Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Wanted - Upgrading to 10 gallon batches and all grain  (Read 2576 times)

Offline darvyle

• Cellarman
Wanted - Upgrading to 10 gallon batches and all grain
« on: November 22, 2010, 06:43:19 am »
I'm looking to upgrade from my 5 gallon extract setup to 10 gallon all grain.  These are things I'm looking for if you have any and live in the Philadelphia, PA area send me a PM with a Pic of the item you are willing to sell we can haggle over price.

15-20 gallon Pot
Mash Tun - I like bigger beers (as denny says life starts 60... 1.060)
Grain Mill - Something that i can attach my drill to for quick milling
Burner w/stand - I'm thinking i need something in the 200k btu and my 55k burner won't cut the mustard

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Wanted - Upgrading to 10 gallon batches and all grain
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:12:19 pm »
200K? I'm getting 100K burners and those are insanely large.....you sure about that?

One BTU is the amount of energy needed to heat one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit

So, ten gallons for easy math is 10*8.3= 83 pounds. If you want to raise that one degree you need 83 BTU's, so one hundred degrees (to get to 150º give or take) is 8300 BTU's so 8300/200000*60=2.49 minutes..... yeah, that's fast enough..... :o

(Someone set me straight if my math is effed up.....)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:45:32 pm »
For the mash tun, if you want to batch sparge look for deals on a 70 qt coleman xtreme cooler.  I just checked Amazon and it doesn't look like there's a good deal on them right now but I got mine for $36 and free shipping when I bought it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:07:28 am »
Check out brewhemoth.com and the Penrose Kettle

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 05:24:21 am »
For the mash tun, if you want to batch sparge look for deals on a 70 qt coleman xtreme cooler.  I just checked Amazon and it doesn't look like there's a good deal on them right now but I got mine for $36 and free shipping when I bought it.

That's EXACTLY the one I am looking at....... Walmart has it cheap, as much as I hate the joint.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 11:03:29 am »
200K? I'm getting 100K burners and those are insanely large.....you sure about that?

One BTU is the amount of energy needed to heat one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit

So, ten gallons for easy math is 10*8.3= 83 pounds. If you want to raise that one degree you need 83 BTU's, so one hundred degrees (to get to 150º give or take) is 8300 BTU's so 8300/200000*60=2.49 minutes..... yeah, that's fast enough..... :o

(Someone set me straight if my math is effed up.....)

The math assumes that no heat is lost to the surrounding air, or anywhere else.  (so it may take you a little bit longer) :)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 04:52:42 pm »

That's EXACTLY the one I am looking at....... Walmart has it cheap, as much as I hate the joint.

Ya can't go wrong with the 70 qt. Extreme, IMO, unless you get it in blue.   It seems to have been designed as a MLT more so than a cooler! Basically zero deadspace. Love mine.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member