Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No boil brewers  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
No boil brewers
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:48:32 am »
Due to circumstances beyond my control I find myself doing no-boil extract beer.
I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the two that I've done so far have turned out.
Anyone else?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: No boil brewers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:07:47 am »
Although I don't do it regularly, I have done it.  Worked fine for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 11:09:12 am »
I have only done if for sours and plan to do it for another sour this weekend.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:08:20 am »
No boil has always been an interesting concept to me.

...  (180* F is an easy temperature to hold with the induction cooktop that I have).

Do you have a temp probe in the wort connected to the cooktop or is it the display panel temp setting (without probe)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 10:43:24 am »
I'm planning a two gallon batch of stout later today. I put a pound of dark roasted grains (8ozs. roast barley, 4ozs. Blackprinz, and 4 ozs. caraffa II) to cold steep overnight.
1.5 lbs. pale ale dme
.5 lb. golden light dme
1 oz. styrian goldings
1 pack S-33
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 11:19:10 am »
I'm planning a two gallon batch of stout later today. I put a pound of dark roasted grains (8ozs. roast barley, 4ozs. Blackprinz, and 4 ozs. caraffa II) to cold steep overnight.
1.5 lbs. pale ale dme
.5 lb. golden light dme
1 oz. styrian goldings
1 pack S-33

You're probably going to want to boil those.  My featt is lactobacillus on the grain.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 12:26:56 pm »
1.5 lbs. pale ale dme
.5 lb. golden light dme
1 oz. styrian goldings
1 pack S-33

You're probably going to want to boil those.  My featt is lactobacillus on the grain.

Boiling the cold steep shouldn't be necessary. ~160 kills everything we brewers need to worry about, so as long as the steep is brought to at least that temp, even for just a few seconds, that'll do it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 12:53:42 pm »
1.5 lbs. pale ale dme
.5 lb. golden light dme
1 oz. styrian goldings
1 pack S-33

Boiling the cold steep shouldn't be necessary. ~160 kills everything we brewers need to worry about, so as long as the steep is brought to at least that temp, even for just a few seconds, that'll do it.

Yep.  In another message to Steve, I clarified that pasteurization temp was fine.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 11:11:24 am »
Because I wasn't paying as strict attention as I should have I had my first boil over (a small one) so it got well pasteurized.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women