Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raw ale?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Raw ale?
« on: April 09, 2019, 12:31:34 pm »
Anyone here do any no-boil all-grain brewing?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Raw ale?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 07:45:45 am »
Yes I do sours (sour worted) with them. I am currently doing one now.  I've begun doing a mash out to make sure nothing survives the mash and then avoid a separate pasteurization step (which I didn't do anyway).  I might try a NEIPA or another hazy beer style (wit?) over the summer because hanging around boiling wort in 80+F  weather is not my idea of fun.  I am talking myself into doing a wit, since a little lactic acidity if  the beer gets infected is refreshing and acceptable for the style.   

Offline oxenerangacc

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 12:01:04 am »
Waiting for other reply. Need to know also about this. Thanks

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:36:59 pm »
I have not done raw ale brewing yet. I've been very intrigued by it. My understanding from reading about various farmhouse styles is that the mash temp can be above the pasteurization temp, especially if you perform a mashout. This will prevent any spoilage bacteria from growing. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brandon

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 01:35:14 am »
I have done one. The idea here is that the mash is pasteurized so the points of potential infection are all the equipment touching wort as it leaves the mash. You need to be as diligent with sanitation with equipment between the mash tun and the fermenter as you would be with equipment racking from a boil kettle to the fermenter.

The flavor of raw ale is definitely different from a boiled beer even using typical brewing yeast. The one I did was fermented with WY1318 and I still had some of the flavors people detected using kveik yeast. A little mushroom flavor, more rounded grain flavor, etc.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing