Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lemon Zest Choice  (Read 1450 times)

Offline jackr

• 1st Kit
Lemon Zest Choice
« on: April 08, 2019, 03:40:48 pm »
Hello Fellow Brewers
A buddy and I are planning to brew a Honey Lemon Wheat beer soon. We zested Meyer Lemons to add during whirlpool and steep 20 min. Another friend used Meyer type lemon zest in his LemonCello liquor project (steeped in Vodka/sugar solution for weeks) and found the results terrible, unlike successful outcomes using "standard" lemon types from a grocery store.
Has anyone experienced bad results using Meyer lemon zest in beer, hot steeped as we plan to do? I know we should avoid using the white pith under the outer colored zest layer (very bitter).
My initial sense is that the type of lemon should not matter very much.
Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.
Jack R

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Lemon Zest Choice
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 06:51:47 am »
It is my understanding that most, if not all fruit, is protected with an outer film of a waxy substance to preserve color and freshness.  I’m not certain you would want that substance in your beer.  My suggestion is to use Pre-packaged lemon zest:

https://www.thespicehouse.com/lemon-peel-zest

Check with Spice House, but I believe this zest is pure.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
Re: Lemon Zest Choice
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:31:41 am »
I don't recall ever using Meyer lemons, so I can't speak to that directly.  But if you're concerned with the flavor that might come from them, you can do a preliminary test by steeping a little zest in some hot water ahead of time and see what it tastes like.  Should give you an idea of the flavor you'll be putting in to your beer.