Author Topic: Pics of recent brews?  (Read 427786 times)

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4650 on: November 23, 2021, 06:44:48 pm »
Having a pint off the tap while bottling my stout figured I'd post another picture. This is my 1943 Bodds IP Clone. Goes down to easy.

I was at my local bottle shop and circled the beer area (both cold and room-temp) and couldn't find the Boddies.  I asked one of the crack staff and he winced and said he thought they were out and then called on his "radio" asking another person.  Yep, sold out.   :-\
Yeah, I can't find it anywhere in my area either. Wonder if they have halted production temporarily or something to that effect.

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4651 on: November 23, 2021, 06:48:11 pm »
The Cream of Manchester - despite others here dissing the recent iteration, I enjoy it and never had the earlier versions prior to 1990, let alone the original.
I haven't either; however, I'm going through old Boddington recipes that Ron's posted on his blog from the brewing records. I'm going to brew the 1971 version next.

I also didn't have an issue with the current version.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4652 on: November 24, 2021, 09:18:21 am »
The Cream of Manchester - despite others here dissing the recent iteration, I enjoy it and never had the earlier versions prior to 1990, let alone the original.
I haven't either; however, I'm going through old Boddington recipes that Ron's posted on his blog from the brewing records. I'm going to brew the 1971 version next.

I also didn't have an issue with the current version.
Can I ask you to post one of these recipes?  I'm curious about the yeast but also which hops and also how they're getting the color... I assume a smidge of British Crystal.  Thanks.  I love me some German and Czech lagers but English ales are a weakness too. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4653 on: November 24, 2021, 02:47:12 pm »
American Lite Lager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #4654 on: November 24, 2021, 03:05:58 pm »
American Lite Lager
Looks great and I have that same glass!  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HopDen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4655 on: November 24, 2021, 03:40:53 pm »
American Lite Lager
Looks great and I have that same glass!  Cheers.

Thanks Ken! I like these glasses too! Cheers.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pics of recent brews?
« Reply #4656 on: November 24, 2021, 05:25:29 pm »
My Thanksgiving Bourbon Barrel Porter. Thought I’d better give it a taste test. (It passed)

Bier bewusst genießen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:10:28 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4657 on: November 24, 2021, 06:30:41 pm »
Looks great!

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4658 on: November 27, 2021, 09:42:00 am »
Clone recipe of Ill-Tempered Gnome (from Craft Beer For the Homebrewer)--I followed the original recipe pretty closely, but had to make one or two minor substitutions based on ingredient availability. This tastes pretty darned good, with a nice malt base and a perfect somewhat resiny hop character. Just posted all of the details at my blog: https://andybrews.com/2021/11/27/ill-tempered-gnome-clone/

Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4659 on: November 27, 2021, 10:30:07 am »
Clone recipe of Ill-Tempered Gnome (from Craft Beer For the Homebrewer)--I followed the original recipe pretty closely, but had to make one or two minor substitutions based on ingredient availability. This tastes pretty darned good, with a nice malt base and a perfect somewhat resiny hop character. Just posted all of the details at my blog: https://andybrews.com/2021/11/27/ill-tempered-gnome-clone/

After years of screwing with the recipe trying to 'improve" it, Oakshire went back to the original recipe this year and the beer is simply stunning. I've got a keg on tap.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4660 on: November 27, 2021, 10:31:19 am »

That looks great.  I've been wanting to try that California Select malt.  How is it?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4661 on: November 27, 2021, 11:11:02 am »
After years of screwing with the recipe trying to 'improve" it, Oakshire went back to the original recipe this year and the beer is simply stunning. I've got a keg on tap.

Nice! Is the recipe in the book the original or "improved"?

I'm incredibly happy with how my own version of the beer turned out, even though I have no frame of reference for comparison. A friend who used to attend Oakshire events pretty regularly said I got it pretty close in their recollection.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4662 on: November 27, 2021, 11:12:59 am »
That looks great.  I've been wanting to try that California Select malt.  How is it?

Thanks! I like it...I live in California, so I get it in part because our local shop carries it, and partly because I like the concept of a local-ish malt. I don't know that the California Select is anything unusually spectacular relative to other good quality 2-rows, but I enjoy it enough to get it whenever it's in stock.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4663 on: November 27, 2021, 11:16:33 am »

Nice! Is the recipe in the book the original or "improved"?

I'm incredibly happy with how my own version of the beer turned out, even though I have no frame of reference for comparison. A friend who used to attend Oakshire events pretty regularly said I got it pretty close in their recollection.

It's the original recipe from Matt Van Wyk, now of Alesong.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #4664 on: November 27, 2021, 11:19:58 am »
It's the original recipe from Matt Van Wyk, now of Alesong.

Awesome, thanks! I do regret I couldn't get the Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee Malt in this batch...I will try to track it down for next time.