Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NEIPA Process  (Read 1337 times)

Online skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
NEIPA Process
« on: March 16, 2020, 06:07:49 pm »
I know this is the "recipe category," but since I am sorta work-shopping this whole beer, from process to recipe, I figured this was the place. I don't really love this style -- brewed one once semi-accidentally (added dry hops at krausen to a 100% 2-row "hoppy blond ale" and basically got a decent NEIPA). But I am brewing for an event and thought I would make two beers for the full range of palates from "do you have a light beer?" to "mOaR hops." The other beer is a low gravity British Golden Ale made with 1318 and I am using the slurry from that to make the NEIPA.

I get the water profile ought to be like 150 Chloride to 75 sulfate (or thereabouts).

Workshop NEIPA Recipe

6 lbs GW pale ale malt
5 lbs Viking Pilsner malt
2 lbs Oat Malt
1 lb Carafoam
~2 oz Acidulated Malt (shooting for pH 5.3)
some rice hulls
~1.064

Mash at 153 for 60 mins

.1 oz some hops FWH
1-2 oz some hops 5 mins
4 oz some hops <180 F whirlpool 20 mins
4 oz some hops <140 F whirlpool 20 mins

1) Pitch about 10 oz of dense slurry at 62-64F and ferment at 64F
2) check the next day for krausen, add 4 oz dry hops at krausen
3) when beer appears nearly finished, raise temperature to 68-70F to finish and keg as soon as the dry hops have fallen to the bottom
4) Add priming sugar solution to displacement-purged keg (3-4 oz corn sugar boiled in 1.5 cups of water)
5) Add a "keg hop" container with 2-4 more oz dry hops to keg before kegging the beer and sealing the lid with CO2
6) Chill the beer 2 weeks after priming and serve within one week.

Now, I know there is more to do to prevent DO, but I am not going to do it because it is too difficult or requires buying something new. As for the hop selection, I was going to use some of whatever I happen to have that's a popular hop in NEIPA. For sure that means el dorado because I have a lot and I don't really like it. I will probably also use galaxy because I have a pound of it and it's in so many of these NEIPAs. And I will likely add some CTZ because I really feel like an IPA should have at least a little dankness. How much of each depends on how much El Dorado I have because I want to kill the rest of that 2018 pound.

How does this process and recipe look?

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Re: NEIPA Process
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 01:12:42 pm »
I know this is the "recipe category," but since I am sorta work-shopping this whole beer, from process to recipe, I figured this was the place. I don't really love this style -- brewed one once semi-accidentally (added dry hops at krausen to a 100% 2-row "hoppy blond ale" and basically got a decent NEIPA). But I am brewing for an event and thought I would make two beers for the full range of palates from "do you have a light beer?" to "mOaR hops." The other beer is a low gravity British Golden Ale made with 1318 and I am using the slurry from that to make the NEIPA.

I get the water profile ought to be like 150 Chloride to 75 sulfate (or thereabouts).

Workshop NEIPA Recipe

6 lbs GW pale ale malt
5 lbs Viking Pilsner malt
2 lbs Oat Malt
1 lb Carafoam
~2 oz Acidulated Malt (shooting for pH 5.3)
some rice hulls
~1.064

Mash at 153 for 60 mins

.1 oz some hops FWH
1-2 oz some hops 5 mins
4 oz some hops <180 F whirlpool 20 mins
4 oz some hops <140 F whirlpool 20 mins

1) Pitch about 10 oz of dense slurry at 62-64F and ferment at 64F
2) check the next day for krausen, add 4 oz dry hops at krausen
3) when beer appears nearly finished, raise temperature to 68-70F to finish and keg as soon as the dry hops have fallen to the bottom
4) Add priming sugar solution to displacement-purged keg (3-4 oz corn sugar boiled in 1.5 cups of water)
5) Add a "keg hop" container with 2-4 more oz dry hops to keg before kegging the beer and sealing the lid with CO2
6) Chill the beer 2 weeks after priming and serve within one week.

Now, I know there is more to do to prevent DO, but I am not going to do it because it is too difficult or requires buying something new. As for the hop selection, I was going to use some of whatever I happen to have that's a popular hop in NEIPA. For sure that means el dorado because I have a lot and I don't really like it. I will probably also use galaxy because I have a pound of it and it's in so many of these NEIPAs. And I will likely add some CTZ because I really feel like an IPA should have at least a little dankness. How much of each depends on how much El Dorado I have because I want to kill the rest of that 2018 pound.

How does this process and recipe look?

Hey Skyler how you doing?
The recipe seen good so far, I did one NEIPA, and like you I was not great fan of the style but after this one I loved. I used Pilsner malt, unmalted oats and wheat, I was try to create some good creamy body for the beer.
Now the hops I have a sugestion to you, I didnt use FWH, but did a bittering with warrior, and then only hopped in the hop stand, 0.5 oz of Cascade, Topaz, Yellow Sub and Hull Melon, after this in the fermentation used 0.7 of Citra, Topaz, Cascade, Yellow Sub and Hull Melon, then 0.5 oz of the same hops in the secondary, this get me a well made blend of citrus, yellow fruit, wild berries. Nice brew to you.

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 11:51:59 am »
The grain bill looks good.  I tend to stick with wheat and flaked oats but I have wanted to try other options to hopefully improve stability so I'm curious how it turns out with the oat malt.

My humble opinion is that you can take some hops out.  This is a 5 gallon batch, right? Recently an article came out stating that hop flavor reaches a saturation point around 1oz/gallon at which you don't get much more flavor from additional dry hops.   I follow that idea for my NEIPAs.  I just don't think Hops are expensive.  The Juicy Bits clone I used for my first NEIPA was in that ballpark and it turned out great.   

I've always  shot for 170 for the whirlpool but I think that is personal opinion.  The key there is to make sure to calculate the IBUs correctly based on the temp and time. 
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Online skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 02:23:17 pm »
The grain bill looks good.  I tend to stick with wheat and flaked oats but I have wanted to try other options to hopefully improve stability so I'm curious how it turns out with the oat malt.

My humble opinion is that you can take some hops out.  This is a 5 gallon batch, right?

I've always  shot for 170 for the whirlpool but I think that is personal opinion.  The key there is to make sure to calculate the IBUs correctly based on the temp and time.

Yeah, I read recommendations regarding Oat Malt vs. Flaked Oats for stability, so I thought I would try it. I have noticed very little difference between the two in stouts where I used ~10%, (aside from ease of lautering), so it seems worthwhile to try out oat malt.

As for hops -- when I brew with this amount of hops, I plan for a lot of waste. If I want to be sure to have 5 gallons in the keg, I plan for 5.5 gallons of clear beer in the fermenter. For that, I need 6-6.5 gallons in the fermenter because of the big load of dry hops, which requires 7-7.5 gallons in the kettle because of the trub and hop absorption. So, really, I am planning a 7 gallon batch, but there will be 6-6.5 gallons in the germenter. My plan for 4 oz "biotransformation" dry hops and 2 oz keg hops (which may also get biotransformed, since I intend to prime the keg for carbonation/O2-scrubbing purposes) actually was based on keeping close to 1oz per gal.