Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New idea for a recipe - Weiss/Rye (New on the forum)  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
New idea for a recipe - Weiss/Rye (New on the forum)
« on: May 09, 2019, 04:58:01 pm »
Hey folks, I´m  brewing for a time now, but still in the beginning, most I follow book only modification on the grain or hops to try new things, now I´m creating recipe from my mind, I have one to brew in june, and I wonder what you guys think:
A recipe of a hop wheat and rye, I never have a problem with wheat before in my equipment, but never used rye.
the batch will be 5 gallons (19 L) using 6.6 (3 Kg) pound of malted wheat, 1.5(0.7 Kg) pound of malted rye, and 1 (0,4 Kg) pound of special B malt. For hopping will be using polaris (maybe change this one for Sorachi ace), hallertau Mittelfruh and cluster.
For the yeast gonna go dry, or safale K-97, for a clear beer, or munich classic, for a beer with more weiss characters, but I don´t like the banana taste in the beer.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: New idea for a recipe - Weiss/Rye (New on the forum)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:06:59 pm »
Welcome to the forum and to the hobby!  I like the idea of a wheat and rye beer.  One caution I have is that 1 pound of Special B malt is too much.  Try just 1/4 pound Special B, or none at all.  You can also safely double the rye malt but do be aware that it is very sticky so you might wish to add also 1 pound of rice hulls to ensure good runoff of the wort.

Good luck!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:16:13 pm »
Welcome to the forum and to the hobby!  I like the idea of a wheat and rye beer.  One caution I have is that 1 pound of Special B malt is too much.  Try just 1/4 pound Special B, or none at all.  You can also safely double the rye malt but do be aware that it is very sticky so you might wish to add also 1 pound of rice hulls to ensure good runoff of the wort.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips! maybe just 1/4 as you said and put some more rye, and I´m doing BIAB so not much of a problem with the wort, but what you think of the hops, I´m targeting 30-40 IBU

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:35 pm »
Thanks for the tips! maybe just 1/4 as you said and put some more rye, and I´m doing BIAB so not much of a problem with the wort, but what you think of the hops, I´m targeting 30-40 IBU

I love Sorachi Ace, and they work well in a weissbier.  I have never tried Polaris, might be interesting.  And Hallertau and Cluster are always solid choices in my opinion.  I would use a small amount of the Sorachi Ace or Polaris, so that they are not too overpowering.  Hallertau or Cluster would be good bittering hops and of course can also be added late in the boil.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 06:31:21 pm »
It that what I was think, I´m more interesting in the sorachi because of the mint candy taste that people say about polaris, and now just need to ajust the recipe and dosage, thanks very much for the help

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 01:35:58 pm »
Overall sounds like a fun beer.  The only thing I would suggest is to lower the bitterness to between 25 and 30. German Hefe has low bitterness (10-15 IBUs) and even American wheat beers usually top out at about 30 ibus.  You are adding the Soriachi for some lemony hop flavor, but with the Special B (and I totally agree with Dave that a lb of Special B is way too much), 40 ibus is going to clash with the malt a bit.   You want to let the malt flavors shine here, balanced against just enough bitterness.  I think 40 will tend to be over the top in this beer.

my .02

Good luck & let us know how it goes-
Steve
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 11:13:30 am »
Overall sounds like a fun beer.  The only thing I would suggest is to lower the bitterness to between 25 and 30. German Hefe has low bitterness (10-15 IBUs) and even American wheat beers usually top out at about 30 ibus.  You are adding the Soriachi for some lemony hop flavor, but with the Special B (and I totally agree with Dave that a lb of Special B is way too much), 40 ibus is going to clash with the malt a bit.   You want to let the malt flavors shine here, balanced against just enough bitterness.  I think 40 will tend to be over the top in this beer.

my .02

Good luck & let us know how it goes-
Steve

Steve thanks for the tips, gonna do this, what you think about a dry hop in this beer? gonna brew this and 2 more recipe in the summer, gonna have a lot of test in college right now, but I´m gonna post the update here, and another question, polaris or sorachi? I´m truly wanna use the polaris but  also I´m afraid of the mint candy taste. Overal the recipe is gonna be sorachi right now and not so much of special B.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 11:59:50 pm »
Sure, go ahead.  Dry hopping it will be fine.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge