Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Honey wheat beer extract kit: raw honey?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline FMbb

• 1st Kit
Honey wheat beer extract kit: raw honey?
« on: April 12, 2019, 07:24:30 pm »
I have done a simple american-style wheat using an extract kit recipe and 1lb of honey late addition. It was simple enough and gave good results. I am getting ready to make another batch and would like to try a more floral honey. Someone recommended Manduka honey, any thoughts on that?
Note it is a raw honey, so should I add it 5 mins before the end of the boil? but will this attenuate its floral aroma?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Honey wheat beer extract kit: raw honey?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 10:18:30 am »
Add it after the boil.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 10:38:06 am »
Coincidentally, I just finished reading about adding raw honey to beer in the book “The Complete Joy of Homebrewing”, and according to Charlie Papazian:

“Because of the presence of extraneous matter (beeswax, body parts, and wild yeast spores) in raw unfiltered ho ney, it should always be boiled with the malt extract wort or added at the end of the boil in order to pasteurize it. If filtered honey is used, it is still a reassuring practice to add the honey to the boil. During boiling, extraneous matter may be skimmed and removed from the surface.”

So maybe this information is outdated, I would still add the raw honey to the boil for at least 10 minutes.  IMHO.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 11:36:40 am »
Coincidentally, I just finished reading about adding raw honey to beer in the book “The Complete Joy of Homebrewing”, and according to Charlie Papazian:

“Because of the presence of extraneous matter (beeswax, body parts, and wild yeast spores) in raw unfiltered ho ney, it should always be boiled with the malt extract wort or added at the end of the boil in order to pasteurize it. If filtered honey is used, it is still a reassuring practice to add the honey to the boil. During boiling, extraneous matter may be skimmed and removed from the surface.”

So maybe this information is outdated, I would still add the raw honey to the boil for at least 10 minutes.  IMHO.
I think it would lose a lot of its aroma if boiled.  Pasteurizing only takes a few minutes at 160F, so I would add it after the boil, during cooling.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 11:00:58 am »

I think it would lose a lot of its aroma if boiled.  Pasteurizing only takes a few minutes at 160F, so I would add it after the boil, during cooling.
I agree.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 06:52:43 pm »
I have added at flameout and it works great. No need to sanitize the honey that seems to be the current thought today. I also have added honey directly primary fermentation.

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:22 am »
+1 to the idea of a late addition.  You only need the batch to be warm enough to easily dissolve the honey.  Similar to purduekenn, I've also done honey additions when racking to secondary without any problem.  And I always use raw honey.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 10:36:01 am »
My buddy who is a beekeeper gave me a jar of honey so that's what I will be brewing next. It's probably 1-1/2 lb or so. I will either be adding it at flameout (for simplicity) or near the end of fermentation (for impact). I also constructed the recipe with some honey malt to help accentuate any honey character I may get.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:38:54 am by gman23 »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 10:48:55 am »
@gman23 - Nice!  I always like using local honey when possible.  Another thing to keep in mind for the flavor is time.  I did a brown ale with honey a while back, and when we first tasted it after a month and a half or so, there wasn't a lot of honey flavor to it.  After another few weeks of maturing, the honey started really coming out.  I've experienced this same thing with other beers since.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 12:40:48 pm »
@gman23 - Nice!  I always like using local honey when possible.  Another thing to keep in mind for the flavor is time.  I did a brown ale with honey a while back, and when we first tasted it after a month and a half or so, there wasn't a lot of honey flavor to it.  After another few weeks of maturing, the honey started really coming out.  I've experienced this same thing with other beers since.

Thanks for the heads up! I still have issues with my patience to this day as far as letting beers mature.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale