Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 584447 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #840 on: January 11, 2016, 07:48:26 pm »
Very nice, Ken. Prost!
Jesse

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #841 on: January 11, 2016, 07:53:58 pm »
It's the zum Uerige recipe.fwiw,done on the cold end of fermentation limits,wlp029 is really nice. No apparent pear at all. And for my first step, I'm digging how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #842 on: January 11, 2016, 08:23:24 pm »
Maybe I'll brew something similar with 2565. I'm going to brew a Kolsch, I decided, this weekend. It's too cold for 1318 I think with ambient in my house only at about 62-63F, would be pushing it. I don't know if this is the place to post a recipe, but would you mind PMing me the recipe?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 08:26:08 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #843 on: January 11, 2016, 09:10:05 pm »

This is a Barleywine that I brewed last February. It was tapped right after Thanksgiving. It's finally clearing up since its been chilled.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #844 on: January 12, 2016, 06:33:52 am »

This is a Barleywine that I brewed last February. It was tapped right after Thanksgiving. It's finally clearing up since its been chilled.

Looks awesome. I'm pretty sure that's good at a year old.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #845 on: January 12, 2016, 06:37:38 am »

Lookin' good! I just had a vertical tasting of my 4, 3, 2, and 1 year Barleywines at a club brew day. Most people liked the 4 year old version.
Dan Chisholm

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #846 on: January 12, 2016, 06:57:07 am »

Looks awesome. I'm pretty sure that's good at a year old.

It's decent. The previous year's was much better. This one finished pretty high and it is very sweet. Half pints are about the limit. It tastes good, but the drinkability is lacking. It's strange because the malt bill and yeast was exactly the same as the year before. The inly thing changed in the entire process was the hops. In fact, the temp controller malfunctioned the year before and it dropped to 49 degrees for anout 24 hours and still finished dryer lol.

I got the yeast rock n rollin in the background for this year's "aged" beer - RIS
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 06:58:40 am by fmader »
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #847 on: January 12, 2016, 07:19:49 am »

[/quote]
Lookin' good! I just had a vertical tasting of my 4, 3, 2, and 1 year Barleywines at a club brew day. Most people liked the 4 year old version.
[/quote]

I'm jealous! I want a 4 year old BW!
Frank

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #848 on: January 12, 2016, 03:49:12 pm »
A style I've never brewed.  A style I never buy really.  Looks good, I just had a 6 year old Denny BVIP.
Jeff B

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #849 on: January 12, 2016, 04:37:32 pm »
A style I've never brewed.  A style I never buy really.  Looks good, I just had a 6 year old Denny BVIP.

One of my favorite winter time beers.
Frank

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #850 on: January 13, 2016, 07:36:01 am »
I know some say they have issues with wlp029 clearing, but in less than a week actually of cold conditioning and gelatin as it carbed, looks pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If people are having problems with 029 clearing, they have other things going on.  029 clears out and leaves a beautifully bright beer every time I've used it.  I really like that yeast in the right style.  Your beer made me want to lick the screen.
Jeff B

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #851 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37:08 am »
I know some say they have issues with wlp029 clearing, but in less than a week actually of cold conditioning and gelatin as it carbed, looks pretty good.

If people are having problems with 029 clearing, they have other things going on.  029 clears out and leaves a beautifully bright beer every time I've used it.  I really like that yeast in the right style.  Your beer made me want to lick the screen.

Yeah, 2565 is the slow one to clear for me. Worth the effort for kolsch though IMO.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #852 on: January 13, 2016, 07:38:57 am »

Yeah, 2565 is the slow one to clear for me. Worth the effort for kolsch though IMO.

is that the wyeast equivialnt? do you find it to be different the 029?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #853 on: January 13, 2016, 07:45:07 am »

is that the wyeast equivialnt? do you find it to be different the 029?

No, they're different strains, according to Jamil's/Kris England's chart. Definitely taste different.  029 (Fruh's strain according to the chart) is much cleaner and does clear easily, where 2565 (Weihenstephan strain, maybe Paffgen's strain per the chart) has the white grape/vinous quality that I love in kolsch but takes longer to clear.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:57:51 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #854 on: January 15, 2016, 05:12:49 pm »

Giga 021 Kolsch after gelatin. Results amaze me with this. Gelatine made me a believer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B