Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 357478 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #1005 on: February 13, 2016, 01:38:09 AM »
I've got the Dogfish head version of that glass, it's great. Think I spent $10 on it at a local beer shop.

Sooner or later I'm going to spring for the unbranded 6-pack on amazon.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1006 on: February 13, 2016, 01:45:37 AM »
Yes. These glasses are spectacular. I got a pair a couple years ago for Christmas. They're not fancily etched with SN on them though :P

Very nice looking beer, Jon!

Thanks, man. Don't know if they still have them now, but I bought two from the SN site a few years back. Like 'em.

The big question is... Are you digging these hops?!?
Frank

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #1007 on: February 13, 2016, 04:43:39 AM »
Too recent for carbonation even.  Just kegged one of my NHC entries.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #1008 on: February 13, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
I did a double take on the hop bags, at first I thought you had cabbage in the carboy. Too early this morning.

Those Spiegelau IPA glasses were dirt cheap at a Spiegelau outlet store in Niederbayern. Mrs. R bought a set of really nice crystal red wine glasses by Nachtmann - the high end Spiegelau brand name - for cheap. Just had to lug them home on the plane.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1009 on: February 13, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »
Those are some cool looking beer glasses but they would not last a month in the euge household. I've always wondered why these unstable top-heavy glasses are so popular. I've broken almost all of my specialty glassware (while sober if you can believe that) without much effort at all!

Maybe they aren't meant to be set down or something like that. I've never figured it out...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1010 on: February 13, 2016, 02:07:32 PM »
Those are some cool looking beer glasses but they would not last a month in the euge household. I've always wondered why these unstable top-heavy glasses are so popular. I've broken almost all of my specialty glassware (while sober if you can believe that) without much effort at all!

Maybe they aren't meant to be set down or something like that. I've never figured it out...

Actually the weight is all in the base. The rest of the glass is very thin and light. They don't tip easily for me, but they could break pretty easily.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1011 on: February 13, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
But with beer in the glass? Just seems unstable to me, but then again I have no experience with this particular style of glass.  Hmmm. Must resist urge to try out new glassware....
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1012 on: February 13, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »
Never had one tip yet. You'd definitely want to hand wash though - they could break in a dishwasher if things were stacked close.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1013 on: February 13, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
They're actually more durable than you'd think. They're supposedly shatter proof crystal. They are very thin and very light. I've actually knocked one out of the cabinet and onto the counter (a couple feet) and it just bounced. It was like slow motion lol. My uncle puts his in the dishwasher with no issues, but I don't put mine in. They are tricky to get the bottomed cleaned, so I wash right away. I scrub the top by hand and with soapy water in it, cover the opening and give it a good shake. I love these glasses. I think that they're stronger than a regular glass pint. But I'm also more careful with them. I don't bring my fancy glasses out during a party.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #1014 on: February 13, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »
They're actually more durable than you'd think. They're supposedly shatter proof crystal. They are very thin and very light. I've actually knocked one out of the cabinet and onto the counter (a couple feet) and it just bounced. It was like slow motion lol. My uncle puts his in the dishwasher with no issues, but I don't put mine in. They are tricky to get the bottomed cleaned, so I wash right away. I scrub the top by hand and with soapy water in it, cover the opening and give it a good shake. I love these glasses. I think that they're stronger than a regular glass pint. But I'm also more careful with them. I don't bring my fancy glasses out during a party.

Cool, didn't know that. I don't break mine out for parties either.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #1015 on: February 13, 2016, 03:05:30 PM »
I did a double take on the hop bags, at first I thought you had cabbage in the carboy. Too early this morning.

You and me both.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1016 on: February 13, 2016, 03:23:58 PM »

Nice looking beer. Great cream-sickle head! Looking forward to hop review.

Edit: and your glass reminded me to order my set of 6 on Amazon.....on the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's nice. Great glasses, too. Really concentrates hop aromas.

Yes. These glasses are spectacular. I got a pair a couple years ago for Christmas. They're not fancily etched with SN on them though :P

Very nice looking beer, Jon!

Yeah I went with non branded lead free crystal set....nice price at $52

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUM2HQ0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I just ordered me a set. 
Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1017 on: February 13, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »

Actually the weight is all in the base. The rest of the glass is very thin and light. They don't tip easily for me, but they could break pretty easily.
I doubt I'll have any trouble with them breaking, seeing my hand never leaves the glass. I must have some type of drinking disorder.  Now to re-brew IPA for my newly purchased glassware.   
Jeff B

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #1018 on: February 13, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »
The hop bags contain coffee in this case.  :)

But with beer in the glass? Just seems unstable to me, but then again I have no experience with this particular style of glass.  Hmmm. Must resist urge to try out new glassware....

The majority of the weight is still at the bottom.  Even with a pint of beer in them, they're still bottom heavy.

And they are dishwasher safe, although the Reidel/Spiegelau rep that did the tasting where we got ours said that he didn't recommend using the dishwasher if you use some sort of anti-spotting rinse agent because there will be a film with an aroma left there.  I hand wash mine after use.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #1019 on: February 13, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »
The hop bags contain coffee in this case.  :)

The majority of the weight is still at the bottom.  Even with a pint of beer in them, they're still bottom heavy.

And they are dishwasher safe, although the Reidel/Spiegelau rep that did the tasting where we got ours said that he didn't recommend using the dishwasher if you use some sort of anti-spotting rinse agent because there will be a film with an aroma left there.  I hand wash mine after use.

man that looks super hop hazy...looks like a wit!  hows it taste?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: