Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold crash suck back solution and carboy pressure test  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Slackjawls

• Cellarman
Cold crash suck back solution and carboy pressure test
« on: April 02, 2019, 08:14:59 pm »
To overcome the dreaded sanitizer suck back during cold crash ops. I inserted a length of 3/16 id beer line into the stopper and fit my carbonator cap to the other end of the beer line.  I connected my co2 line ball lock fitting to the carbonator cap and set my regulator to 1 lb.

I slowly brought the temperature down from a 68f  d rest to 34f over about a week with no issues. 

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Cold crash suck back solution and carboy pressure test
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 08:47:51 pm »
I'd be leery of doing it with a glass carboy, but looks like a great solution for a plastic fermenter. I use Speidels most of the time but don't have the space in my fermentation chamber to use the Brulosophy (Bruloon?) mylar balloon trick

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Slackjawls

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:08:47 pm »
Before I set the regulator to 1 lb and walked away, I figured I would purge the head space.  My regulator was set at 12 lbs.  for serving.  I pressed the side of the stopper to break the seal and allow gas to escape and opened the valve on the gas distributor.  No gas was escaping so I looked around for a closed valve somewhere.  Everything was open.  That's when I realized that hadn't really cracked the seal to create room for gas to escape.  I pulled the stopper out with a loud pop. 

So yeah, possibly dangerous with glass if you're not careful.  On the other hand my carboy was able to withstand 12 lbs of pressure.  I would never deliberately try that again but 1 or 2 lbs is safe for my set up

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 09:32:47 pm »
Holy s***snacks dude! 12 psi on a glass carboy?!?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium.376523/

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 05:29:23 am »
Threads abound recounting the horrors of pressure and carboys.  There was another one going here in the last week.

I'd be leery of doing it with a glass carboy, but looks like a great solution for a plastic fermenter. I use Speidels most of the time but don't have the space in my fermentation chamber to use the Brulosophy (Bruloon?) mylar balloon trick

If you put even enough pressure on a Speidel to initiate a closed transfer (1-2 psig) you can see it visibly balloon out, to the point where it rocks around because it no longer has a flat bottom to sit on.  Good illustration of the amount of force being put on any fermenter.

With a properly filled S-type airlock, suckback is impossible, although air will be drawn in.

If height in a chamber is a problem with the  Brulosophy balloon method, it seems the OP's idea of a length of tubing jammed in a stopper could allow a balloon to be placed where space allows.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 06:46:44 am »

If height in a chamber is a problem with the  Brulosophy balloon method, it seems the OP's idea of a length of tubing jammed in a stopper could allow a balloon to be placed where space allows.

Like this:

https://youtu.be/AIs1cQ0YwHM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 09:03:20 am »
That setup is a whole lot better than a mylar balloon. I have used the balloon approach, and all the ones I have gotten have a one-way valve that must be defeated to allow the CO2 to come back out, and the diameter of the neck is not a good match to any of the airlock hardware I have so it is hard to mount.

Edit: after looking at the comments on the manufacturer's web site, this appears to be flimsy and unreliable. Still a good idea, just not implemented well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:28:19 am by Richard »
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 09:30:10 am »
I have used the balloon approach, and all the ones I have gotten have a one-way valve that must be defeated to allow the CO2 to come back out, and the diameter of the neck is not a good match to any of the airlock hardware I have so it is hard to mount.

I've had luck (just did it the first time last week) cutting the valve off the balloon, taping the ballon to a tube, replacing the airlock at the end of fermentation with the ballooon-tube combo, and allowing the mylar balloon to fill before cooling. 

I would prefer being able to tape the ballon to the airlock.

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 10:15:53 am »
Get a cask breather. Repurpose it. Works great. You can also use it for closed transfers as well as its use for casks.
https://www.ukbrewing.com/Cask_Breather_p/40030.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 10:21:56 am »
Here is my set up for closed transfers. It is set up the same way for cold crashing without the keg. It is the round, white thing strapped on the CO2 tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk