity but more bitter and dry. Good overall, but I'm definitely going to have to rebrew this one day and serve it on nitro!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 11:23:29 pm by Hella Hazy »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5228 on: April 15, 2023, 09:19:56 am »

Dry Irish Stout

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5229 on: April 15, 2023, 04:59:53 pm »

I have finally brewed the perfect (for me) kölsch! I've been chasing this style for a few years, and settled on a recipe that hits all of my favorite points for the style. 95% pilsner malt, 5% Munich I malt, 24 IBU with Edelweiss hop blend at 30 and 5 minutes. I used the Lallemand Köln dry yeast strain on this, and it's really great. I've tried that variety a few times, and it has a nice pear aroma and a quick flocculation once cold conditioned.

Details at the blog: https://andybrews.com/2023/04/15/snowdrop-kolsch/
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5230 on: April 16, 2023, 10:30:32 am »
Looks and sounds delicious.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5231 on: April 17, 2023, 07:20:25 am »
It really does.  I'll be honest, as a German beer fan and brewer... I don't make kolsch very much.  Is the 95/5 pilsner malt/munich 1 traditional?  I have made the style with 2565 and I was happy with those but I guess I eventually said that if I'm going to make a gold German beer it's going to be pilsner, dort or helles so kolsch gets pushed back to the end of the line.  I should try this.  Great looking beer.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5232 on: April 17, 2023, 07:52:23 am »
It really does.  I'll be honest, as a German beer fan and brewer... I don't make kolsch very much.  Is the 95/5 pilsner malt/munich 1 traditional?  I have made the style with 2565 and I was happy with those but I guess I eventually said that if I'm going to make a gold German beer it's going to be pilsner, dort or helles so kolsch gets pushed back to the end of the line.  I should try this.  Great looking beer.

Thanks! And it tastes great on a warm spring afternoon...
I'm not sure if the use of Munich is 100% traditional, but it gives a malt profile I like. I've seen Vienna more commonly in recipes that are out there, although Munich is in a decent number too. A 5 to 10 percent fraction of the overall grain bill is pretty typical.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5233 on: April 17, 2023, 08:21:15 am »

I have finally brewed the perfect (for me) kölsch! I've been chasing this style for a few years, and settled on a recipe that hits all of my favorite points for the style. 95% pilsner malt, 5% Munich I malt, 24 IBU with Edelweiss hop blend at 30 and 5 minutes. I used the Lallemand Köln dry yeast strain on this, and it's really great. I've tried that variety a few times, and it has a nice pear aroma and a quick flocculation once cold conditioned.

Details at the blog: https://andybrews.com/2023/04/15/snowdrop-kolsch/
Awesome! That is so similar to my recipe except for the hop schedule. Mine just gets a FWH of Mittelfruh and Magnum.  I love that yeast as well. I use all the time on all sorts of stuff.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5234 on: April 17, 2023, 08:51:14 am »

Thanks! And it tastes great on a warm spring afternoon...
I'm not sure if the use of Munich is 100% traditional, but it gives a malt profile I like. I've seen Vienna more commonly in recipes that are out there, although Munich is in a decent number too. A 5 to 10 percent fraction of the overall grain bill is pretty typical.

ive made two 95% plus vienna beers and it gives a very distinctive taste. its like dough, heavy bread with tiny notes of acetic acid (i know thats crazy but ive gotten it in two beers now and no its not sour) and a very strong flavour presence. i hate it when people try to conflate vienna and munich. im talking about weyermann btw and my personal preference is for vienna making a more complex and more pleasant beer. ive used it in smaller amounts in many other beers. it also dries out really well i find while munich varies on that.