Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 334426 times)

Online tommymorris

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4200 on: March 05, 2021, 11:47:17 PM »
Really enjoying this version of a Whitbread IPA. Quaffable.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

whats the deal with whitbread IPA? its an EKG focused  old school (very) IPA right?
Ron Pattinson posted this recipe a few years back when "Session IPA" was the IPA-of-the-week, with the point that the style was nothing new. The recipe is simple and (very) quaffable. For whatever reason it took on a life of its own in the homebrewing community and it became a staple for a lot of us. I know that I rarely brew someone else's recipe more than once, but I keep coming back to this one every year or so.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
My version only varies in that I use Valley Malt pale malt, I think. I have been really happy with how that works in English ales.

Do you use invert sugar or something as a substitute?
I actually used a can of Lyle’s Golden Syrup.
Thanks. I am going to try making some invert.

I made "golden syrup" for my version of this.  I based it off of this pretty simple recipe:
https://www.daringgourmet.com/wprm_print/59372

I cut mine in half.  Only advice I can give is to use an enameled pot.  It made cleanup a breeze.
A friend of mine does the same Whitbread IPA recipe from the Shut Up About Barclay Perkins blog. I can attest that it is in fact a fantastic beer/recipe.
With some many people raving about it I am having trouble deciding if I should brew a 2.5 or 5 gallon batch.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4201 on: March 05, 2021, 11:57:00 PM »
It goes down real easy Tommy.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Megary

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4202 on: March 06, 2021, 12:53:58 AM »
I agree with pete b, this beer goes down very easy. Really enjoying this.

My first pour

Online tommymorris

« Reply #4203 on: March 06, 2021, 02:03:43 AM »
Scaled up!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4204 on: March 06, 2021, 02:05:23 AM »
Scaled up!
Atta boy! All that running will make you plenty thirsty enough.

Online tommymorris

« Reply #4205 on: March 06, 2021, 02:23:38 AM »
Scaled up!
Atta boy! All that running will make you plenty thirsty enough.
Gotta stay hydrated!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4206 on: March 14, 2021, 09:07:25 PM »
And the Lord declared. "Damn that's a fine looking glass of mixed berry mead at 12% ABV fermented with Lavlin 71B.
Somewhat ironically I was trying to get a pic simply of how perfectly clear the mead is which doesn't show, but it is. Good pics though I think.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4207 on: March 14, 2021, 09:20:53 PM »
Very nice, Pete.  Great pictures.  Careful with that stuff... you might be slow tomorrow.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4208 on: March 14, 2021, 09:50:53 PM »
Very nice, Pete.  Great pictures.  Careful with that stuff... you might be slow tomorrow. 
I know, I have to do a whole bunch of writing tomorrow to pitch some projects to my board of directors. Too late though... I will manage, always do.

Offline fredthecat

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4209 on: March 14, 2021, 10:10:54 PM »
weird question guys - do you day drink?

im not being judgemental, im just curious. maybe its only rarely a week, maybe you guys keep it to just one or a few. or its just your thing however you like to do it?

i sort of strictly keep my drinking until after my kids are in bed, simply because when i drink and still have any kind of work or chores to do it makes me tired and distracted easily and heavily inhibits me from getting the stuff i need to done.

a lot of my neighbours day drink, just sitting outside having a few beers in the afternoon. but for me once i start drinking im generally going to keep drinking until i go to sleep and won't be up for doing much else ie. making dinner/chores etc.

i know some odd schedules out there are like one small but strong drink first thign in the morning or mid-day.

anyone?

Online erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4210 on: March 14, 2021, 11:59:14 PM »
Regarding day drinking, unless it's a cookout on the weekend or something, then it's not for me. Alcoholism runs in my family and I'm pretty cautious of my consumption. For me, I either have a glass or beer or wine with dinner, or I have a beer after my son is in bed, all the chores are done, and I can sit down and enjoy it.

On topic, this one is half mine. I didn't brew a stout this year, but I bought a beer layering tool on clearance and wanted to try it out. I have the obligatory 6 pack of Guinness for this week, and it does look pretty cool on top of my Pils.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Oiscout

• Brewer
« Reply #4211 on: March 15, 2021, 12:16:44 AM »
I feel like when  everything is done that is supposed to be done for the day, you can enjoy that beer much more. Just my thought

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4212 on: March 15, 2021, 02:06:25 AM »
I feel like when  everything is done that is supposed to be done for the day, you can enjoy that beer much more. Just my thought
Pretty much.  My kids are older now... 25, 23, 21.  I have been self-employed for 30+ years and have always worked at home.  Because I am working directly above a spot where 20 gallons of beer is on tap at any given time, I generally try to have some guidelines.  I know some homebrewers who drink during weekdays.  I have occasionally pushed away from my desk at 3-4pm on a nice, sunny Friday afternoon and grabbed a beer.  I drink during the day on Saturday and/or Sunday.  I recently accepted a real job with one of my longtime customers.  The guys there occasionally call me at 4:30 or 5pm on a weekday for a conference call and start by saying, "Do you have a tall frosty beer in front of you?!?  We do!!"
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewer
« Reply #4213 on: March 15, 2021, 02:08:08 AM »
Pretty much.  My kids are older now... 25, 23, 21.  I have been self-employed for 30+ years and have always worked at home.  Because I am working directly above a spot where 20 gallons of beer is on tap at any given time, I generally try to have some guidelines.  I know some homebrewers who drink during weekdays.  I have occasionally pushed away from my desk at 3-4pm on a nice, sunny Friday afternoon and grabbed a beer.  I drink during the day on Saturday and/or Sunday.  I recently accepted a real job with one of my longtime customers.  The guys there occasionally call me at 4:30 or 5pm on a weekday for a conference call and start by saying, "Do you have a tall frosty beer in front of you?!?  We do!!"
Very nice!.

The best beer of the week is on Friday after I hang my tools up and commute home take my boots off and wash the work of the day off of me and pour a home brew!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4214 on: March 15, 2021, 12:29:04 PM »
Except for a handful times a year when we have guests over in nice weather for a get together outside that starts around lunchtime or an  occasional day trip I don’t day drink.
A couple times a week my wife and I go on a longish hike in the mid afternoon and bring one or two cans of beer each to drink in a scenic spot but that usually ends up being 3:30-4:00. Other than that I don’t drink every weekday and not until at least five and often on the weekend I will pour something around four unless I am working on large project that I just want to get done.