Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 604191 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #5580 on: May 10, 2024, 05:59:06 pm »
A different blonde ale that I just put on tap last night.  Pilsner, Vienna, Flaked Corn, Mandarina Bavaria early and late and 1056.  I'm surprised at how pale it is and how clear it is right out of the chute.  Cheers Beerheads. 

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5581 on: May 10, 2024, 06:39:10 pm »
A different blonde ale that I just put on tap last night.  Pilsner, Vienna, Flaked Corn, Mandarina Bavaria early and late and 1056.  I'm surprised at how pale it is and how clear it is right out of the chute.  Cheers Beerheads. 

Sounds just as good as it looks! I just ordered 10 lbs of flaked corn to incorporate into some pale beers. (Also have an unopened bag of Weyermann Barke Vienna and Barke Pils). Cheers!
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5582 on: May 11, 2024, 08:29:00 am »

Sounds just as good as it looks! I just ordered 10 lbs of flaked corn to incorporate into some pale beers. (Also have an unopened bag of Weyermann Barke Vienna and Barke Pils). Cheers!
Getting to be that time of year! My next brew will be either a lager or cream ale with that combination of malts (Pils, Vienna, Flaked Corn), too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5583 on: May 11, 2024, 08:30:03 am »

This is the best weissbier I have made yet! The style has proven somewhat elusive for me in the past, and I invested a bit of time into research on this batch. ~62% red wheat malt, 38% pilsner malt, with 20 minute ferulic acid rest at the start of the mash. I used Munich Classic, and fermented at 67 degrees. I hadn't done a ferulic acid rest on past versions, and I also fermented a touch cooler previously. All of the little adjustments paid off, because the end result is (to me) exactly what I hoped for! The yeast character is really nice, so the extra mash care and fermentation temperature adjustments were worth it. A full write-up is on my website.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5584 on: May 11, 2024, 09:04:17 am »

This is the best weissbier I have made yet! The style has proven somewhat elusive for me in the past, and I invested a bit of time into research on this batch. ~62% red wheat malt, 38% pilsner malt, with 20 minute ferulic acid rest at the start of the mash. I used Munich Classic, and fermented at 67 degrees. I hadn't done a ferulic acid rest on past versions, and I also fermented a touch cooler previously. All of the little adjustments paid off, because the end result is (to me) exactly what I hoped for! The yeast character is really nice, so the extra mash care and fermentation temperature adjustments were worth it. A full write-up is on my website.
Drooling!!
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5585 on: May 11, 2024, 09:08:29 am »

I know some brewers who are all about Hefeweizen and they mentioned their frustration about getting it just right.  I think they finally got it because I tasted a few of their efforts (this is NOT my style) and it seemed right on.  I remember them saying 3068 was their yeast of choice.  Yours looks nice with that big head of foam on it.  The Pope would be proud!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5586 on: May 11, 2024, 09:39:03 am »

I know some brewers who are all about Hefeweizen and they mentioned their frustration about getting it just right.  I think they finally got it because I tasted a few of their efforts (this is NOT my style) and it seemed right on.  I remember them saying 3068 was their yeast of choice.  Yours looks nice with that big head of foam on it.  The Pope would be proud!  :D

On Experimental Brewing #197 we share tips from Wyeast about about hefe recipe formulation and using 3068
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5587 on: May 11, 2024, 09:52:01 am »

really good, i do read your recipes+results pages, and i appreciate all the data points. it sounds amazing, ive always wondered about the OG/FG of weiss biers though, because to hit those ~5.4 to 5.6ABV end results you can do it by:
1. having a high OG ie. 1.055 and getting ~75% attenuation and ending at say 1.014 to hit 5.5% ABV
2. lower OG 1.049 and getting 85% attenuation ending at 1.007 to hit 5.5%ABV

i just always wondered what the more recommended idea was - my perception always was that weissbeers started at a higher gravity than say a lager

ok, well im answering my question myself in real-time. schneider weisse has a 12.8 plato, which translates to 1.052, ending at 5.4% ABV

so schneider weisse (not exactly a gold standard, but in a lot of ways lol actually yes it is - it's simply that i googled the other big names and they didnt indicate plato) is

1.052 OG
1.011 FG
78% attenuation as a reference point.

i just recall struggling with hitting both an intended OG and FG with wheat beers especially the few weisse beers ive done

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5588 on: May 11, 2024, 09:52:01 am »
On Experimental Brewing #197 we share tips from Wyeast about about hefe recipe formulation and using 3068
I was at a homebrew outing with a bunch of buds and I brought a beer-drinking, non-brewer with me.  One of the hefe brewers came up from behind me and held a bomber of hefe in front of my face.  Without hesitation my friend grabbed it and started chugging from it.  He took it away from his face, grimaced and just said, "OMG, bananas!!??".  :D  Twenty guys howling with laughter including me. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5589 on: May 11, 2024, 12:04:52 pm »
I was at a homebrew outing with a bunch of buds and I brought a beer-drinking, non-brewer with me.  One of the hefe brewers came up from behind me and held a bomber of hefe in front of my face.  Without hesitation my friend grabbed it and started chugging from it.  He took it away from his face, grimaced and just said, "OMG, bananas!!??".  :D  Twenty guys howling with laughter including me.

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #5590 on: May 11, 2024, 03:23:58 pm »

really good, i do read your recipes+results pages, and i appreciate all the data points. it sounds amazing, ive always wondered about the OG/FG of weiss biers though, because to hit those ~5.4 to 5.6ABV end results you can do it by:
1. having a high OG ie. 1.055 and getting ~75% attenuation and ending at say 1.014 to hit 5.5% ABV
2. lower OG 1.049 and getting 85% attenuation ending at 1.007 to hit 5.5%ABV

i just always wondered what the more recommended idea was - my perception always was that weissbeers started at a higher gravity than say a lager

ok, well im answering my question myself in real-time. schneider weisse has a 12.8 plato, which translates to 1.052, ending at 5.4% ABV

so schneider weisse (not exactly a gold standard, but in a lot of ways lol actually yes it is - it's simply that i googled the other big names and they didnt indicate plato) is

1.052 OG
1.011 FG
78% attenuation as a reference point.

i just recall struggling with hitting both an intended OG and FG with wheat beers especially the few weisse beers ive done

Thank you for the kind words! Yes, the one area where I could potentially improve is on attenuation. For my system, I have found a longer rest in the 140s is just the ticket. My apparent attenuation on this batch was right at 70% (with idealized estimates of 76 to 83% from LalBrew). So, next time I might rest at 145 for 75 minutes or so (instead of 45). FWIW, I was quite happy with a sub-4.5% abv, because with a lower starting gravity of 1.049 it didn't turn out too watery (or too "thick") to my perception. Most of the stuff I've got in the queue is under 5%...I'm back into "session beer" mode.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5591 on: May 18, 2024, 02:40:02 pm »
American Wheat.  50% Pilsner, 47.5% White Wheat, 2.5% Copper Malt, 24 IBUs of Perle from the start of the boil.  1056.  Refreshing.  Drop a lemon into it if you like.  Also a good reminder than even when wort goes into the fermenter cloudy (this one did for no apparent reason), it can still be clear.

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #5592 on: May 19, 2024, 02:43:00 pm »
Switched to my Northern Swan Neck and sparkler to serve my bitter.   The difference is so pronounced.  Hard to tell it is the same beer

Been slacking off yes this are the same two beers I have had on since March!   No off flavors or spoilage when using a cask breather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5593 on: May 19, 2024, 06:04:47 pm »
Switched to my Northern Swan Neck and sparkler to serve my bitter.   The difference is so pronounced.  Hard to tell it is the same beer

Been slacking off yes this are the same two beers I have had on since March!   No off flavors or spoilage when using a cask breather!

im way less experienced with kegging/cask tap serving than the majority of homebrewers, but it looks lovely. i love refurbishing old things and using them, my two main bikes are both older than me and dont use a shimano gear system. theyre unique.

difference keeps the spark of "oh, and how else could we do this?" alive

Offline HEUBrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #5594 on: May 23, 2024, 05:14:54 pm »

Cask/keg conditioned beer is not cloudy.   Granted this did sit a while as I lost a taste for beer for about a month.  WYeast 1969.  Or is it 2968?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk