Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maybe I could change my mind...  (Read 4973 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Maybe I could change my mind...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 08:48:04 am »
The greatest "job" in the world is doing something you love.

Maybe, but it hasn't worked that way for me.  I've killed my love of 2 different hobbies by turning them into jobs.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 08:56:16 am »
You already are a consultant Denny.  You're well established in the very upper echelon of the homebrewing cottage industry (think Palmer, JZ, Papazian, etc).  It sounds like you just need to find a way to make a few bucks at it without lugging sacks of grain around all day.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:59:11 am by SwashBuckling Drunk »

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 09:01:01 am »
That's very true Denny. Similar experience happened to my brother when he got a job in a brewery. He enjoys his work, but rarely brews anymore, instead vicariously enjoying homebrewing mainly by enjoying the HB's of his disciples (mainly my father and I). Sometimes when you do something all day, the last thing you want to do at home on your time off is that which you enjoy all day, I am in the same position too.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 05:05:26 pm »
Yeah, if brewing was more of a concern than hanging with Morimoto and getting to develop recipes with him and eat his food!
I'd rather hand with Morimoto, too.

beveragebob

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 04:43:07 am »
"opening a brewery in one of his restaurants in CA and can only use extract due to some local law."

Having lived in NorCal for 22 years and owning a beer company, that statement sounds strange to me. I'm speculating that there is probably space logistical issues. If they do a Nano Extract setup with limited fermentation and bright tank storage, they can offer in house brews and lay claim to being a brewery but, also probably have an extensive wine list being it is in the heart of Napa wine country.

Offline suprchunk

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 09:32:16 am »
... You're well established in the very upper echelon of the homebrewing cottage industry (think Palmer, JZ, Papazian, etc). ...

I wouldn't go that far.

I agree though, you shouldn't do it. It will definitely kill all you love about it. The fun aspect. If, on the other hand, you won't have to rely on it to live, and don't mind losing all you invested in it by just packing it in at a moment's notice, then go for it. I feel that you would probably regret all the blood, sweat, and tears if you felt you lost the passion and hung it up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 09:47:39 am »
Believe me, the compensation and perks I'd want if I did it pretty much insure that it will never happen.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 10:31:46 am »
Sounds like a great gig.  Have you officially been offered the job or ....
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 11:08:14 am »
Sounds like a great gig.  Have you officially been offered the job or ....

Me?????  Nope, no job being offered or discussed.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jfin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:50 am »
What crazy law wouldn't allow you to use malted barley?