Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 327946 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewer
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4185 on: February 28, 2021, 11:56:11 PM »
What's in that heather ale? Looks great

Thanks!  Heather ale is something I've had a weird obsession with for quite a number years.  I think I've made 6 or 7 different variations, but haven't hit exactly what I want yet.

There's a whole bunch of stuff in it.  I do use a small amount of hops, so it doesn't rely entirely on heather.  If you're interested in a full recipe, just let me know and I'll post it in the Recipes category.  But here's a short version.  Malts are Golden Promise, Vienna, Crystal 40, and Honey.  This particular batch also used tupelo honey as a fermentable and for back sweetening.  Hops were EKG and Fuggle, with heather tips (obviously), meadowsweet, and mugwort.

I like the base beer flavor of this batch, but I put a little too much heather in it.  I usually make different variations of tea with heather, meadowsweet, etc. to try to gauge amounts, but it doesn't always transfer perfectly to beer and an hour long boil.
That is awesome, when you said heather ale it peeked my interest. I recently finished a book on druidic orders from different time periods and one of their main jobs was brewing, particularly brewing with heather and other flowers among other spices and adjuncts. I would love for you to post the recipe if you don't mind.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4186 on: March 01, 2021, 12:46:47 AM »
Really enjoying this version of a Whitbread IPA. Quaffable.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

whats the deal with whitbread IPA? its an EKG focused  old school (very) IPA right?
The "what's the deal" part of this beer is that it is very rich, malty, and somewhat hoppy yet less than 4% abv. There is something downright perfect about it. Every time I pour a pint I want to play darts with an old friend.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4187 on: March 01, 2021, 12:51:49 AM »
Btw, I replied to the post I started here but am interested in the Heather ale and baseball aspects of the last few posts too. So sorry and carry on.
I like this picture of recent brew thread but sometimes I feel I am stepping on someone's story.
I don't really watch TV but one thing I do miss is baseball. Ironically,  it doesn't seem as important since the Red Sox won in 2004.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4188 on: March 01, 2021, 12:56:33 AM »

whats the deal with whitbread IPA? its an EKG focused  old school (very) IPA right?
Ron Pattinson posted this recipe a few years back when "Session IPA" was the IPA-of-the-week, with the point that the style was nothing new. The recipe is simple and (very) quaffable. For whatever reason it took on a life of its own in the homebrewing community and it became a staple for a lot of us. I know that I rarely brew someone else's recipe more than once, but I keep coming back to this one every year or so.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
My version only varies in that I use Valley Malt pale malt, I think. I have been really happy with how that works in English ales.

Offline Megary

• Brewer
« Reply #4189 on: March 01, 2021, 12:57:35 AM »

The "what's the deal" part of this beer is that it is very rich, malty, and somewhat hoppy yet less than 4% abv. There is something downright perfect about it. Every time I pour a pint I want to play darts with an old friend.

Your Whitbread IPA looks fantastic.  I can only hope mine comes out as tasty (I’m sure it won’t be as clear!). I’ll know next weekend. The sample I had at packaging was quite promising.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4190 on: March 01, 2021, 01:20:54 AM »

Your Whitbread IPA looks fantastic.  I can only hope mine comes out as tasty (I’m sure it won’t be as clear!). I’ll know next weekend. The sample I had at packaging was quite promising.
For clarity,  along with healthy fermentation, some time cold, and careful transfers I recommend biofine clear. I have been having good luck with it.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:48:26 AM by pete b »

Offline TXFlyGuy

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4191 on: March 02, 2021, 12:09:08 AM »
A Vienna Lager, with 100% Vienna Malt. And some said it could not be done!
Bluebonnet Brewoff 2021 Winner!

Munich Helles - 1st Place
Oktoberfest   - 1st Place
English Porter - 3rd Place

Offline tommymorris

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
« Reply #4192 on: March 02, 2021, 03:39:40 AM »

Ron Pattinson posted this recipe a few years back when "Session IPA" was the IPA-of-the-week, with the point that the style was nothing new. The recipe is simple and (very) quaffable. For whatever reason it took on a life of its own in the homebrewing community and it became a staple for a lot of us. I know that I rarely brew someone else's recipe more than once, but I keep coming back to this one every year or so.

My version only varies in that I use Valley Malt pale malt, I think. I have been really happy with how that works in English ales.

Do you use invert sugar or something as a substitute?

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4193 on: March 02, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »

I actually used a can of Lyle’s Golden Syrup.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4194 on: March 02, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »

Thanks. I am going to try making some invert.

Offline Megary

• Brewer
« Reply #4195 on: March 02, 2021, 02:35:51 PM »

I made "golden syrup" for my version of this.  I based it off of this pretty simple recipe:
https://www.daringgourmet.com/wprm_print/59372

I cut mine in half.  Only advice I can give is to use an enameled pot.  It made cleanup a breeze.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #4196 on: March 03, 2021, 02:01:55 AM »
What's in that heather ale? Looks great

Thanks!  Heather ale is something I've had a weird obsession with for quite a number years.  I think I've made 6 or 7 different variations, but haven't hit exactly what I want yet.

There's a whole bunch of stuff in it.  I do use a small amount of hops, so it doesn't rely entirely on heather.  If you're interested in a full recipe, just let me know and I'll post it in the Recipes category.  But here's a short version.  Malts are Golden Promise, Vienna, Crystal 40, and Honey.  This particular batch also used tupelo honey as a fermentable and for back sweetening.  Hops were EKG and Fuggle, with heather tips (obviously), meadowsweet, and mugwort.

I like the base beer flavor of this batch, but I put a little too much heather in it.  I usually make different variations of tea with heather, meadowsweet, etc. to try to gauge amounts, but it doesn't always transfer perfectly to beer and an hour long boil.
That is awesome, when you said heather ale it peeked my interest. I recently finished a book on druidic orders from different time periods and one of their main jobs was brewing, particularly brewing with heather and other flowers among other spices and adjuncts. I would love for you to post the recipe if you don't mind.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay my man.  The recipe has been posted.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4197 on: March 05, 2021, 11:01:29 PM »
Plastic Cup 2.0.  It's Friday.  We have turned over another winter month on the calendar.  It's bright and sunny and 45° here which means it's 80° in the greenhouse.  In the interest of mental health I pushed away from my desk at around 4pm today and went out and soaked up some sun, put some music on and had some American Blonde Ale.  Avangard Pale Malt and Swaen Lager Malt plus some copper malt, Nugget to bitter and then some late Santiam hops for a crisp finish and White Labs 01 for the yeast.  Happy Friday Beerheads.

Ken from Chicago

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4198 on: March 05, 2021, 11:17:11 PM »
Plastic Cup 2.0.  It's Friday.  We have turned over another winter month on the calendar.  It's bright and sunny and 45° here which means it's 80° in the greenhouse.  In the interest of mental health I pushed away from my desk at around 4pm today and went out and soaked up some sun, put some music on and had some American Blonde Ale.  Avangard Pale Malt and Swaen Lager Malt plus some copper malt, Nugget to bitter and then some late Santiam hops for a crisp finish and White Labs 01 for the yeast.  Happy Friday Beerheads.

Mental health is important. Cheers!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #4199 on: March 05, 2021, 11:43:40 PM »

I made "golden syrup" for my version of this.  I based it off of this pretty simple recipe:
https://www.daringgourmet.com/wprm_print/59372

I cut mine in half.  Only advice I can give is to use an enameled pot.  It made cleanup a breeze.
A friend of mine does the same Whitbread IPA recipe from the Shut Up About Barclay Perkins blog. I can attest that it is in fact a fantastic beer/recipe.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:45:14 PM by beersk »
Jesse