Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 585416 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #720 on: December 15, 2015, 11:34:26 pm »
Oh you guys are drinking tonight too? :)

A saison dosed with dregs from a 5 year vertical of Boulevard's Saison-Brett, our "KCBM Board Brew" of 2015. :)  What a great brew day that was.
I love your custom glassware, Amanda!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #721 on: December 16, 2015, 12:26:22 am »
The protein rested, Hochkurz stepped, pre-boil acidified, high krausen pitched, Marshall/Kai/Narziss fermented Helles Exportbier.
This and a similar Munich Helles got shipped today to the 3 Wisemen for feedback. Looking forward to that.

Jim, what was your procedure for the high krausen pitch? Fresh vial into 1qt starter, shaken to hell and back, and pitched the next day at below 50F? I'm a'scurrd to try that method with a laaaaaguh.
Very nice looking beer, by the way. How do you feel it stacks up against what you recall having German beers on tap (if you've had them, that is)?
I can my starter wort, so I always have it ready. On the night before lager day I place the jar/s of canned wort in my fermentation chamber to get them to 52F. Morning of brew day I make my starters, 2 1L per batch with lagers. They are oxygenated not shaken not stirred. In 12 hours they are well into log phase and resching high krausen. The whole shebang goes in, yup 2 liters! No concern

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #722 on: December 16, 2015, 05:17:54 am »

I can my starter wort, so I always have it ready. On the night before lager day I place the jar/s of canned wort in my fermentation chamber to get them to 52F. Morning of brew day I make my starters, 2 1L per batch with lagers. They are oxygenated not shaken not stirred. In 12 hours they are well into log phase and resching high krausen. The whole shebang goes in, yup 2 liters! No concern
[/quote]

I'm moving to this process.  I'm going to start pitching my whole starter at HK.  I feel that I've been letting my pitches go too long and I've seen improvement in my beers since changing to this. 
Jeff B

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #723 on: December 16, 2015, 05:41:06 am »

I'm moving to this process.  I'm going to start pitching my whole starter at HK.  I feel that I've been letting my pitches go too long and I've seen improvement in my beers since changing to this.
[/quote]
I use one 1200ml for ales, two 1000ml for lagers. I haven't tried just one for lagers yet. I imagine it would work but Im having great sucess so why mess with it? My ale starters take 8hrs at room temp, the lager starters take 12 at 52ยบ.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #724 on: December 16, 2015, 06:29:38 am »
Thanks, Jim. I'm still a bit nervous to try that with lagers and that's what I mostly brew. It's hard to change up a process when you like the results. All I do is step up starters for the first pitch from a new crop, then subsequent generations are repitches from slurry.
Jesse

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #725 on: December 16, 2015, 07:17:27 am »
Thanks, Jim. I'm still a bit nervous to try that with lagers and that's what I mostly brew. It's hard to change up a process when you like the results. All I do is step up starters for the first pitch from a new crop, then subsequent generations are repitches from slurry.
I had my doubts and flavor carryover concerns, but I wouldn't do it any other way now. In fact if I had slurry to pitch from I would still only use a 100ml of thin slurry and do a high krausen starter.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #726 on: December 16, 2015, 08:45:45 am »
That's the great thing about this hobby. We can do it many ways and still create great beer.
Jesse

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #727 on: December 16, 2015, 03:24:35 pm »
My helles. Only 5 days in keg at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:30:12 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #728 on: December 16, 2015, 03:36:22 pm »
Looks great. What's your impression so far, in general and dropping pH in kettle vs just mashing at low pH for your lagers ? Hoping to brew mine soon.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #729 on: December 16, 2015, 03:38:38 pm »
Looks great. What's your impression so far, in general and dropping pH in kettle vs just mashing at low pH for your lagers ? Hoping to brew mine soon.

so same as my pils, the mash 5.45-5.5 PH and drop to around 5.1 works well. this beer is just settling in, and my comments about water profile of yellow full a little different now. I still think i will go back to balanced, however its nice with the kolsch malt in there.

EDIT: FWIW, the kolsch malt isn't the silver bullet..just as likely to get there with vienna or even a little carahell (thats my next version)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:40:49 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #730 on: December 16, 2015, 03:41:12 pm »

so same as my pils, the mash 5.45-5.5 PH and drop to around 5.1 works well. this beer is just settling in, and my comments about water profile of yellow full a little different now. I still think i will go back to balanced, however its nice with the kolsch malt in there.

Cool. Sounds good. I've got some kolsch malt now, so gonna do a kolsch and a helles.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #731 on: December 16, 2015, 04:07:18 pm »
Ken - also, did you lower with lactic? If so, any flavor impact? I was debating using phosphoric to be safe.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #732 on: December 16, 2015, 04:19:24 pm »

Ken - also, did you lower with lactic? If so, any flavor impact? I was debating using phosphoric to be safe.

Pretty sure it was 3- 4ml lactic- no issues at less than .5ml per lb. grist.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #733 on: December 16, 2015, 04:22:56 pm »

I must've micalc'd. I calculated ~ 8 ml for 5 gals. I did see the .5ml limit. Better recheck my figures. Anyway, thanks !
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #734 on: December 16, 2015, 04:27:37 pm »

I must've micalc'd. I calculated ~ 8 ml for 5 gals. I did see the .5ml limit. Better recheck my figures. Anyway, thanks !

Don't have access right now- but just put salts into mash water to get my 5.4-5.5ph then lactic in kettle.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale