Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for automated brewery  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Looking for automated brewery
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 01:22:03 pm »
Look into a unitank with BIAB?  I think you can mash, boil, chill, ferment, dump yeast, carb, bright tank and serve all in one vessel....you still have brewing and cleaning..., but I could be wrong, as I haven’t looked that closely at those things.
There was another thread here recently where someone was considering that, it's called "BIAC." 

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehomebrewersassociation%2Eorg%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D33165%2E0&share_tid=33165&share_fid=40079&share_type=t

As I recall the conclusion was basically what I pointed out here:  you'd do better to have one, separate, wort production system and separate fermentation vessels and control, so you have a flexible process.  Why invest in a big, expensive system that limits you to brewing only a limited number of batches per year?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 01:23:10 pm »
Just thought I would link what I was referring to above -

https://brausupply.com/collections/single-vessel-systems

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 01:24:57 pm »
So Denny, what would you recommend for merlin? i think the Z probably the best option for his needs, i dont have much knowledge on all in one brew systems except for the mash and boil and the grainfather, but seeing he wants a beer machine rather then a brewing system i have no clue

Neither do I
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 01:26:19 pm »
Hello Everyone,
I brew a beer during couple of years and now almost ready to give up.
I'm looking for most automated and most all-in-one apparatus for all grain homebrewing. Ideally - put grain, push button, get beer.
It seems to me the Brewie is most advanced system. But this is actually only wort-maker.
Can somebody recommend something else?

I have a friend who has a Brewie.  He spends more time waiting for parts and repairing it than brewing with it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 01:26:34 pm »
Well, the website didn't go up on April 1st.   I think its serious, just ill-conceived.

Scooping 12 lbs. of spent grain out of a mesh bag with a ladle (sorry, grain extractor) seems ill conceived?

Anyway, what do you think about PBS-1101? Fareo Inc makes it.

Seriously though, I think you would be extremely disappointed if you purchased it.  If you are looking for something automated, there are better options out there (though I don't know of any off the shelf product that is fully automated from grain to glass).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline MerlinBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 01:26:38 pm »
Oxidation because there is apparently no way to separate trub before fermentation,  and because you will be bottling just as you would with a bucket.  Some day there will probably be a system that ferments, carbonates, and packages all in a closed system.   If it separated trub, you could have very fresh beer.

Yes it is temperature controlled.  But you then have to wait for a batch to be bottled before brewing the next, since it's all in one piece of equipment.   For a lot less money, you could get a system (automated or not) to produce your wort, and also multiple,  temperature controlled fermenters, or a temperature controlled fermentation chamber.
Wait a moment! Trub - you mean "the layer of sediment that appears at the bottom of the fermenter after yeast has completed the bulk of the fermentation"? (taken from Wiktionary). As I know, the modern yeasts don't require the secondary fermentation. I always implemented a single stage fermentation and always made a perfect beer. I tried once a two-stage fermentation, and didn't notice any difference.
About bottling. What I learned on their site, the beer is bottled after the primary (and single) fermenting is completed. For ales it's about one week or may be longer. Then I need to condition the beer in bottles or kegs, usually at room temp. So, likely the weekly batch is real.
Regarding the bottling. I don't know for sure, but I think that the apparatus will allow me to dispense the brewed and cooled beer for further fermenting in external fermenter, if needed. And immediately I can start new batch.

Offline MerlinBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 01:31:10 pm »
Hey Merlin, just curious why are ready to give up?

I really like home-made beer and want to have it in my cottage. But homebrewing as a process seems to me too boring.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 01:31:36 pm »
I guess in a way the Z is close becasue you can ferment in the keg you brew in.  But you still need to control fermentation temp and do something about packaging/serving.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 01:32:19 pm »
Oxidation because there is apparently no way to separate trub before fermentation,  and because you will be bottling just as you would with a bucket.  Some day there will probably be a system that ferments, carbonates, and packages all in a closed system.   If it separated trub, you could have very fresh beer.

Yes it is temperature controlled.  But you then have to wait for a batch to be bottled before brewing the next, since it's all in one piece of equipment.   For a lot less money, you could get a system (automated or not) to produce your wort, and also multiple,  temperature controlled fermenters, or a temperature controlled fermentation chamber.
Wait a moment! Trub - you mean "the layer of sediment that appears at the bottom of the fermenter after yeast has completed the bulk of the fermentation"? (taken from Wiktionary). As I know, the modern yeasts don't require the secondary fermentation. I always implemented a single stage fermentation and always made a perfect beer. I tried once a two-stage fermentation, and didn't notice any difference.
About bottling. What I learned on their site, the beer is bottled after the primary (and single) fermenting is completed. For ales it's about one week or may be longer. Then I need to condition the beer in bottles or kegs, usually at room temp. So, likely the weekly batch is real.
Regarding the bottling. I don't know for sure, but I think that the apparatus will allow me to dispense the brewed and cooled beer for further fermenting in external fermenter, if needed. And immediately I can start new batch.
Dont know about Wiktionary.  Trub is the material precipitated during the boil.  It contains large amounts of lipids.  These are major factors in oxidative staling, and since the system doesn't ferment and package in a closed manner, oxidation will be greatly accelerated.   If you're going to use this just for brewing and ferment separately (and I recommend fermenting in  a dedicated system,) then, as others mention, there are surely superior brewing systems available to you.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 01:32:39 pm »

I really like home-made beer and want to have it in my cottage. But homebrewing as a process seems to me too boring.

Too boring?  Not sure I understand.  What do find boring about it?  Maybe if we know that we can zero in on something that may fit your needs.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 01:37:16 pm »

how about getting a larger system so you dont have to brew often but still have beer, again just trying to help and if you do not like brewing beer larger batches will allow you not to brew often, or how about extract brewing you will have good beer and its almost like making a pot of soup in terms of process
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline MerlinBrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 01:40:56 pm »

Too boring?  Not sure I understand.  What do find boring about it?  Maybe if we know that we can zero in on something that may fit your needs.
Ok. Let me say in another words. I'm too busy and I'm too lazy. :)

Offline Robert

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 01:51:27 pm »
Denny, isn't one of the targets of the Z restaurants, who want to serve their own product, but without having a dedicated brewing staff devoting a lot of time and attention?   If I'm remembering right, that sounds a lot like the goal of the OP.  Does most of the work on brew day, you just run it into a fermenter,  pitch the yeast, and wait, right?

And how about that Brew Jacket or whatever it's called you've been using?  Might the combination do the trick?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:55:19 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2019, 01:54:11 pm »
I guess in a way the Z is close becasue you can ferment in the keg you brew in.  But you still need to control fermentation temp and do something about packaging/serving.

Pico Z for wort production into a Vessi for fermentation/carbonation/serving?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2019, 02:09:33 pm »
Denny, isn't one of the targets of the Z restaurants, who want to serve their own product, but without having a dedicated brewing staff devoting a lot of time and attention?   If I'm remembering right, that sounds a lot like the goal of the OP.  Does most of the work on brew day, you just run it into a fermenter,  pitch the yeast, and wait, right?

And how about that Brew Jacket or whatever it's called you've been using?  Might the combination do the trick?

Yep, correct on all counts.  A Z and a Brewjacket would be a perfect, fast, easy combination.

ETA:  Robert, that is a genius idea and I hadn't even thought of it.  Brewjacket sent me a drilled corny lid for the rod and I haven't used it yet.  Both that and the Z will be getting a trial run this week.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:48:56 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com