Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Problems Fermenting Beer  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Barbas

• 1st Kit
Problems Fermenting Beer
« on: April 07, 2019, 06:52:26 am »
First of all let me say hi and a big thank you in advance,

I've recently started fermenting a new batch of beer. As I don't have a lot of equipment, I decided to use LME (Bavarian Wheat Pouch 4.7º Mangrove Jack’s), 500g of toasted malt (1200 IBU, 30min mash in water), 1kg of natural honey and the yeast that came with the LME.

I've done everything by the book, as I've done multiple times (this is my twelve batch). However, the yeast only fermented for a few hours, then.. they got stuck. Maybe?

I've done three things, aerating the wort, pitching bottled beer (1 week old from a previous batch that fermented perfectly with the same yeast used in this batch) and, seeing that nothing worked, I pitched the yeast that was available to me, a wine yeast, ES488 (the closest supply store to me is 200km..), with nutrients. Seeing that I was working with a wine yeast, I've pitched her as I was "pitching" wine (I'm a winemaker, so it's something I've done more times that I can count and, following protocol, every wine that I've inoculated has fermented pretty well), but, again, no signs of fermentation the following day. I've pitched the beer again, same method and same yeast, but without the nutrients. Again, for my desperation, no signs of fermentation.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows what could've gone wrong. I've picked my brain but came up with no good reason. Maybe the yeast was not viable? The LME/honey/toasted grains had problems? This is the second time it has happened to me, but last time I've managed to fermented that problematic beer pitching, again, bottled beer (and in that case it was fermented with different strains). It took some time, but the fermentation finished dry and the beer was good, fortunately.

Anyway, thanks for any input.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Problems Fermenting Beer
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:13:13 am »
What's the gravity reading?  That's the only way to know for sure.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tshearer

• 1st Kit
Re: Problems Fermenting Beer, Pliny the Elder clone
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 08:54:53 pm »
Got a Pliny the E extract kit from my local brew shop.  Brewed yesterday.  Pitched 2 x Safale US-05.  Normally by now, 24 hrs later, I’ve got an active fermentation/Krausen going.  Now it’s only burping about once every 5-10 mins.
Q: does this sound ok?   Would it hurt to pitch another yeast packet?

Dropped my hydrometer, didn’t get an OG reading.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 09:15:51 pm by tshearer »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Problems Fermenting Beer, Pliny the Elder clone
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 07:21:42 am »
Got a Pliny the E extract kit from my local brew shop.  Brewed yesterday.  Pitched 2 x Safale US-05.  Normally by now, 24 hrs later, I’ve got an active fermentation/Krausen going.  Now it’s only burping about once every 5-10 mins.
Q: does this sound ok?   Would it hurt to pitch another yeast packet?

Dropped my hydrometer, didn’t get an OG reading.

Thanks in advance

Check the gravity, it could be done.  Borrow a hydrometer from someone or get a new one to replace the one you broke.

Secondly, if the gravity is still too high check to make sure that you don't have any leaks in the lid of the fermenter (assuming you are fermenting in a plastic bucket).  That is usually the culprit.  You can also look in the bucket to see if you still have a layer of krausen on the beer,  If you do you let it keep going.  If the krausen has fallen, that is another clue that the beer may be done.

If you are fermenting in something like a carboy, swirl the beer around to rouse the yeast (assuming it is not done fermenting already).
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline tshearer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:21 pm »
Thanks for the response, Goose.
Good news, it starting perking up last night, today it’s burping along every 30 seconds(7 gallon carboy).  Got a new hydrometer today, is it worth it opening the carboy up - let oxygen in - for an OG reading?

Thx

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 05:03:38 am »
Now that is has started fermenting (or at least bubbling like it's fermenting) I would let it run for a while.  Once it slows down again I'd take a sample. 

This looks like a prime example of RDWHAHB" (Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew).  The yeasts work on their own timelines.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 06:56:59 am »
Now that is has started fermenting (or at least bubbling like it's fermenting) I would let it run for a while.  Once it slows down again I'd take a sample. 

This looks like a prime example of RDWHAHB" (Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew).  The yeasts work on their own timelines.

Paul

+1
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 07:08:10 am »
The yeasts work on their own timelines.

I often have to relearn this — usually the hard way — both in BBQ and Brewing. I forget I’m using agricultural products for a natural process. Sometimes the results exceed my expectations and sometimes I’m reminded that I’m not in charge and the results will be slightly different than what I expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk