Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 568710 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5415 on: November 21, 2023, 07:53:27 am »
When I go to the page on my iPad, the presentation download is to the right but the video (and audio) is in the center of the page.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 07:57:01 am by BrewBama »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5416 on: November 21, 2023, 08:20:13 am »
When I go to the page on my iPad, the presentation download is to the right but the video (and audio) is in the center of the page.

That's very interesting.  All I have is a white area below the bullet point "Why Charlie Loves Beer Foam".  If I scroll down, I get to "About the Speakers".  The video is not showing up, and this is true on both my iPad and PC.  I'm unworthy.   :-[

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5417 on: November 21, 2023, 09:17:44 am »
Seems the problem was in my "Cookie Settings".  I had it set to "Strictly Necessary Cookies" and that's it.  Everything else I blocked.

Once I set it to "Allow All" and refreshed the page, the video showed up.   ::)

Futzing with it a bit more, the key setting is to turn on the "Targeting Cookies".  Apparently, YouTube needs to know that I can't get consistent foam on my beers.   ;D

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5418 on: November 23, 2023, 09:06:29 am »
Festbier, based on a recipe from Gordon Strong.

The flavor is amazing, and it's an incredibly drinkable beer, but I'm pretty disappointed with the head/head retention. Ah well...will probably try some different malt combos next time around.

Details: https://andybrews.com/2023/11/19/oktoberfest-2023/

im not a person very concerned with head retention, though i do like it and know certain beer styles i can expect it in.

ive had the thought for a while though, of using say 1-2% flaked barley in a pilsner simply for head purposes?

i dont think it would cause haze at that rate, and i think a major thing holding people back in terms of lager/german beer styles is totally pointless "reinheitsgebot" (this was NOT widely practiced historically and is incredibly overemphasized) which is something that has nothing to do with making better beer for homebrewers. im adding cane sugar on purpose to at least one of the lagers im brewing, and almost added candi syrup as well.

Foam formation and retention is very much related to yeast health and fermentation. Issues in those likely won't be corrected by adding more protein. https://web.archive.org/web/20090809234712/ttp://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

Thanks for the links! Most of my beers have no issue, so I'm not too worried overall...it could be a yeast issue in this case; I pitched 2 packages of Novalager at 50 degrees...maybe should have done 3 for something at 1.056 gravity?
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5419 on: November 23, 2023, 03:31:39 pm »
Festbier, based on a recipe from Gordon Strong.

The flavor is amazing, and it's an incredibly drinkable beer, but I'm pretty disappointed with the head/head retention. Ah well...will probably try some different malt combos next time around.

Details: https://andybrews.com/2023/11/19/oktoberfest-2023/

im not a person very concerned with head retention, though i do like it and know certain beer styles i can expect it in.

ive had the thought for a while though, of using say 1-2% flaked barley in a pilsner simply for head purposes?

i dont think it would cause haze at that rate, and i think a major thing holding people back in terms of lager/german beer styles is totally pointless "reinheitsgebot" (this was NOT widely practiced historically and is incredibly overemphasized) which is something that has nothing to do with making better beer for homebrewers. im adding cane sugar on purpose to at least one of the lagers im brewing, and almost added candi syrup as well.

Foam formation and retention is very much related to yeast health and fermentation. Issues in those likely won't be corrected by adding more protein. https://web.archive.org/web/20090809234712/ttp://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

Thanks for the links! Most of my beers have no issue, so I'm not too worried overall...it could be a yeast issue in this case; I pitched 2 packages of Novalager at 50 degrees...maybe should have done 3 for something at 1.056 gravity?

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/brewers-corner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5420 on: November 24, 2023, 09:38:57 am »
A barleywine for Thanksgiving...brewed back in January, waiting for Thanksgiving to sample.

Details here: https://andybrews.com/2023/11/24/thanksgiving-transatlantic-barleywine/

Online ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5421 on: November 24, 2023, 10:35:25 am »
A barleywine for Thanksgiving...brewed back in January, waiting for Thanksgiving to sample.

Details here: https://andybrews.com/2023/11/24/thanksgiving-transatlantic-barleywine/
Wait, you boiled it up to 1.105 FG from 1.058??  so you boiled off almost half the volume in 2 hours?  I'm just trying to see if I didn't understand something in there. 

Anything you'd change/tweak next time if you do this recipe again?

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5422 on: November 24, 2023, 02:22:32 pm »
Wait, you boiled it up to 1.105 FG from 1.058??  so you boiled off almost half the volume in 2 hours?  I'm just trying to see if I didn't understand something in there. 

I realized I didn't include my actual starting gravity in the post -- this is now updated. I got the beer to 1.093, not the 1.105 planned for in the recipe. The 1.058 was also before adding 0.75 lb brown sugar. I boiled quite vigorously, and the surface:volume ratio with a ~3 gallon batch is also in favor of upping things via boiling. Either way, I still fell 0.008 short, but for a beer at this kind of gravity I'm not too worried!

For tweaking, I'd probably age longer, and age it cold for longer. The beer was pretty decent, but I think another year or two of conditioning would help with clarity and the prominent alcohol in the aroma (oddly, I don't taste it at all). If/when I brew this again, I'll probably bottle a portion and sample over time.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5423 on: November 24, 2023, 04:52:13 pm »

I realized I didn't include my actual starting gravity in the post -- this is now updated. I got the beer to 1.093, not the 1.105 planned for in the recipe. The 1.058 was also before adding 0.75 lb brown sugar. I boiled quite vigorously, and the surface:volume ratio with a ~3 gallon batch is also in favor of upping things via boiling. Either way, I still fell 0.008 short, but for a beer at this kind of gravity I'm not too worried!

For tweaking, I'd probably age longer, and age it cold for longer. The beer was pretty decent, but I think another year or two of conditioning would help with clarity and the prominent alcohol in the aroma (oddly, I don't taste it at all). If/when I brew this again, I'll probably bottle a portion and sample over time.

im a novice compared to a lot of people here, but ive tried to do a bunch of high gravity beers over the past 3 years, and i've definitely learned:

-ferment much cooler than the recommended temp
-it can be a real challenge hitting the gravity you intend to hit. i always max out my grain as much as possible, and even try to keep it grains with higher PPG, ie. minimizing non-base malts just to cram in more fermentables. i always plan on using extract and/or sugar too.
-i use dry yeast since it doesnt need additional oxygenation, or you can provide pure o2 if you can. bry97 is my go-to tbh, good characteristics, flavour and not expensive.
-aim slightly more bitter than you intend, it will mellow and you'll need to give it time. obviously a lot of people here know but i find the aging of big beers really goes up and down in terms of characteristics, ie. i find them super fun and vibrant early on sometimes, then a weird muddled period before they come out again as actually good, but different

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #5424 on: November 24, 2023, 06:01:12 pm »
Better late than never, but here are pics of the set of lagers I brewed for Oktoberfest this year:

Munich helles, much more clear than the pic suggests, probably my most brilliant beer to date! I used the Augustiner yeast (Imperial Harvest L17) and it turned out FANTASTIC! SUPER bready, probably my favorite of the bunch. I could drink liters of this - sadly, the keg kicked a while back  :'(

Rauchbier - not as much smoke character as I'd like (for me anything short of the gold standard, Schlenkerla, is substandard). However, it isn't a bad beer by any means. Malty and delish.

Munich dunkel, a really enjoyable, uber malty pint. I went to the trouble of decocting it for funsies (/s), and it certainly didn't hurt anything, although perhaps it turned out a touch darker than I would've liked. Used the Ayinger yeast (WLP833) for this one.

Schwarzbier, probably my second favorite of the bunch, although the dunkel is pretty close. Subtle roastiness & chocolatey character, yet crisp. Used the Yeast Bay Franconian dark lager (WLP4030) for this one, definitely pleased with the results!

A flight of all 4, what a great set! Me & the fam have been enjoying some good homebrews this fall! German lagers are the best!  ;D

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 06:20:03 pm by BeerSeq »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5425 on: November 24, 2023, 07:12:09 pm »
Better late than never, but here are pics of the set of lagers I brewed for Oktoberfest this year:

Munich helles, much more clear than the pic suggests, probably my most brilliant beer to date! I used the Augustiner yeast (Imperial Harvest L17) and it turned out FANTASTIC! SUPER bready, probably my favorite of the bunch. I could drink liters of this - sadly, the keg kicked a while back  :'(

Rauchbier - not as much smoke character as I'd like (for me anything short of the gold standard, Schlenkerla, is substandard). However, it isn't a bad beer by any means. Malty and delish.

Munich dunkel, a really enjoyable, uber malty pint. I went to the trouble of decocting it for funsies (/s), and it certainly didn't hurt anything, although perhaps it turned out a touch darker than I would've liked. Used the Ayinger yeast (WLP833) for this one.

Schwarzbier, probably my second favorite of the bunch, although the dunkel is pretty close. Subtle roastiness & chocolatey character, yet crisp. Used the Yeast Bay Franconian dark lager (WLP4030) for this one, definitely pleased with the results!

A flight of all 4, what a great set! Me & the fam have been enjoying some good homebrews this fall! German lagers are the best!  ;D

wow thats a lot of lager. nice

Online ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5426 on: November 24, 2023, 08:15:58 pm »

Nice!!  (And coincidentally, 3 of those styles you did are exactly the 3 batches that I plan to brew next too.)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5427 on: November 25, 2023, 02:33:55 pm »
A gold lager I made recently.  80/20 Avangard Pils, Munich 1, Mt. Hood hops early and late to about 25 IBUs and 2112 West Coast Lager yeast.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 01:35:40 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BeerSeq

• Cellarman
« Reply #5428 on: November 26, 2023, 06:39:18 pm »
Also made a roggenbier that I'm currently enjoying with Thanksgiving leftovers. Goes well with smoked turkey, yum!

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #5429 on: November 30, 2023, 06:12:24 am »

Never to late for a great lineup like that! Delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain